Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Next build: Kallah 2way for my wife

edited May 2022 in DIY

After hearing the SB12PFCR25-4 at InDIYana with no filtering whatsoever, I was highly impressed and offered to by them from Mark on the spot! I knew that they would make a great little speaker for my wife's new office. Started work on the cabinets yesterday. True 1/2" BBply from Menards. miters on the shell and back. She has decided on simple black scheme with sparkle and since I still have some left over from my nieces speaker, win-win. The enclosures are sitting at 6.5w x 11h x 9d for an internal volume of 5.6L, 0.20 cu ft with a 1.5" port, 6" long for an Fb of 58 and F3/6/10 at 51/45/40. No sub for this application and I will probably use only 2-3db of BSC due to location (desk top, close prox to wall, port on baffle.

Link to woofer:
https://meniscusaudio.com/product/sb-acoustics-sb12pfcr25-4/

As for the tweeter, I am undecided and will probably try a couple. In the inventory, I have a pr of Airborne RT20021s:
https://meniscusaudio.com/product/airborne-rt20021/

A pr of Peerless DX20BF00-04s
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-1472--tymphany-dx20bf00-04-spec-sheet.pdf

A pr of Beston RT003Cs:
https://meniscusaudio.com/product/beston-rt003c/

A pr of SB26STCNs (way over kill!)
https://meniscusaudio.com/product/sb-sb26stcn-4/

and a pr of Dayton ND20FA-6
https://meniscusaudio.com/product/dayton-audio-nd20fa-6/

I am leaning toward either the airborne or Peerless. Haven't seen anyone using the Airborne. Little more challenge with the crossover but should work out ok. The Peerless I think is a bit of a hidden gem if the factory graph is accurate.

Should have some more time in the next few days to cut a couple of test baffles to try out.
I can finally get back into the shop post surgery and recovery and have already built these and a short tower for a car audio company! More on those soon as well.

Kallah is Hebrew for bride. This is how I refer to my wife; always my bride.

meniscussquamishdroc

Comments

• IMHO SB19 should be on your list.
    Or if you really want a challenge try a tweeter with cap and resistor only.
    Anxious to see what you come up with.

Steve_Lee
  • I know the SB26STCN's are way overkill but I sure do love them!

• I have used several of the Airborne tweeters. Love the sound, and easy to work with.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • @kenrhodes said:
    IMHO SB19 should be on your list.
    Or if you really want a challenge try a tweeter with cap and resistor only.
    Anxious to see what you come up with.

I've used the SB19. Not a real fan of that one honestly.

Turn2
  • @PWRRYD said:
    I know the SB26STCN's are way overkill but I sure do love them!

Yeah, it is. I paired it with the Zaph woofer. Really easy to work with. But I don't need to cross at 2k either lol

• edited May 2022

@isaeagle4031 said:

@PWRRYD said:

Yeah, it is. I paired it with the Zaph woofer. Really easy to work with. But I don't need to cross at 2k either lol

Overkill or not... she's your Kallah! Give her the best stuff you got. I bet she will listen to them more hours every day than I listen to my projects per week or even month... just sayin Mac Daddy B)

What are you saving them for? A rainy day or sumtin?

rjj45Steve_Lee
  • @PWRRYD said:

@isaeagle4031 said:

@PWRRYD said:

Overkill or not... she's your Kallah! Give her the best stuff you got. I bet she will listen to them more hours every day than I listen to my projects per week or even month... just sayin Mac Daddy B)

What are you saving them for? A rainy day or sumtin?

Lol nah, just part of the herd sitting here. And for sure, she will listen to them more than I get to listen to any of my builds lol

• I would feel bad if I gave my wife the Daytons or the Bestons 😀

PWRRYDrjj45Steve_Lee
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @isaeagle4031 said:

I've used the SB19. Not a real fan of that one honestly.

In this implementation I think it would be crossed high enough to sound good. I too have heard it sound bad a few times.

• Love those Bestons, they can do 3.2k, so should work well. C and R for sure there if xover high. Not unlike the older HiVi RT1n, Robert Bantly used them with an FR125. Used a 0.33uF and appropriate R.

