Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

10"2way

Posted a couple teaser pics on pett and fb. Thought id give you gents a bit more info on this. 

My friend Mike who was vice president of SP Technology and the one who designed their waveguide milling machine, has built a new and improved version. The guide here is 10" in diameter and about 2" deep. This gave me a nice boost to about 800hz or so. Of course this means using a tweeter with the cajones and fs that can handle crossing low. So I went thru quite a few, mostly looking at the specs, purchasing a few. For this first attempt, I did not want to spend a whole lot of money either. 

So I gave the Tymphany dx25bg60 4ohm version a try. With its concave faceplate, it was a bit of a challenge to mount. We have that pretty well dialed in. Not long ago we acquired a very nice selection of Corian cutoffs and are using that for various fixtures and jigs. 

The woofer is a Dayton dsa270 in a mltl. Though I have not placed the batting or even added the port yet. The enclosure is just a big sealed unit in this test. Bass is still very strong to about 50hz or so. The final will have an fb of about 35 and f3 of 36 or there about. I'm pretty sure the lack of the port and fill is why I have the distortion spike at 500.

The sweeps here were taken at 100db @1m, on the tweeter axis I've adjusted the cross over a bit more and flattened out the dip at 1k as well.  
ani_101JasonP

Comments

• Never mind my PM on TT about this speaker...The tweeter seems well controlled below 2K, where did you cross at?
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Beast mode tweeter. Personally, I am not sure the demise of the OG RS28 is that big of a deal with monsters like these floating around for $35
    I have a signature.
  • Sweet dude! Looks quite good. I'm just buttoning up the cabinet on a 10" 2 way build as well. We might need to get together and have a listen here once it's done! I'm doing it to try and challenge myself I know it may or may not work out but I want to try and worst case it'll be a bottom of a 3way or something.
  • Finished! Save a bit of touch up and finishing the actual stands. Crossover came out to 1k and 12 parts. 

Oh and I call them Veritas :)
    jhollanderJasonP
  • I'm looking forward to hearing those in a few weeks.  I hope they are as good as the Veritas hand planes...
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Sweet, looking good chuck.
  • Looks very nice. Is that response from your first post the final response? I would suggest that the tweeter looks a couple dB too hot there.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Those damn wide baffles still catch my eye Chuck 
  • Sorry , not to take away from the thread
  • They look real nice, like big pro monitors. What are your impressions of their sound characteristics? I still have my rs270p/rs28a/seos parts waiting for me to get around to them.
  • dynamo said:
    They look real nice, like big pro monitors. What are your impressions of their sound characteristics? I still have my rs270p/rs28a/seos parts waiting for me to get around to them.
    Currently working on that build dynamo. Need to measure and design now. Should have went woth a 3 inch port instead of 2 but oh well it just may fart out after 102-104 db instead of 108-110. 
  • dcibel said:
    Looks very nice. Is that response from your first post the final response? I would suggest that the tweeter looks a couple dB too hot there.
    Actually no. I went back and altered the waveguide profile a bit. It was creating that "shelf" in the top octave. It was not necessarily offensive or even noticeable; I just didn't like it.

We will be voicing them over the next few days. I will be getting the in room measurements and possibly a few outdoor ground plane measurements soon
  • edited April 2018
    It wasn't the shelf in the top octave I was referring to, but the response from 1.5K-10kHz. In my experience with the couple PA builds I did (1 ewave style and 1 SEOS style), bringing the response down about 2-3dB here will sound best, down to 97-98dB on your chart from the current 100dB.
  • I agree. With the change in the profile also necessitated a change in the crossover as well. So the initial sweep is fairly different now. 
    dcibel
  • Hope these are coming to InDIY, I'd love to hear them. I appreciate your photos above putting the widebodies in the shot. It makes it real easy to tell just how large they are, because at first I was wondering!
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • A few measurements. 

Jason, the cabinets measure in at 22.5H 12.5W 19.5D. On the stands, they are about 43H. The MLTL has an fb of 30 and f3 of about 36. Still playing with the fill. 
  • Not too shabby at all!

This may be something you already are aware of, but on the polar plot, if you really want to just show the directivity, all that needs to be done is to normalize the response plots to the on-axis response. This will remove the natural frequency response of the speaker from the equation, so the plot shows only the change in response as you move off-axis.

You don't need to remeasure anything, just load up the measurements in Omnimic, then select "normalize" and pick your on-axis measurement file. It will ask you what frequency to reference, which is basically setting what frequency becomes 0dB, for a full-range complete speaker this can be left at the default of 1kHz.

You will end up with a plot that looks like this, with no variation in colour at 0 deg, everything else is relative to that point:

• I did not know that. Thank you!
  • edited April 2018
    No prob, it can make a big different in how you interpret the data. The following are the same set of measurements, one is the raw frequency response, and one is normalized to show only the directivity.