Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

The Malley - a small powered subwoofer

So I had enough scrap, a freshly tuned tablesaw, a Tang Band ferrite motored 6.5" subwoofer, and old 50W plate amp, and a Dayton 8" PR all begging to be used together so as part of tuning the saw today, I cut up a 0.62 (estimated net) cabinet. Will measure approximately 14 x 14 x 9-1/2 external using all 3/4 panels. This yields a gross internal of 0.67 cubic feet. Amp and driver and PR all eat some up, of course.

I modeled using 50W input power and 80Hz 4th order lowpass. The PR does not have quite enough excursion on its own, but I'm just not going to sweat it none. The model indicated just shy of 100db max output, which is actually quite loud. This will likely be used with a pair of 3" full rangers someone else is building which will definitely not play to 98db. If I model to 94-95db (using 25W) the PR has just enough excursion. This is likely a more realistic peak level, and probably still louder than the 3" will be capable of. The PR will get 80G added mass, probably have to use fender washers I imagine.

The following are all taken with the 50W input power, so remember that with the PR excursion model:

Modeled F3 is ~27Hz (with low pass filter in place, ~30 without).

My glue gelled up on me this winter or I would have gotten it glued up today. I'll stop and grab a bottle on my way home tomorrow. My in-laws are in town for my wifes uncles funeral, so I will be looking for garage time. We have gym on M, W, F, Sun this week so I will likely glue up on Tuesday and cut holes on Thursday. Will not be a finish on these.

Oh, the amp is an old 50W buyout I think from MCM.

Anyways, fun little project going to a special home.

I have a signature.
PWRRYDrjj45kenrhodessquamishdroc4thtryjoeybutts

Comments

• Mixed PB and MDF.

Steve_LeePWRRYDugly_woofer4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • Someones going to get a nice little sub ! B)

• Some router work tomorrow.

hifiside
    I have a signature.

• While I wait for glue to dry and wife and in-laws (staying here for a fucking week, sigh) to get back from the airport.

hifisideSteve_Leejoeybutts
    I have a signature.
  • The name is my dads family name before grandma married an Irishman with an English name, by the way.

I plan on naming a pair Healy someday, after my moms family name.

I have a signature.
  • Your dad's name was Citra Hop?

joeybutts

• Found a set of old PE buyout outriggers to put on this.

6thplanethifisideSteve_Leekenrhodes4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • Too cold yesterday and today. Will finish sawdust stage tomorrow.

I have a signature.
  • .and done.

I forgot how fun building subs is.

4thtryhifisideWolfugly_woofertajanesSteve_Leesquamishdroc6thplanetTurn2joeybutts
    I have a signature.
  • I actually like the particle board and MDF wood-look - just coat with clear water based urethane and done.

jr@mac4thtry
  • Now it is a waiting game for the LR portion to be finished. Should be a pretty sweet little system when it is all said an done.

I have a signature.
  • The outriggers look sweet with it.... But beware. I've been holding onto the same ones for years and finally installed them on a set of towers. The "rubber" feet literally fell apart soon after, from age I guess. Had to use the spikes they came with instead and sit em on pennies.

• @DrewsBrews said:
    The outriggers look sweet with it.... But beware. I've been holding onto the same ones for years and finally installed them on a set of towers. The "rubber" feet literally fell apart soon after, from age I guess. Had to use the spikes they came with instead and sit em on pennies.

These have been in use for quite some time, currently do not seem to have any problems. WIll monitor.

I have a signature.
  • edited April 2023

Ok. Mine spent years in outdoor shed storage in a plastic tub so were subject to the temp swings. That might have something to do with it.

• Upon further examination the feet have definitely hardened over the years - if this thing was a full size subwoofer or installed on a pair of towers I can see where they would fail. Fingers crossed. I'll maybe check thread size and see if there are spikes we can buy that would work with the outrigger. They look too cool not to use. The original spikes are long gone.

I have a signature.
  • If you want SPIKE SPIKES JR, I have a ZILLION of the bottom half of the dayton ones

• Anyone have a source for rubber tipped spikes or full rubber spikes? I really dislike the the sharp metal tip ones. I found these (LINK),but they seem a bit expensive for what they are.

• I ordered a set of these to test:

US $11.97 5%OFF | 8PCS Speaker Stand Feet Spike Damping Isolation Base Loudspeaker Box Audio ABS Plastic Feet Stand Base Pad
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLrcW4U

Cheap, see how they survive.

I have a signature.
  • @joeybutts said:
    If you want SPIKE SPIKES JR, I have a ZILLION of the bottom half of the dayton ones

Which Dayton ones?

I have a signature.
  • How on earth? Any idea on thread size? I'm definitely interested.

I have a signature.
  • I think they are whatever that kit thread rod is, let me look.

• Appears to be M6, but I’ll double check what I actually have.

• @joeybutts said:
    Appears to be M6, but I’ll double check what I actually have.

Sure, I'll grab some - send me a PM with details.

I have a signature.
  • FINGERINSPIRE 30 Pcs Wood Cone Ring Holder Finger Jewelry Display Stand(Burlywood 1x2 Inch) Ring Display Stands Organizer DIY Craft for Retail Jewelry Organizer Holder https://a.co/d/hPtyIN8

These might work, Bill.

I have a signature.