Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Little Ones

I'm working on a set of desktop computer speakers. I'm going to use the Tectonic TEBM65C20F-8 woofer and Dayton ND16FA-6 tweeter.

The bottoms will be removable so I installed 1" x 1/4" plywood strips into a dado around the bottom edge of the cabinet.

These will be for my wife Cindy's computer and are designed to match an oak desktop organizer I built for her. Right now I'm waiting for the oak veneer to get here.

Ron

GeoffMillarrjj454thtry

Comments

• Him just a little guy.

• Hi Ron, do you have the FR measurements of the BMR?

• Not yet. I'll post them when I get them.

Ron

• I don't have them any more as the Oz website has deleted them, but the 'official' FR measurement for the BMR showed a large and extremely narrow dip at about 1500Hz, which I assume was some sort of anomaly. The rest of the graph looked really smooth.

Geoff

• this was what mine measured serval years ago on baffle with nearfield

PWRRYD4thtry
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I built a pair for Nick several years ago using four of these per side and a Vifa tweeter. Other than the dip (I also measured a spike in odd order distortion correlating to the dip), these are excellent drivers. the dip and distortion spike is not super audible.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    I built a pair for Nick several years ago using four of these per side and a Vifa tweeter. Other than the dip (I also measured a spike in odd order distortion correlating to the dip), these are excellent drivers. the dip and distortion spike is not super audible.

2.5 way or 2 way MMTMM? I liked the bass and the overall balance in John's micro challenge speaker

• 3-way.

I have a signature.
  • While everyone is partying in Indiana I'm slaving away over a hot iron applying oak veneer. ;)

Ron

jr@macS7910Silver1omokenrhodesrjj45kennyk4thtry
  • @jr@mac said:
    3-way.

Just plugged em in for a listen , they were the kids console speakers . Pretty cool speakers . I gave JR a HiVi tweeter to play with and he decided on the the vifa tweeter I believe. Guess Ill be listening to tonight ....

jr@mac
  • I've just about got the finishing done.

Ron

jhollanderrjj45kenrhodessquamishdrockennykS7910Gowa4thtry
  • They're ready to measure.

A quick check with DATS shows the port tuning came out within 3Hz. The sim showed a 62Hz tune and I measure 59Hz.

Ron

squamishdrockennykrjj45Gowa4thtry
  • Wow those are tiny!

• ,17 cu. ft.

• Cute little guys - veneer turned out niceπŸ‘πŸ‘

• Excellent craftsmanship on display, as usual!

• Awwww, adorbs!! 😊

joeybutts
  • First pass on the measurements and the port tuning is way off. I've never seen anything like it before. The port is adjustable so that's fixable. I'm really happy with the tweeter response. I took a quick listen to the woofer all by itself and it's very listenable running full range. The rising high end response probably helps my old ears.

The woofer measurements with summed port and NF with simulated baffle step merged with FF at 300Hz.

Ron

• I retuned the port to 64Hz and it's better. I can't tune it higher without taking it to the table saw.

Ron

rjj454thtry
  • I came up with a crossover that's a bit overkill for computer speakers but I have almost all the parts so why not. 24db/oct LR at 4Khz.

Ron

jr@macSilver1omokennyk4thtry
  • I wouldn't call that overkill at all. 9 parts for a two way isn't crazy over the top and the part values are pretty small. As long as you don't go with 12 or 14 gauge air core inductors LOL.

• My curiousity is how audible that rise and dip is between 1 and 2 kHz.

• @PWRRYD said:
    My curiousity is how audible that rise and dip is between 1 and 2 kHz.

I wouldn't hesitate to use this driver full range. The rise and dip are so narrow and close together they just might average out to your ear.

Ron

• John's design had it, and they sounded great!

• I had enough parts to do a crossover and they sound pretty good.

I think I'll have them done in time for Ankeny.

Ron

PWRRYDjr@macTurn2kennykrjj45S79104thtry
  • Awesome Ron. I'd love to hear them.

• The missing crossover parts arrived and one crossover is done. The bottom of the box is removable and I built the crossover on it.

Ron

kenrhodes6thplanetSilver1omo4thtry
  • They're all done after fixing a miss wired woofer and terminal plate.

The right and left speaker match pretty well.

I built the desk for my mother some years ago and inherited it when she could no longer use her computer. I recently built the oak desktop organizer for my wife who's been teaching nursing all year remotely. Now she has matching speakers which will be a step up from the speakers in her monitor.

Ron

kenrhodesjr@macsquamishdrocjhollanderSilver1omotajanesTurn2ugly_woofer6thplanet4thtryand 4 others.
  • That's sweet.