Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Discontinued commercial speaker fun... DCM TP160S

2»

Comments

• I'm sure others can chime in on kits, Jeff Bagby has quite a cult following - so lots of builds of his out there. I don't really pay much attention to kits, though.
    I have a signature.
  • edited November 2019
    Jr is being modest, any of his designs are typically budget friendly.  You might browse the pics here  https://midwestaudio.club/   for ideas
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Since they "sound amazing" why would you want to buy another set of speakers? 
  • Jr is being modest, any of his designs are typically budget friendly.  You might browse the pics here  https://midwestaudio.club/   for ideas
    The only reason I bring this up is because I have these and the cabinets are terrible. As I said earlier, they need to be braced and dampened. Also, the drivers are slightly recessed and have those square edges which I'm pretty sure restricts the soundstage. (As I have another set of speaker that don't have front baffles like these.)
  • Yeah, diffraction is an issue on these. 
    I have a signature.
  • Fit is perfect. The tweeters sound basically like the originals. Of course they will need time to open up. The new ones are 30 watts and are a bit louder while the original were 15 watts. I'm happy thus far. Thanks JR!!! 

Left

Right

• The originals. 
  • Your project is interesting, and really well documented.  It shows what can be done for little money.  Kudos.  One suggestion that would improve the whole article:  ditch the foul language.  It detracts from your work.
    kenrhodes
  • I think it could use a bit more fucking foul language.
    ThumperTom
  • Johnny, educate me. In referring to the free air measurement, you comment about the "big ugly" impedance bump at 700, but I only see a minor wobble. What's so bad there, or have I missed something?

• An ohm or two ripple can indicate several db of linear distortion, such as a break-up or dip in the response. 700Hz is right in the passband of the woofer, so it is more concerning than a similar ripple at, say, 4.5K or so. 

In this case, I think it is likely a dip in the response - I saw nothing too obvious on the in-box FR or distortion measurements. Actually, other than the useless (in this box) TS parameters, this is a very nice driver and would make a completely acceptable large format midrange. 

So, disregard my concerns for the 700Hz impedance blip - it is likely not a significant energy storage issue.
    I have a signature.
  • I bought a Pair of the TFE100 towers for my son as a Christmas gift, They came today so unboxed them to check the condition and hooked them up to make sure they work and they sound ok for the 250 or so I paid but at the original sticker price of 799.99 I would have been furious but then again I'm a cheapskate and bought my speakers used lol.

I'm gonna listen to them a bit more before I give them to him and see if the sound improves a bit, They are not awful but something seems off about them to me, The old lady thinks he'll love em...
  • Here is the Aliexpress woofer in-box:

Couple notes, the breakup is high enough in frequency that it can be tanked fairly easily. I did not nearfield any measurements (maybe next time), but taking the baffle signature out of the equation should yield a pretty flat response. 

Here is the distortion measurement:

Measures fairly clean, im generally impressed. The low end in particular is very clean. It sounds like it, too. 

If I get some time this coming weekend, I will start some more serious measurement work and start a design. 
    I have a signature.