Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

How many drivers do you have?

edited March 2023 in DIY

Charlie’s recent sale of over 100 drivers got me thinking.

1. How many drivers do you have?
  2. How long have you been in this hobby?
  3. What are the reasons for having that number of drivers?
  4. Do you like stock drivers? custom drivers? Buy- out drivers. If so and why?

5. If you could do it again, would you do it this way or a different way?

Someone told me they don’t like designing with unavailable drivers. I get that-
one of my favourite subwoofers and woofers are soon to be discontinued.

It’s an absolute gem and is still available at a great price.. if I don’t grab it will soon the go the way of the dodo. But then no-one else can build this design. What to do?!

How many drivers do you have
  1. On the shelf/in storage/not attached to cabinet13 votes
    1. <3
        0.00%
    2. 3-30
      15.38%
    3. 30-300
      84.62%
    4. >300
        0.00%

Comments

• edited March 2023

Oh good lord , loaded question. Been collection buying drivers since 2004 ? maybe earlier ? Im not sure of the driver count but most are " higher end" drivers either on sale from the typical suspects or through other sources IE online classifieds, DIY friends. Most of my " collection " are of the Vifa flavor.

Steve_Lee
  • You think I'm going to document that where my wife can find it. Ha! Momma didn't raise no fool.

tajanesSteve_Leerjj45Wolf4thtryVCORPUZ23
  • edited March 2023

How many drivers on hand sitting on the shelf?
    28, soon to be 32.

How long have I been in this hobby?
    About 20 years now I think

What are the reasons for having all these drivers?
    I peruse sale ads for good deals, and try to only purchase drivers that I have a plan in mind. Only a few of the collection don't have a plan or are collected from other discarded speakers.

Sock? Custom? Buy-out?
    Don't care, don't care, don't care. Does it perform well? Is it good value? Is it interesting? Does it fit into something I would want to build? Those are the questions. "Stock" drivers generally fall into the most likely purchase, as the most likely to have some reliable data available, so less risky purchase. However discontinued / rare drivers at a good deal can be especially attractive, it feels good to have something unique and special that can't easily be replicated.

It’s an absolute gem and is at still available at a great price.. if I don’t grab it will soon the go the way of the dodo. But then no-one else can build it. What to do?!
    Purchase it, build something with it and enjoy it. Sucks to be those other guys ;)

Steve_Lee6thplanet4thtry
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited March 2023

1, I don't know any more. Between 100 and 300.
    2, over 20 years.
    3, Started with Radio Shack drivers, bought out a relative's stash of drivers. Bought some that were interesting and better than Rat Shack. Door prizes, gifts, experiments, manufacturer promotions, etc. I inherited a huge stash from a former builder from his generosity when he passed away (not Jeff). I have sorted out and given or sold quite a few of the inherited group, but that still leaves quite a lot.
    4, I really have no preference in what I've acquired under the criteria list, but the majority have been stock or off the shelf. However, I have modified for improvement when deemed necessary at times. I typically look at the buyouts of quality from reputable manufacturers, and only buy cheaper ones for cost savings alone.
    5, No, I have learned so much over the years for this or that reason. Much of which is priceless knowledge I would not have otherwise learned.
    6, While I like availability, and repeatability is something for vendors, as well as keeping replacements viable due to damage, age, or misuse, it is not a core reason for building. I use drivers because I want to try them or they look interesting.
    7, sometimes the early bird gets the worm. Or is it the last adopter is better than those after?

Steve_Lee6thplanet4thtry
  • @tktran said:

I like how Wolf numbered the answers. Tktran, if you can still edit the original post you should add the #s to the questions.

Steve_Lee
  • Got 86 drivers in the stock room in the shop.
    I have been playing around with audio as long as I can remember but only got serious about it in the last 3 years which is when I started collecting drivers as I saw good deals and came up with combinations for projects that have yet to materialize.
    Getting older sucks because I cannot knock out driver boxes like I used to do and now I am a dust control fanatic in my shop which keeps me from doing much with a hand-held router.
    Gotta fix that - maybe a $3K high pressure/high air volume dust collector coupled to a good dust controlled router will get me motivated?

I buy drivers for me because I am in the DSP realm - none of my designs will be affordably transferred to another person.

4thtry
  • I also should state, I have plans for most of the drivers I have on hand.

