Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Terminating foil coils

How do you guys go about it ? I wonder if there isnt something better than just wrapping the foil over the leads and soldering.

Comments

• I like to solder to solid-core wire. Use the foil lead as a sleeve, insert the cleaned enamel wire or copper rod or romex wire into the sleeve and solder. Make it close to the body of the coil, and then apply a glop of E6000 atop of it for holding power.

In fact, I like applying E6000 to the cellophane tape amidst the layers if it is not melted/bonded to make it a more solid structure and prevent kinking of the tape upon mounting. Wax-coil, Cross-coil, Erse brand, and SOLO seem to be rigid enough to not worry about it. However, I've had Alpha-Core/Goertz with the bottom bonded and the top is not. It helps in this case.

Of course, an eyelet helps for the other end connection if you use thick copper. I know the image should likely have the coils orthogonal for better results, but the space was tight and it suffered no illness due to placement.

• Here is my solution. On my "Totally Flat MK II" speakers, I used .05mH foil type inductors on the tweeter notch filters. After laying out all the xover parts, I drilled a hole for the inductor and mounted it with a nylon machine screw and nut. I then drilled holes for the multi-position solder lugs, carefully positioning them so that the flat side of the lug aligned perfectly with flat side of the tinned inductor foils. Applying solder and flux produced a secure connection across the entire flat side of the foil and lug. No need to drill holes in the foil.

Billetrjj45
  • I found another foil soldering example from my Plantanic speaker archives. In this particular case, I clamped and then drilled small holes through the foil to accomodate 6-32 brass machine screws. Then, I double nutted long 6-32 brass screws to the crossover boards to serve as tie points. Finishing was a simple matter of slipping the foil and several other wires onto the brass screws and then applying solder.

rjj45
  • Damn, I was pondering this exact solution today - great idea, I'm just not an innovator I guess 😊

4thtry
    I have a signature.