Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Call me super dedicated... or just plain Crazy!

So it's only 24 F here now, but sunny and dry. So I bundled up and rolled my table saw / router table out to the driveway (I don't have a wood working shop). I flush trimmed the enclosures and rounded over the ports. It's supposed to be even colder here tomorrow and we don't have any plans, so I want to spend the day taking measurements. Hopefully these will be ready for InDIYana.

4thtryBilletGowasquamishdrocSilver1omorjj456thplanet

Comments

• Yes I agree...

4thtry
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited March 2022

Yep - You've got the fever!

ugly_woofer4thtrySilver1omo
  • edited March 2022

As long as you are wearing safety glasses, gloves and a jacket, you should be OK. Looks like you got quite a bit done. Will these be the ones with felt applied to the baffles?

Edit: I applied the oil finish to my speakers about a month ago. Hoping for warmer weather so that I can go outside and spray lacquer.

• I’ve been cutting wood in my carport the past couple weekends, it’s barely above 0 C here. It snowed today and will be cool and rainy Tomorrow and I’m still going out to cut stuff some more.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Hats off to you and your energy/dedication to the hobby, man!

=)

• Hardcore.

• edited March 2022

Honestly 5-10 deg C weather is great to work in . 0 gets chilly but mostly just handling metal.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • No Craig, you are crazy. It's rubber rooms and straight jackets from here on out.

rjj45
  • It was 25° when i cut the baffles and holes in January for my Purveyors. Still tinkering with xover.

• Ok so besides Nick I'm not the only one ;)

• Time for measurements!

6thplanet4thtrysquamishdroc
  • @4thtry said:
    Will these be the ones with felt applied to the baffles?

Yes. They will also have black cloth grills. Not sure if I'll have them covered in veneer and finish in time for InDIYana though.

• Beston RT003C - liked them in your Stances

Scanspeak 10F/8422-03-specials - almost identical to TC9FD-18-08 with a nicer surface mount frame

SD215A-88 - used them before, great bass in about 1 Ft^3 ported

• edited March 2022

I thought the mid looked like the TC9, but the frame was wrong. Guess i was kinda right there too.
    The DS215 and SD215 look similar until you see the magnet size and extra terminals. Yes, great bass in my Zingers too! You might want a 2.5" diameter port thoughif that is not.

Don't acaust the Beston when you take measurements. Accept its faults and run with them. It is not the cleanest example of treble but sounds very good. I used it to about 3.2kHz, and it dies below there like a stone dropped in a pond.

• edited March 2022

Yes those are 2.5" ports.

• Couldnt tell for sure, good call!

• I took a bunch of preliminary measurements today without the grills installed (not built yet) or felt applied. The Beston RT003C measured really nice on axis and off. Nothing to sweat about with them. Unfortunately one was D.O.A. I'll call PE tomorrow and request a replacement.

On axis the Scanspeak mid has about a 3 dB dip right at 2kHz. So for fun I installed a TC9FD and remeasured. It has the exact same dip on axis. Luckily both drivers clean right up at 15 degrees off axis and beyond. Since there will be grills installed hiding what the drivers actually look like I think I'll stick with the TC9FD. For no other reason than I still have almost a dozen on my shelf.

• Q- did your RT003C have terminals or just solder-pads? The manufacturing has changed for those since the terminals would snap off easily. They shifted to solder-pads early last year at the manufacturer.

• Both have terminals.

• @Wolf said:
    Q- did your RT003C have terminals or just solder-pads? The manufacturing has changed for those since the terminals would snap off easily. They shifted to solder-pads early last year at the manufacturer.

Yup... I snapped a terminal off of my RT003C when doing final assembly on the Indium 7's. PE came through with another just in time for the widebody competition at InDIYana.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • As always PE steps up to the plate. A new RT003C is on the way!

Absolutely beautiful weather here today. Just got home from work, gonna start making the grills. F13 felt from McMaster-Carr should be here tomorrow.

ScottS
  • 1 vote for crazy here, although this week's weather won't require craziness to perform outdoor woodworking.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

• Nothing too exciting going on here... these will be painted flat black tomorrow then wrapped with some black grill cloth from PE.

The 1/2" thick F13 felt should be here tomorrow too, so I can start experimenting by taking measurements and find out the best solution.

Steve_Leerjj45
  • Those mdf grills look nice. I have some felt rolls that Mark gave away at one Indiyana event if you want to try something else. I've also bought 1/2 wool batting from JoAnn's.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited March 2022

@PWRRYD - thanks for the the reference to the McMaster-Carr felt. You, or anyone else, what width do you usually use? I see you are getting 1/2", but any opinions (or measurements) on 1/4" or 3/8"?

• 1/2" thick, 1" wide, 10 feet long, F13. I got the plain felt with no adhesive backing. I'll be experimenting with placement this weekend.

• Any thoughts as to slightly spacing the felt strips as in a quasi-diffuser arrangement? I don't know if internal diffusion is a thing (in combo with absorption / dampening) but I'm thinking about it for my current build.

• @tajanes said:
    Any thoughts as to slightly spacing the felt strips as in a quasi-diffuser arrangement? I don't know if internal diffusion is a thing (in combo with absorption / dampening) but I'm thinking about it for my current build.

Based on my reading of DLR's site some years ago, I think the factors are distance of tweeter to felt, thickness of felt, and density of felt. I don't think additional "strips" other than the initial "edge" will make a difference, but of course measurements will tell....

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • sorry, I was thinking of internal - for back wave / reflections