Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Charlie's MCM Project

edited April 2021 in DIY

I finally got these finished. It was a complicated build and I spent a long time finishing them. Some of the hard wood trim had a lot of tear out and the sheet of NBL veneer I used liked to chip when trimming cross grain. I'm very impressed with how they sound. Solid bass down to 40Hz and lovely vocals and percussion. About the only thing they lack is a good name.

PDF attached.

Ron

dcibelrjj45joeybuttsGowajhollanderSilver1omokenrhodes6thplanetBilletBrannigansLawand 5 others.

Comments

• edited March 2021

PS The Fountek ribbon has been discontinued. It's been replaced with a new version that appears to be very similar.

https://meniscusaudio.com/product/fountek-rd1-0-ribbon-tweeter/

Ron

• Wow! Those look great!

• Ron, your writeups lack detail and your woodworking skills are barely adequate.

Just kidding, phenomenal. I learn something every time I look at your stuff. Well done, sir. Hope to see you and the missus this October!

Jim85IROCJasonP
    I have a signature.
  • Wow oh wow, is that nice. You provide me with aspirational goals!

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • 🤤🤤🤤
    Gorgeous.

• Reminds me of my 'Tudes and LouC's Cyclops in form factor.

• @jr@mac said:
    Ron, your writeups lack detail and your woodworking skills are barely adequate.

Just kidding, phenomenal. I learn something every time I look at your stuff. Well done, sir. Hope to see you and the missus this October!

I'll try to do better next time.

My 2 weeks post 2nd shot happened yesterday so I'm good to go for this fall.

Charlie got his speakers today and he's happy as can be. He's working on a project so it will be a few days before he gets them hooked up.

Ron

jr@macJasonP
  • That is a sweet-looking speaker for sure. Nicely done.

• In that picture next to Charlie they appear smaller than I imagined. Regardless, great work as usual Ron.

• Nice build... how did you achieve the two tone effect?

• Beautiful !

• Just stunning! I think you only build speakers to showcase your fine wood skills:)

• Those are sweet!

• My wife just saw these and said they were beautiful - and I agree!

• @ani_101 said:
    Nice build... how did you achieve the two tone effect?

If you mean the baffle edge trim and inlay, it's in the PDF.

Ron

• @Ron_E said:

@ani_101 said:
    Nice build... how did you achieve the two tone effect?

If you mean the baffle edge trim and inlay, it's in the PDF.

Ron

Thanks Ron, i didn't notice there was an attachment...

• Beautiful work Ron!

• Top-notch work, man👍🏻

• That picture on page 15 of the PDF "applying Watco natural finish" looks amazing. Fine furniture quality for sure. Really nice work!

• edited April 2021

HI Ron is a passive XO between mid/tweet and active XO between mid-tweet and woofer? looks like response shaping is added to both high/mid and bass.

I am planning to attempt something similar for some future builds, simple passive xo between mid and tweet and very low active xo to woofers/sub and general response shaping across the full range.

• You are correct Ani. The mid/tweeter crossover is passive with no high pass filter on the mid. The MiniDSP supplies the low pass filter for the woofer and the high pass filter for the passive crossover. There are 2 staggered shelf filters and 2 minor peaking filter on the woofer and a single minor peaking filter on the mid/tweeter passive crossover. The shelving filters do most of the work for baffle step compensation and the peaking filters were used to tweak the response to get it as flat as I could get it.

I just installed my MiniDSP into the Cherry Pi system so I can run computer USB digital and TV Toslink inputs and run analog back to the computer's Ultimate Equalizer software. Now I can switch digital inputs and change and mute the volume with the MiniDSP remote. I haven't tried it yet but in theory I should be able to EQ on the fly for those recordings that need a little help.

Ron

ani_101
  • Really nice work Ron, and the style is one that would actually fly with some of the interior design conscious younger cohort I know. I think those of us (like me) who want to get our DIY designs out into the world, even if just to make room for new ones, would do well to shoot for MCM as an aesthetic. This is going to be a focus of mine in the coming years; otherwise I will be making speakers solely for myself, and selling off a LOT of the parts shelf.

• @Ron_E said:
    You are correct Ani. The mid/tweeter crossover is passive with no high pass filter on the mid. The MiniDSP supplies the low pass filter for the woofer and the high pass filter for the passive crossover. There are 2 staggered shelf filters and 2 minor peaking filter on the woofer and a single minor peaking filter on the mid/tweeter passive crossover. The shelving filters do most of the work for baffle step compensation and the peaking filters were used to tweak the response to get it as flat as I could get it.

I just installed my MiniDSP into the Cherry Pi system so I can run computer USB digital and TV Toslink inputs and run analog back to the computer's Ultimate Equalizer software. Now I can switch digital inputs and change and mute the volume with the MiniDSP remote. I haven't tried it yet but in theory I should be able to EQ on the fly for those recordings that need a little help.

Ron

You can get a remote for the miniDSP HD, it used to cost 10$, might be a bit high now. MiniDSP can store 4 profiles which you can set with the remote, so you can load 4 copies of the XO/filters and tweak each a little bit for different types of recording.

you can also go a bit spendy and get the DiracLive plugin for the minidsp HD and have it further equalize for your listening position/room

• The remote is still $10 and it's what I'm using. DiracLive automates what anyone can do manually with measurement software.

Ron

ani_101kenrhodes
  • I got some feedback from Charlie last night and I have permission to share it. I've known Charlie for more than 50 years and he knows more electronics than anyone I know. He used to build speakers and 40 years ago designed crossovers for me.

"I'm really surprised how solid the bottom end is on these speakers. They have the bass punch of a sealed box. And they really go low.

I was using a sub with the previous ones, but these sound so much better. The sub I was using was nothing special, and it couldn't blend perfectly blend with the speakers as far as phase and crossover. These speakers eliminate the need for the sub to fill in the bottom end. As I mentioned, the living room/dining room here is really large
    (36'X21') but they fill it with no problem.

And I really like the dispersion. The small mid and ribbon put energy everywhere - not just directly in front. I'm writing this in my office, which is off the living room and down a short hall. They sound great even in here - the sound is balanced, I can hear everything - not just the bass.

The speakers are truly exceptional. I need to put them on "proper" stands - ones that look as good as they do. I currently have them sitting on Blue Apron (food) boxes."

Ron

6thplanetTurn2joeybutts
  • I have four of those woofers, I really need to investigate a project.

I have a signature.
  • I've never hesitated to recommend those woofers to anyone who would listen.

FWIW the two pair of speakers I'm demo'n in Indy next month both use those woofers.

• 2022 will feature a DakotaDIY, for sure.

PWRRYDTurn2kennykJasonP
    I have a signature.