Steve_Lee
  • I have over 100 drivers including a case of NS6-255-8A 6" drivers.
    I've been building speakers for close to 50 years as near as I can tell.
    I have lots of drivers because there are too many deals and plenty of people to make speakers for.
    I'll use any driver that will do what I want to do the job for me. I've been a fan of the Peerless HDS drivers for a long time and it's sad to see them go.

Ron

Steve_Lee6thplanetrjj454thtry
  • @tktran said:

How many drivers do you have?
    How long have you been in this hobby?
    What are the reasons for having that number of drivers?
    Do you like stock drivers? custom drivers? Buy- out drivers. If so and why?

If you could do it again, would you do it this way or a different way?

Someone told me they don’t like designing with unavailable drivers. I get that-
    one of my favourite subwoofers and woofers are soon to be discontinued.

It’s an absolute gem and is at still available at a great price.. if I don’t grab it will soon the go the way of the dodo. But then no-one else can build it. What to do?!

1. I believe 126, of which 55 are old school Radio Shack drivers in my museum.

2. I started tinkering in 1992 (see Radio Shack collection). Got seriouser in about 1998 (started using CAD), and really serious around 2008.

3. The Radio Shack stuff is a serious collection, the rest are because they are interesting for whatever reason. Mostly though, I like to use stuff other people will never use so I tend towards oddball shit and NLA and the like so when I see something interesting I buy it. No real plans for quite a few of them, it is just a cool albeit hyper-niche collection.

4. Wouldn't change a thing, the universe unfolds as it must.

5. I like fun drivers. Sometimes those are off-the-shelf items but generally not. I went through a phase where I only used woofers found in commercial designs, for example. I usually liquidate every couple of years to make room for my next impulse buys or a new phase.

6. I don't publish the majority of my designs because they are usually not reproducible for whatever reasons. Others I have not published for other reasons, typically because they are what I consider a failure. I used to share every design I did regardless of how reproducible or not they were. I also used to fret about doing designs that were able to be built by others, but I kind of outgrew the need to be validated by total strangers. Probably why I have no kits available, although I do have a design in the pipeline right now that will likely end up as a kit.

The point to number six is... if you are worried about publishing a design with a soon to be NLA driver, you are building for the wrong reason. Not very many people are going to build your design anyways (most of us have very few of our designs built by others - myself definitely included), so just do it for yourself. You will find another woofer that fits your needs - and there is always another contender on the horizon. Peerless pulling out of the DIY market just opens it up for other players to step up. Pretty big hole for someone not to take advantage.

Steve_Lee4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • @Wolf said:
    I also should state, I have plans for most of the drivers I have on hand.

I had grandiose thoughts for most of them . Just tough to build and get them to fruition.

Steve_Lee
  • How many drivers do you have?

100, 50 plus pairs

How long have you been in this hobby?
    =39 years if you count car audio, more like 30 if it's home stereo stuff, MWAF since 2011, only missed placing my first year =)

What are the reasons for having that number of drivers?
    = Potential builds, new concepts to try.

Do you like stock drivers? custom drivers? Buy- out drivers. If so and why?
    = Stock drivers in case I need more or I blow one up. I've been burned with crappy drivers that were not close in measurements.

If you could do it again, would you do it this way or a different way?
    = Buy more expensive drivers. Ask more stupid questions and be wrong more often.

Someone told me they don’t like designing with unavailable drivers.
    = Me too, in case I need another.

It’s an absolute gem and is at still available at a great price. if I don’t grab it will soon the go the way of the dodo. But then no-one else can build it. What to do?!
    = I would not buy it because I'll get the crappy drivers that were returned. I like building for myself. I like something different. I don't need another 2-way stand mount speaker. I do like the high value, giant killer designs. Who doesn't like a underdog? Vifa vs. RAAL, can we please do that?

Steve_Lee6thplanet4thtry
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • 1)On hand, somewhere around 120 drivers. Crossover parts, 200 lbs easily.
    2) including car audio, 40 years serious on home audio, 2008.
    3) owned drivers that I thought were interesting or fit the design criteria.
    4) I used to strive for kits so only used readily available drivers. And have designed a few kits but really it's no longer a main goal. I like to design/build for myself or for an individual goal or person.
    5) at one point I had plans to take a design commercial. Meaning full on builds. Even had an international buyer. However, my partner and I had a rough patch and his friendship meant more to me than making a buck so I let it go.

