Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New desktop speakers

edited March 2022 in DIY

Put together some new desktops. RS125p4 and H1212, Dayton amp board, passive xo. While the H1212 isn’t the best tweeter ever, I’m really happy with the integration I ended up with.

Crossover got busier than I wanted but the narrow baffle with sharp corners, and the reflection dip from desktop use forced a little more crossover work.

Color is Dodge Gomango. Vinyl is Vvivid carbon fiber. No project name at the moment.

rjj45joeybuttsugly_wooferSteve_LeeBilletRon_ESilver1omosquamishdrocTurn2tajanesand 3 others.

Comments

• Those look cool!

• Nice job - I like your choice of colors 👍

• Very nice! I like the carbon fiber side plates. Is the Vvivid wrap easy to work with?

• very cool !

• Bitchin!!!

• What are the dimensions?

• Cool looking profile and color contrast! Will you be bringing these to Ft Wayne next month?

• Great look. I'm interested in some more info on the plate amp, too. Requests to build a portable, bluetooth speaker system are pretty common.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Hey thanks for the nice feedback gents!

• @Tom_S said:
    Very nice! I like the carbon fiber side plates. Is the Vvivid wrap easy to work with?

Short answer..no..

At least not this carbon looking stuff. Did not stretch or stick well, even to itself.

• edited April 2022

@4thtry said:
    Cool looking profile and color contrast! Will you be bringing these to Ft Wayne next month?

Thanks! No unfortunately I’m not seeing any events in my near future..I was hoping to hit it up this year but I have too many irons in the fire.

It’s funny though that you bring up Ft. Wayne as I’m restoring a 73 IH Scout and the paint on these speakers is what I chose for the Scout, and the Scout was made in Ft. Wayne, so would have all made sense in some weird way to have them there!

Billet
  • @a4eaudio said:
    What are the dimensions?

I’d have to measure them again, I’m not by them at the moment. They are about 0.18ft3 iirc. Sorry I know that’s vague but I have no data in front of never the moment.

• edited April 2022

@ScottS said:
    Great look. I'm interested in some more info on the plate amp, too. Requests to build a portable, bluetooth speaker system are pretty common.

It is just one of those Dayton kab amp boards, wondom clones iirc. This is an old kab-250 that I already had. If I had to buy a new one I’d get the new dsp ones and go active since in the end it would be cheaper than adding passive crossovers.

The control plate is an accessory Dayton makes now for them. It’s pretty slick since it comes with standoffs for the board. It actually sounds quite good for a low volt low buck class d board. I’d definitely use them for future projects.

I know one issue of these early ones, at least the 250, is the Bluetooth output is lower than the aux in and the way the board is setup apparently limits output to the point you were just as good off to get the 2x30.

I had to drill a couple holes in the control panel and add the binding posts as outputs for the other channel.

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-KAB-PMV3-Panel-Mount-for-KAB-v3-Boards-with-Function-LED-and-Install-Kit-325-116?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4oDcxpz09gIVYG1vBB2HygleEAQYASABEgKwffD_BwE

https://www.parts-express.com/search?order=relevance:desc&keywords=Kab

• Yep, I've been to the old Harvester lot.

dynamo
  • I'm assuming you used a heat gun with the vinyl? I found it pretty easy to work with as I used it to wrap interior parts in my car.

• I didn’t on these since they were just flat panels, which I’ve done before without heat without issue. The backing just seemed different than other vinyls that I could at least get to stick to itself decently. If I ever re-wrap them I’ll try heat.

6thplanet
  • Those are some really cool desktop speakers. You got the height just right it looks like too.
    It's a nice look. I'm too afraid to do colors it seems, I stick with veneer, but I should branch out a bit, those really pop!

TomZ

• edited April 2022

Thanks Tom, my first time trying anything like this but I really like it. Lots of things I learned for next time, and like everything I build it looks much better from 10 feet away or in a small photo!

You should give it a shot, I can only imagine what you could do with some auto paint since your speakers always look top notch. Compared to others here I definitely fit into the category of “hack” lol!