Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Subwoofer end table

For a long time the wife has been after me to make a end table that matches our coffee table. As the upstairs also needed a subwoofer I decided to add a subwoofer to the end table. This is probably going to be a mistake. I'll post a picture of the coffee table when I can find it. This the upside down sub box with no legs or top.

More details to come.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
6thplanetkenrhodessquamishdrocPWRRYDjoeybutts

Comments

• Nice! Is that veneered MDF?

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Yes I veneered paperback Sapale on some crap MDF, then cut the panels to size. The edges got a 3/8 inch round over for the steel legs.

rjj45
  • Here's the coffee table at my previous house.

kenrhodesPWRRYDJasonPTurn2
  • Very nice John, what driver are you going to use?

• edited December 2020

Nick it's the 12 inch Ultimax in 78 liters. F3 of 32 sealed. Mated to a Crown XLS 1002 bridged.

kenrhodes
  • @jhollander said:
    Nick it's the 12 inch Ultimax in 78 liters. F3 of 32 sealed. Mated to a Crown XLS 1002 bridged.

You might need to Velcro the coffee cups down.

Ron

Wolfrjj45JasonP
  • I like the old lanterns on the shelf.

• I have a collection old lanterns and the railroad-glass insulators. Everything is still packed until I get some shelves made.

The wife has a glass table lamp that needs to get secured, we will see how long this lasts. I have to put a floor box in for the lamp and the speaker cable to the sub.
    http://www.aifittings.com/landing/flbr5420/

I plan to use the two keystones for banana jacks.

• Dang, those floor boxes are fancy smancy👍🏻

• Finished this up. Was able to successfully vibrate the couch and floor the wife's lamp stayed put, the Crown barely moved off the first power indicator.

PWRRYDsquamishdrocSilver1omorjj456thplanetGowaRon_EThumperTomD1PP1Njoeybuttsand 1 other.
  • How low will it have to be crossed in that position?

• edited January 2021

Classy, with lots of WAF! What's the finish?

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • The legs are from here https://www.modernlegs.com/
    I'm below 100Hz. I need to test some time as the receiver has a low pass and the Crown adds another 24 dB LR low pass.
    The finish is spray semi gloss lacquer 1K on unfilled Sapele. I had grain filled the coffee table, but think unfilled with semi-gloss is more natural. I like the golden sheen of the Sapele and have plans for grain filled high gloss project.

• The sapele looks awesome!

• edited January 2021

John,
    Looks great!
    I’ve been thinking of doing something similar and I’m curious as to how much it weighs and how much does it move? Maybe put a glass of colored water on top, play some rock, and record and post it for us?

rjj45
  • Not sure how long Youtube will leave the audio.

6thplanetrjj45Gowa4thtryScottS
  • edited January 2021

Thx! The table / beer looks somewhat surprisingly stable.

• That's freaking sweet dude, totally top notch stuff right there! 🤘🏼

• Heck of a nice job!

• Cool! Good match to the coffee table.

• Nice work John. How is it with drinks on it etc? Do they vibrate or remotes rattle on it.

• @D1PP1N said:
    Nice work John. How is it with drinks on it etc? Do they vibrate or remotes rattle on it.

That's what the video was suppose to show. Really not much vibration with music. Some movement with canon shots. I think the down firing helps.