Steve_Lee6thplanet4thtry
  • edited March 2023

Man, this is almost a bio thread... only thing missing is total count of builds. I bet I'm over 100 for sure there.
    Yeah, I'll likely not build them all, but I can try. Ya know, it's really hard to get rid of a pair of Revelators or something of that calibre.

Steve_Lee
  • I have a pair of revelators as well - NIB never mounted - just cant yet decide what to do with them . . .

• I have 4 currently unused. 18w-4, and a single of each shielded and unshielded 18w-8. The 4 ohm I have plans for in the near future, and I hope the unshielded will take a mag/cup I have and closely match the other. If not, I may see if the shielded one will lost the cup easily or not. I doubt it.

• Like you, I have a pair of 18W/8531G00 sitting here that I had planned on mating with a pair of DA25TX00-08 corundum tweeters - also never mounted or tested.

I thought they would make a nice set of MT crossed to a sub . . .

• edited March 2023

Err… speakerMakers Addiction Club.

Sorry about that @Steve_Lee

Hehe

Steve_Lee
  • edited March 2023

I am really liking all the people who post here and it is quickly becoming my new home page.
    The gun boards and machinist forums I have called home for the past 20+ years have become a cancer to my mind and health with all the end of the world/bickering and politics that have taken-over.

Creativity is what I desire/need and the helpfulness/tutelage offered here is second to none.

It gives me something to reach-for . . .

THANK YOU ALL.

<3

• I forgot I still have a half dozen or so older A/D/S built PPI branded drivers. Four 5-1/4" midwoofers and a pair of tweeters.

I have a signature.
  • Oh boy, guess I'm gonna have to count my drivers when I get home. Pretty sure it's around 40 or less.

Steve_Lee
  • And I have a pair of excellent Radio Shack 81-7921 12" woofers with an Fs of 35 Hz.

So there, big boy!

=)

• @Steve_Lee said:
    I am really liking all the people who post here and it is quickly becoming my new home page.

You really need to make it to InDIYana this year. I know it's far, but you'd love it.

Steve_Lee
  • I’m not playing. I probably have more speaker cabinet in my shop than most people have drivers. I will say eBay has been helping me get rid of some of my drivers.

Steve_Lee
    1. Around 50
    2. Little over 30 years, as some, I started out in the car audio side of things.
    3. I love speakers.
    4. All types, not prejudice. I do have a lot of weird NLA junk. Obviously I build for me.
    5. Wouldn't change a thing.
    4thtrySteve_Lee
  • edited March 2023

@tktran said:
    Err… speakerMakers Addiction Club.

Sorry about that @Steve_Lee

Hehe

We all talk a little SMAC....

Steve_Lee
  • Wow! What a reality check for me. Counted them just now...

1. 78 total
    2. 40+ years
    3. Both, awesome plans for a new (to me) concept project AND I'm a sucker for seamingly great deals
    4. All drivers
    5. Same way - I learned so much cutting my teeth measuring/designing with cheap buyouts. Yes, lots of money wasted on 100+ cheap drivers where as I could have bought a dozen Revelator drivers instead, but I think I know way more because of the way I did it. Zero regrets!!! =)

Love this hobby and all you guys I consider friends.

jr@machifisideSteve_Lee6thplanetjohnny5jz4thtry
  • You can add another 52 drivers counting the completed builds I have floating around.

You guys are great, love this forum.

hifisidePWRRYDSteve_Lee6thplanetjohnny5jz4thtry
    I have a signature.
    1. Much lower than most of you guys at 24
    2. Been doing this for 27 years, but really the most serious in the last 3
    3. I have bought some closeouts and some trades on craigslist.
    4. I will play around with any good deal drivers.
    hifisideSteve_Lee6thplanet4thtry
  • 1) 76 on various shelves + 82 more in various builds.
    2) 40+ years, long time subscriber to Audio Amateur/Speaker Builder/Audioxpress mag's.
    3) I have no idea. Drivers just keep accumulating over a long period of time.
    4) I like drivers that I have heard, and that sound good in other systems.
    5) If I could do it again, I would definitely do it in a different way. Hindsight is 20/20. I learn something new on every build, but I keep making mistakes. Not the same mistakes. Fresh, new mistakes on every build. :)

Steve_LeePWRRYDugly_woofer6thplanet
  • @a4eaudio said:

@Steve_Lee said:

You really need to make it to InDIYana this year. I know it's far, but you'd love it.

Iowa is even closer :)

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.