Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

The Entonates

This project happened because the band I'm in didn't have a PA system. We needed something for a singer to use as well as playback of recorded practices. I utilised what I had available. I had some 10" Eminence woofers and Adam donated the B&C CD/horns he won at MWAF last year. I had plenty of veneered MDF, so I made plenty of dust. The box is around 1cf. tuned to 50Hz. This was dictated by the highish Fs of the woofer. Crossover is around 2K, 24dB on the woofer, 18dB tweeter, electrical. The finish is Exohide. It was five bucks cheaper than Duratex, so I gave it a try. Seems to be the same stuff, thick like pudding. I only had two handles so I did one on top of each speaker. The grill material I picked up at a tent sale years ago. So all in I spent about $75. On with build pics.....

Comments

• So the weird brace..... It was an extension for the port. Luckily I tested it with out it as WinISD said I'd need it to get the tuning I was aiming for. Ended up a bit lower than expected with out it. It was the perfect width so I chopped it up into a baffle brace. Then I needed something from front to back. Can say exactly why my brain thought 1/4" dowel through all the pieces, but there it is.🤷🏻‍♂️

jr@macSteve_Lee
  • Hey, a Ryobi BT-3000/3001 table saw! I thought I was the only one using one. Yours looks pristine.

• Actually Ed, mines the Craftsman version. I've had it for ever, close to 20 years? I just replaced the power switch. Thing is super versatile with the router opening which I use the hell out of, even made an adapter for my jig saw for it.

• So here's the raw FR's

...and what I made of them

I tried a few simplified versions with 6/12 and 12/12, but none sounded as good as the 24/18. I had all the junk to do it, so I did.

Wolf4thtry
  • edited August 2020

Finished units. I have them rocking out in the basement now. The woofers are well broken in as I used them for bass duty back when I got them. They sound really good for what they are and definitely efficient👍🏻

jr@macJasonP4thtrydcibelSilver1omoRon_EtajanesTurn2ThumperTomGowaand 4 others.
  • Very nice, you'll have to let us know how durable the Exohide turns out to be in the long run.

• For sure, it seems pretty tough as is. Kinda scuffs easily, but would be tough to really hurt it. Bonus is you can touch it up unlike Tolex or vinyl.

• They look very professional!

• Thanks guys! I think these are the most squared up enclosures I've built. Totally surprised myself, and the parts were interchangeable, most of my stuff is A box and B box 😛

jr@macrjj45
  • Thay look great!

• @6thplanet said:
    Thanks guys! I think these are the most squared up enclosures I've built. Totally surprised myself, and the parts were interchangeable, most of my stuff is A box and B box 😛

So I'm not the only one who has the boxes & baffles marked A or B with sharpie.... ;)

rjj45
  • Did you make the grills?

• Nicely done - yeah, I'm still at the A vs B box stage of accuracy.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • @ugly_woofer said:
    Did you make the grills?

Sorta? I picked up like 5-6 2'x3' sheets of the material from a PE tent sale. I then cut it to size (angle grinder) then bent the edges. Clamped it to the end of my work bench and bent it over with a hammer. Old school👍🏻

• Oh yeah- A and B or 1 and 2 boxes for a reason, like different compensation networks for different drivers. Sometimes a bowed panel will mean shaving another board a smidge. Seems there is always a reason or 2 to have this arrangement.

• @6thplanet said:

@ugly_woofer said:
    Did you make the grills?

Sorta? I picked up like 5-6 2'x3' sheets of the material from a PE tent sale. I then cut it to size (angle grinder) then bent the edges. Clamped it to the end of my work bench and bent it over with a hammer. Old school👍🏻

Sweet, I was wondering if you hammered it into shape, nice job.

6thplanet
  • ...oh and used pieces of 3/8" fuel line as stand offs for the grill screws. Cut to the right length, they squish down and make for a nice damping effect.

• Those look great, btw. And you were smart to orient the handles the way you did. I always hated carrying cases & speakers that made you hold your arms way out.

• @Tom_S said:
    Those look great, btw. And you were smart to orient the handles the way you did. I always hated carrying cases & speakers that made you hold your arms way out.

At first I had it with the offset towards the speakers thinking it'd be right above the weight of the drivers. This did keep it level but actually rubbed my leg when walking with it. So I offset it towards the back, with the speakers still towards my legs, it kicks the bottom outwards a bit allowing more room for legs to not hit it.