Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

MCM + Vifa? all aluminum MTM

Comments

• We were supposed to get an inch or so of snow, but I didn't see a single flake :)

• We did wake up to a bit of snow that morning:

The great blizzard of April 2021.

kennyk
    I have a signature.
  • I shda taken a pic, but I didn't. Our proudly budding cherry tree looked like a weeping willow. Roads were warm, so no trouble there. All but melted by 1pm. But yeah, an honest 4-6" that night.

• So I found some left over, really really nice, oak veneer that I think I bought from Jim Holtz. I only have enough to do the sides and tops of these enclosures. So the bottoms will be completely unfinished and the backs will be just Duratex'd black. I'm ok with that... 🤭

jr@macrjj45
  • Now we are going to look at the undercarriage of builds , blew my game, sigh..

6thplanetrjj45Turn2
  • Why not just Duratex they bottom?

• I guess I will if it makes you guys feel better :p

• I think you should just put some kind of funny insult on the bottom - when we are at the next DIY you will be able to tell who was "lifting up the speakers skirts".

6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • Veneer...on the bottom of a loudspeaker...what is this you speak of??

• Maybe you could tile the bottom, for proper quasiprogmatic wave propagation control.

• Adhesive backed foam from the craft store.

• It should actually be a contest category: best naked speaker. Either MDF or plywood ok. Extra points for OSB.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • @Tom_S said:
    Veneer...on the bottom of a loudspeaker...what is this you speak of??

I do it all the time. It's great for MTM's. Scratch the top, jut turn it upside down.

Ron

rjj45kennyk
  • @ugly_woofer said:
    Adhesive backed foam from the craft store.

Done that!

• @rjj45 said:
    It should actually be a contest category: best naked speaker. Either MDF or plywood ok. Extra points for OSB.

Done that- Had a Rat-Rocker challenge for the theme one year at InDIY.

rjj45
  • edited April 2021

My son and I did a bunch of test pieces checking out what finish to apply to the oak veneer and the solid poplar baffles. It became quite obvious that the poplar baffles need a straight "clear" oil finish. The test samples look best with a 1:1:1 boiled linseed oil, satin poly, mineral spirits. Any attempt to add any color was a complete fail. They just looked blotchy and the grain pattern faided.

However, the oak veneer looks fantastic with one more part of "red oak" stain added. It makes the grain really pop.

Weather forecast looks nice enough that these should get their finish coats applied this week!

• Did you try a pre-stain treatment? IIRC, this was beneficial for others when staining Poplar.

• I've dyed poplar with pretty good results. I think my favorite was a dark stain on poplar

JasonPjr@mackenrhodesrjj45Turn26thplanetThumperTomkennyk
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @jhollander said:
    I've dyed poplar with pretty good results. I think my favorite was a dark stain on poplar

Hmmm, rubber bands? Naughty kids or smart pets? Looks great though.

• I think that was when I carried it up from the basement before adding the door catches

Turn2
  • Hrrrummmphhhh! For some stupid reason my veneer is lifting up at the seams :s

• Iron on?

• No. Contact cement. Never ever had a problem with this before.

• I had some glue adsorption issues on a laminate project where I had to go back and CA glue some edges. You might want to test or glue after you finish.

• @PWRRYD said:
    Hrrrummmphhhh! For some stupid reason my veneer is lifting up at the seams :s

After some issues with Titan DX contact cement, I switched to Heat Lock iron on and pat myself on the back
    everytime I use it.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Luckily I was able to fix the issues with CA glue this time. I think I'll go to Goodwill and buy a clothes iron and try the Heat Lock glue method next time. I am no fan boy of the contact cement as it's not super cheap AND its fumes are TERRIBLE. I've been using it because it's pretty straight forward and has never failed me.... until now :#

rjj45
  • After heat lock comes vacuum bag...

• Oh no.... not another rabbit hole

• I want to try hot hide glue.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.