Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Dayton TCP115-4 woofers

I received my quad of TCP115-4 woofers yesterday.  I broke them in for an hour, let them sit while we had  dinner, then measured them with my WT3.  These drivers look like they use a very similar stamp steel frame and magnet as the Designer Series, with a different cone, dust cap, and surround.  The good news, 2 of the woofers measured nearly identical to each other and very close to the factory specs.  The bad news is the other two measured very differently.  One of the bad ones has what looks like large areas of glue soaked into the spider.  It has an Fs of 69.29 Hz vs. the factory spec of 53.8. Qts and Vas are both about 30% off. 

I called PE and they are sending me 2 more for free.  I hope the new ones measure like the two good ones. 

Comments

• Its an interesting budget woofer for sure. Interested to give these a listen. 
  • edited March 2018
    I might have something together by Indy if you want an after hours listen.
    D1PP1N4thtry
  • I got my 4 yesterday. Took some measurements with Dats - I did not break them in though - just flexed the cones a few times.
    D1PP1N4thtryJasonP
  • Looks like all 4 of yours are good!
  • PWRRYD said:
    I might have something together by Indy if you want an after hours listen.
    I'd love to hear something with these drivers at Indy if you can get something together by then. I occasionally lament the lack of new poly cone woofers.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Pretty sure they are treated paper, have to look at mine again to be sure. They are really cheaply built. 
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    Pretty sure they are treated paper, have to look at mine again to be sure. They are really cheaply built. 
    The plot thickens, dayton audio site calls them poly cone and PE site treated paper. This must be the result of the fake news culture we live in today... *brain assplodes*
    D1PP1Njr@macPWRRYDS7910
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • If you look at the back side of the cone it appears to be a woven paper type material.
  • I concur JR, very cheaply made drivers.  Look at that crappy glue line between the magnet and basket on the pic above.
  • PE sent me two more drivers, no charge.  After some serious flogging (break in), I now have 4 drivers that measure pretty close to each other and will work well enough for this cheap azz project.  Enclosures panels are cut and glued up now.
  • edited March 2018
    20180330_183004.jpg

Well that didn't work.
  • PWRRYD said:
    20180330_183004.jpg

Well that didn't work.
    The picture didn't work or the speaker didn't work?
  • Tried to copy/paste picture on my Android...  fail!
  • After testing eight different stains and finishes on these poplar baffles I ended up liking the straight clear lacquer best.  The grain pops enough and the natural color is just about right.  All of the stain colors I tested just didn't look right to me.  Anyway, a couple more coats of lacquer and the baffles will be done.
  • I really liked the way red Mahogany looked with Poplar.  Guess we got different tastes. B)         
  • I didn't try red mahogany.  I'll try it on my next poplar project.
  • PWRRYD said:

What airspace/tuning did you go with? 
  • Net volume is 5.0L tuned to 56 Hz.  That accounts for the volume displaced by the port, the woofer magnets and assumes a series resistance of 0.35 ohms from the woofer LP inductor.  I used the average from my drivers' measured T/S parameters.
  • Whoohoo!  I have the house to myself tonight (pretty rare).  I plan on taking all my on-axis, in-box measurements for this project tonight.  I'm very curious to see the distortion performance of these cheap azz woofers.    
  • I was able to take all my on axis measurements.  If anyone wants the actual .frd and .zma files PM me and I can email them to you.
  • So what did the distortion look like?
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Meh...

Woofer's A+B in series

Woofers C+D in series

• Higher than I would have thought for two
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Yeah I agree.  But they'll make nice low listening level work bench speakers  B)
  • PWRRYD said:
    I was able to take all my on axis measurements.  If anyone wants the actual .frd and .zma files PM me and I can email them to you.
    I would be interested in seeing how your drivers measured compared to mine on baffle.
  • PM me your email.
  • I'm piecing together a pretty simple crossover for these MTM's. Should have prototypes done in a day or so.  Because of the less than stellar distortion performance of these woofers these speakers won't be a high volume or critical listening pair of speakers.  That said, they should still easily kick the shit out of speakers like the Nano Neos LOL
    jr@macD1PP1Ngreywarden
  • Are the Nano Neos really the bar to be broken though? Or is it the Overnight Sensations?
    S7910PWRRYD