• I kinda feel like the little Dayton is overpriced now, even factoring in supply chain issues. Plus, I have had consistency issues with more than one Dayton tweeter.

PWRRYDrjj45Wolf
  • @Tom_S said:
    I kinda feel like the little Dayton is overpriced now, even factoring in supply chain issues. Plus, I have had consistency issues with more than one Dayton tweeter.

I never liked the ND20, but a recent build with the ND25 shows that it is much better (IMHO)

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I like the ND25F. Much less benign sounding than ND28. I like the DSN25F4 too.
    I've had bad/defective Daytons:
    DSN25f4
    ND28F6
    RST28F4, B STOCK, fixed them
    PT2a
    Um8-22
    But I've had TB, PRV, and others too.

Turn2
  • If I am going to go overkill, I might as well go REALLY overkill! Old school CSS LD25X!

BilletjhollanderPWRRYDkenrhodesrjj45
  • @isaeagle4031 said:
    If I am going to go overkill, I might as well go REALLY overkill! Old school CSS LD25X!

Exactly! Because she is worth it!

Steve_Lee
  • Why again is the LD25X overkill? (a rhetorical question, no need to answer) A great sounding wide range driver plus a great sounding tweeter very likely equals great sound. I see no problem here =)

• I totally get it, the SB full range is a great little driver, but it's seriously outclassed by the CSS. If it were me, I would opt for one of your cheaper choices. Even the SB26 is acceptable. I vote Beston or Airborne.

rjj45
  • Beston or the Peerless DX20 would get my vote. I have been happy with both and both will integrate with the SB12. The Airborne might work. It looks a lot like the Dayton Mini-8 though, which doesn't output much below 5 kHz.

VCORPUZ23
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • The SB26 and the Beston are now the same price, $38 😟. That said I'd seriously use the small form factor SB26STCN. Should make a wonderful sounding small speaker and visually it's a good size match with the SB12PFCR25-4.

rjj45Turn2
  • Well one of the airbornes is junk. Nothing below 10k! The ld25x is in there and wow are they nice! But matching these 2 up was more of a challenge than I would have expected. Doable for sure but takes a bit of work to get there. 3rd order electrical is unexpected. May drop the 26stcn in there as well

• edited May 2022

At first blush it looks like the SB12PFCR25-4's response & impedance is very similar to the more expensive SB12NRX25-4. For a prototype you could try using Jeff's very simple Sopranos (SB12NRX25-4 & 26STCN) crossover. It crosses the SB26STCN quite low, but I doubt if your wife will be blasting her speakers. Just a thought.

PWRRYD
  • @Ed_Perkins said:
    At first blush it looks like the SB12PFCR25-4's response & impedance is very similar to the more expensive SB12NRX25-4. For a prototype you could try using Jeff's very simple Sopranos (SB12NRX25-4 & 26STCN) crossover. It crosses the SB26STCN quite low, but I doubt if your wife will be blasting her speakers. Just a thought.

They are close and I would suspect a drop-in replacement. I used a very similar low pass as Jeff. Mine is just a second order, no resistor on the woofer cap. And 3rd order on the tweeter. It doesn't really NEED the extra protection as these won't be played with any real volume and at a 2.1Khz crossover point, no real danger there.
    Listening now. Really like them and have to question if she is going to get them now LOL

joeybuttsTurn2rjj45
  • edited June 2022

You musta liked it; otherwise you wouldn’t have put a shorting ring on it. :p

the MW13P-4 is The Bride

• Couple of teaser pics. My wife asked for black with sparkle lol

• So???? What tweeter won?

• Did you add sparkles to Duratex?

• @PWRRYD said:
    So???? What tweeter won?

The css ld25x, old school. I used these originally in my Intrepid build. Only fitting they go here. Made the crossover super easy too!

Billet
  • @ugly_woofer said:
    Did you add sparkles to Duratex?

No, just exterior grade black, 2 coats, then a couple of coats of Rustoleum glitter and clear coat.