Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

FS: Burl Walnut Veneer

2»

Comments

• @PWRRYD said:
    If you have some extra test material I suggest you try Dave Fred's technique. I have been using it now for a year or two and love the results. It's the 1:1:1 mix of boiled linseed oil, turpentine, and either gloss or satin oil based poly. Downside is that the turpentine makes the mixture stink! Upside is the fool-proof-ness and most importantly the final results!

What's the process with this? Stain then do the tri-mix. Add the stain in the tri-mix. No stain?

• After 30 days it will sand much easier....

R-CarpenterPWRRYDrjj45
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited October 2020

@Gowa said:
    I'm kinda stuck in this now and I will follow it through. Here's hoping my patience holds out.
    By the way, that flat black paint is amazing. I like it a lot.

I got some soy based finish stripper from Rockler, and it's pretty gentle, although the bottle says that it can even strip epoxy finishes! Since it doesn't have caustic solvents, the veneer and glue should not be damaged. Should work on that effed up PolyAcrylic. Sorry, I can't try it myself. Tossed my can of that Poly out after 1 use!

https://www.rockler.com/blue-bear-paint-urethane-stripper

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • @Kornbread said:

@PWRRYD said:
    If you have some extra test material I suggest you try Dave Fred's technique. I have been using it now for a year or two and love the results. It's the 1:1:1 mix of boiled linseed oil, turpentine, and either gloss or satin oil based poly. Downside is that the turpentine makes the mixture stink! Upside is the fool-proof-ness and most importantly the final results!

What's the process with this? Stain then do the tri-mix. Add the stain in the tri-mix. No stain?

First time I used it I didn't do any stain at all. The BLO slightly darkens the wood. This last project, curly maple veneer, I added a little pecan stain to the 1:1:1 mix for a little more color. Turned out great.

• That's the formula for DIY "tung" oil, isn't it? Works pretty well. You can use mineral spirits for a bit less fumes.

https://thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/make-your-own-oil-varnish-blend/

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited October 2020

DIY Danish Oil. Tung Oil is Tung Oil, or at least it should be, check the label.

This mix is really all Danish oil is, and if I were mixing myself I would use Tung over BLO, as BLO will darken over time.

rjj45
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I am definitely going to switch to mineral spirits next time. My wife gets mad at me every time I use the turpentine :s

• @PWRRYD said:
    I am definitely going to switch to mineral spirits next time. My wife gets mad at me every time I use the turpentine :s

If you are into low VOC finishing with oil, I highly suggest "Tried and True" oils
    If you want to spray a low VOC finish, I've heard Crystalac is wonderful.
    Even some of the water based polys have troubling fumes.

• Getting there.

dcibelkenrhodesR-Carpentersquamishdroc6thplanettajanesTurn2