Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

JBL rebuild

I have been contracted to repair a set of 4 JBL 15" 2way pa speakers. All 4 have blown tweeters with one cabinet actually catching on fire! The CD was still loaded with powder media from the extinguisher. 

There system is quite a mix of components, but is workable. They are using a gemeni dj mixer, a PR of Crown 36x12 amps (not used properly), Crown xls2000 feeding a lone CV 18 FLH, and a Berhinger 2way crossover (not used at all). 

I brought the firewood cabinet back to my shop to evaluate. Oh my! I was told this cabinet had been repaired previously by somone and was led to believe they used JBL components. Well so much for that! They are not happy to say the least. Guess I will be fixing somone elses work. Yeah for me, not for them! 2 cabinets were "repaired" ugh!
greywardenkennykjhollanderWolfThumperTomBryan@MAC4thtry

Comments

• Holy smokes....literally! Nice hack job by the previous person. Are those genuine JBL boxes? I see plywood, so the aren't the crappy JRX series.
  • They are JBL boxes. And pretty well built too. Crossbraced, glued, removable front baffle. The crossovers use speakon or 1/4" jacks. 

I will be biamping the new set up and making everything plug and play in the rack.
  • It also sounds like they need limiting on the system too. I have a pair of old Behringer Composers that I'd give you for the cost to ship, but they are too easy to bypass by anyone who can read. Maybe you can get them to spring for a DSP unit with a security code lock. 
  • Thank you for the offer Tom. That is part of the plan. Also putting the amps/processing into a locked cabinet is in the works.
  • No problem - if you need them, just drop me a line and they're yours. They really aren't worth much. I should probably fire them up to see if they still work. It's been years since I've used them.
  • Limiters are for p*****s. Real men clip the shit out of everything and hope the audience drunk enough to not notice :-p

Seriosly though, we were at a show Friday night and as is my wont, I wandered over to the the board to see why everything sounded like total ass. 16 active inputs, 16 clip indicators going off. The soundguy was very resentful of my suggestion that he learn the basics of level setting, however, and countered my offer with an offer that proves to be physiologically impossible.
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    Limiters are for p*****s. Real men clip the shit out of everything and hope the audience drunk enough to not notice :-p

Seriosly though, we were at a show Friday night and as is my wont, I wandered over to the the board to see why everything sounded like total ass. 16 active inputs, 16 clip indicators going off. The soundguy was very resentful of my suggestion that he learn the basics of level setting, however, and countered my offer with an offer that proves to be physiologically impossible.
    It is amazing how far off some sound guys are.  They just don't get the simple input gain principle.  I also hear/see some wacko compression and gating settings.

• Pretty sad state of affairs - and why I rarely go out to see live bands any more. Even decent national acts playing bigger venues seem to suffer from idiots behind the console who seem to think higher SPLs solve everything.
  • No doubt. I have found one sound guy based out of Nashville that really cared about the SQ and allowed me to help him out to get things right. 

We had some time and I brought my Armonicos over to the green room for him and the band to hear. It was a lot of fun and the look on their faces of what a simple DIY build could do was priceless.
    jhollander
  • Right.

Informed customer: “vocals are a little hot”. 

Typical soundguy: cranks every other slider up. 

Informed customer: “vocals are buried”.

Typical soundguy: cranks vocals up. 

Informed customer: “Goodbye, tool. Enjoy your early onset hearing loss”. 
    isaeagle4031
    I have a signature.
  • Things have gotten a little easier since in-ear monitors and digital sound boards.
    isaeagle4031