Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

5 inch SB Iowa motivation

edited May 2023 in DIY

As JR is doing "something a little nicer" with a 5-inch SB driver, Craig and I thought we could do the same. Goal is to build a TM with any 5-inch SB driver and any tweeter and bring to Iowa.
Why?

1. For fun and motivation to build something.
  2. Maybe learn something about the different SB drivers and nice tweeters.
  3. Learn about what each person had to deal with in their design.

It is not a competition and there's no voting. We could include other 5 inch drivers but I liked the SB Acoustics idea to do a comparison.

I'm open to other ideas, and pulling the pull on the whole thing as I've got lots of other stuff to build.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
Tagged:
Silver1omo

Comments

• edited May 2023

I will be using the SB15CAC30-08 again because I liked it so much in my Keramiskas. This go around my boxes will be bigger to take advantage of the bass capabilities of the 5" SB and the tweeters will be much better than the RT1.3WE's. Initial thought is to see if I can pull off true LR2 slopes.

• Do these count? I sold all the others.

Ed_PerkinsSteve_Lee
  • only SB?

• Brad, looks like a 5" to me....

• Cool idea! I may participate.

• This should be fun!

• edited May 2023

Satori same as SB Acoustics, so yeah.

Ani the idea started as SB, but no one's stopping you from bringing something else.

The idea is that we get to learn something by the comparison.

• I bought those Satori’s in April of 2016. And I might finally get to use them.

• How many different flavors are out there of these 5" SB's ? Gotta be a half dozen by now ?

joeybutts
  • I used those silver aluminum SBs in a design I brought to Iowa DIY a few years ago. I didn't do them justice, so I may have to try again.

• @Tom_S said:
    I used those silver aluminum SBs in a design I brought to Iowa DIY a few years ago. I didn't do them justice, so I may have to try again.

Lol. I’m sure I won’t do them satori’s justices but I’ll play along.

• You know what? I'm in. I have both old-spec NRXs and some of the carbon fibers (Madisound had them for sale over the holidays).

The CFs are already in a box. I was gonna do active, but that's certainly not set in stone.

• Wow, this is gaining a bit of traction! I really like the idea of no voting and just non-self-serving discussions from the designers about their design choices and "Ah Ha!" moments, good and bad! I mostly learn more from that than just hearing a house track played for the umpteen time. JMHO

• Is anyone going to do a build that's more unusual than a 2 way bookshelf? I just find stuff that's a bit different interesting.

• @ugly_woofer said:
    Is anyone going to do a build that's more unusual than a 2 way bookshelf?

Maybe I'll try something more demanding, like a 2 way stand mount! :p

6thplanetrjj45Steve_Lee
  • @ugly_woofer said:
    Is anyone going to do a build that's more unusual than a 2 way bookshelf? I just find stuff that's a bit different interesting.

How about a dual 5 inch, quad isobaric?

kenrhodesSteve_Lee
  • @ugly_woofer said:
    Is anyone going to do a build that's more unusual than a 2 way bookshelf? I just find stuff that's a bit different interesting.

Mine will be unusual.

Turn2
  • @ugly_woofer said:

Excuse me but isn't that you?
    There's no points for originality because we're not scoring anything.
    I want to do a cardioid design but a 5-inch SB is not the woofer I'm looking for.

Could ask Brad if he would do a single driver full range with the Satori, that would be interesting :

• I would not be your fullrange guy. I think fullrange monitors are like 3n1 soap, they work but not very great at anything.

kenrhodesjr@macjhollanderPWRRYD
  • edited May 2023

@hifiside said:
    I would not be your fullrange guy. I think fullrange monitors are like 3n1 soap, they work but not very great at anything.

Like the old ‘no highs, no lows, it must be…’?

But I find some to be magical over the midrange and upward (albeit a bit limited low and off center), as no crossover and related phase shift thru the critical listening range.

6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • First off I wasn't looking to turn this into a contest, I hate the whole competition thing. I just find unusual designs interesting. When I'm at AXPONA I go into the rooms with unusual designs, regardless of the configuration, two way, three way, full range, floor stander or bookshelf, different is interesting.

• @ugly_woofer said:
    I just find unusual designs interesting. When I'm at AXPONA I go into the rooms with unusual designs, regardless of the configuration, two way, three way, full range, floor stander or bookshelf, different is interesting.

Although John and Craig were motivated by the "doing something a little nicer" theme, I'm likely to use the SB13PFC. Something I thought of after your post was a 2.5 way similar to the Nola Brio with one driver open baffle and one in a box reaching lower. I may try it. Not all that unusual but also not an MT in a box.

Turn2
  • edited May 2023

I like my coffee not too hot and my beer not too cold. Guess I'm just not unusual enough :'(

rjj45
  • @a4eaudio said:
    Something I thought of after your post was a 2.5 way similar to the Nola Brio with one driver open baffle and one in a box reaching lower. I may try it. Not all that unusual but also not an MT in a box.

My RSR build actually started life like that, never heard of the Nola Brio.

hifisidetajanesSteve_Leejoeybutts
  • @a4eaudio said:
    Something I thought of after your post was a 2.5 way similar to the Nola Brio with one driver open baffle and one in a box reaching lower. I may try it. Not all that unusual but also not an MT in a box.

Isn't the Nola Brio kind of a mini version of a FaST idea? I thought there is still a crossover so it is technically a 2-way. One of the few occasions where a 1st order XO might actually work. Crap, now I want to try it..

• I'll post some links later. The commercial version is a 1.5 way with a subwoofer. Dual Peerless TC9s, one open back, one in a vented box, with a single capacitor. There are several posts (a huge one at Diyaudio and several clone builds at PETT) about it. I did a modification to incorporate a woofer that I brought to Grand Rapids in 2021(?) but haven't posted a write-up yet.

• I have 8 of the Hi-Vi B3S drivers laying around. I might have to throw something together to replicate the Nola Brio.

• How did this go to that?

• They lost me.🤷🏻‍♂️

• @PWRRYD said:
    How did this go to that?

LOL, isn't that how all threads go? I mentioned I might do something like the Nola Brios with SB 5" drivers in response to Nick's comment of doing something different from the standard 2-way TMs.

If I post some links for those not familiar with the Nolas, it will be in a new thread.