Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Meet the “Novice”

2»

Comments

• I suppose shirt and shoes would be nice, but I didn't see any sign that you wont be allowed to play your speakers otherwise. OTOH naked mdf is perfectly acceptable as well as XOs with their guts spilled out all over the floor...
    BrannigansLawSilver1omo
  • ani_101 said:
    I suppose shirt and shoes would be nice, but I didn't see any sign that you wont be allowed to play your speakers otherwise. OTOH naked mdf is perfectly acceptable as well as XOs with their guts spilled out all over the floor...
    My mdf was naked this year - crossovers fully exposed, but I arrived in proper attire!
  • Well, there's golf and there's horseshoes.  Horseshoes is usually friends and family having fun while golf can sometimes be quite stressful.  Is the atmosphere at these meets more like golf, or horseshoes? 
  • I'd say more like horseshoes.
  • edited October 2019
    It's a lot like this forum - it's a pretty humble bunch where everyone supports & encourages their fellow DIYers. Self righteous jerks seem to stay away. It's great to see people progress and the differences in SQ at these events narrows a bit every year. 
  • Sorry no horses allowed... Whether they are wearing shoes or not... They don't agree much, always neighing everything
    hifiside4thtry
  • edited October 2019
    Kornbread said:
    Guys, how formal are these meets? 
    Quite informal I would say, especially on Friday where it’s more of a meet & greet and we just randomly rotate speakers.  

The only formalities are in following the exhibit rules for the actual event - in Iowa’s case on Saturday. 

Each DIY show is a little different so it’s best to be specific when asking and know what the “rules” are ahead of time. 

But long story short, these are not snooty stuck up stressful formal shows at all. 
    ani_101
    My signature goes here
  • edited October 2019
    4thtry said:

Hope you don't mind me posting a few shots of your speakers as well.  It's funny, Bryan & I both snapped the same "speech" photo, but from a different camera angle!  Amazing! (see the first pic on our posts). 

————————-

Haha. That’s great Bill. I think my backside is also reflecting off of that mirror finish in another picture  - my old Iowa shirt!!  Looking forward to your other pics. 

hifiside4thtry
    My signature goes here
  • Tom_S said:
    It's a lot like this forum - it's a pretty humble bunch where everyone supports & encourages their fellow DIYers. Self righteous jerks seem to stay away.
    I miss one event and now labeled forever...
    6thplanetPWRRYDBryan@MACRon_Ehifiside4thtry
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited October 2019
     PWRRYD said:
    And now for something completely different (Monty Python steal)...  I didn't realize how white my hair looks LOL

Craig,

This is a photographic exposure problem more than anything else.  Your hair does not look this white.  With flash photography, I am constantly dealing with the inverse square law.  Objects closer to the flash tend to get overexposed or bleached whiter than they should be.  Objects further away go darker or are underexposed.  Because you were in the foreground, the flash bleached your hair white. 

I try to correct this problem in Lightroom (or photoshop) by selected the overexposed areas and then reducing the overexposed area to compensate.   Here are the same photos with the correction made.  (Sorry for the overly technical response to your Monty Python steal!)    :3

jhollander
  • I feel badly that Craig got over-exposed.  Perhaps next year we could chip in and buy him a fish dinner.   :o
    Bryan@MAC4thtry
  • I won't go to that fish joint again!!!  I should have gone to KFC with Nick and Ashley.  That fish was nasty (and I am a sea food lover).
  • Yeah, it will be KFC for me next year, too. 
    I have a signature.
  • Mrs JR and I headed west out of town - there are a ton of places to eat within a couple miles of the hotel. 
    I have a signature.
  • Our disappointment was missing Fong's pizza this year.  I got close to guessing the mystery beer last year.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • PWRRYD said:
    I won't go to that fish joint again!!!  I should have gone to KFC with Nick and Ashley.  That fish was nasty (and I am a sea food lover).
    I’m pretty tolerant of so so food, especially when I’m out of town but Craig is right. That seafood place was not remotely good. Even their special of the night wasn’t good. The Outback was much better..... well for a chain anyway. It’s hard for me to find a good steak when you’re used to Chicago steak houses. 

Looks like we are driving next time. 
    PWRRYD
    My signature goes here
  • edited November 2019
    jr@mac said:
    Mrs JR and I headed west out of town - there are a ton of places to eat within a couple miles of the hotel. 
    The District? Jethro's, District 36, Taco Hangover, Fong's, etc...? A much better bet than staying within walking distance.

• edited November 2019
    Turn2 said:
    The District? Jethro's, District 36, Taco Hangover, Fong's, etc...? A much better bet than staying within walking distance.
    Now you tell us  :#
    jr@mac
  • Now that place looks good and just 2 miles up I35 from the hotel.
  • PWRRYD said:
    Now that place looks good and just 2 miles up I35 from the hotel.
    It's just off the next exit north.  That exit has been under construction but should be open by next fall.

They have margaritas.  ;)

Ron
  • PWRRYD said:
    Turn2 said:
    Now you tell us  :#
    Yeah, my bad. I need to get more involved with this event if y'all decide to come back again.