Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

InDIYana 2020 theme build - The Portals

Comments

• ani_101 said:
    Hi Dan

A question about how you printed the baffles for the dayton drivers. They are curved, but i don't see any traces of supports. Trying to print curved prices (or if they are standing on edge, the huge hole in the middle is always an issue. and how you printed the screw holes connecting each piece?
    These are laser sintered, which is a self-supporting process.  Even with a home printer though, you should be able to print them laying "flat" with some supports under the curved edges and just make the screw holes small enough to self-support, then drill them out afterwards.  I can send data to anyone who wants to try.  These are made specifically for the TCP115, but it wouldn't be too hard to scale up or down a little to accommodate other drivers.
  • This is going to have one interesting on and off axis frequency pattern.  Very cool project !

• Trichotomies, where the cabs were triangular, with a port through the edge. It used the HiVi D5G and the BG Neo3PDR. I really did not know if I could pull that off.

NEHD- a weird driver complement that looks like it's extraterrestrial. The woofer was a huge unknown.

The Zingers- the driver complement 'should not have worked', in pretty much everyone's opinion. 

MAX- an 8" 2-way I had to hammer into place, and the straked ports were a guess all around. It took 10 tries to achieve the sound preferred, and even then they are still hot-trebled in some rooms.

I'm currently working on the Tandems (off and on), and it's a very difficult build. A hinging Isobaric woofer alignment module into the rest of the cab, and laminated enclosure. These are really testing my skill level, hiccup after hiccup. Then the series xover....

The Cecropias cabinets I was not sure I could build, due to the shape. The xover was really complex due to the switching coil circuits, and was tough to assemble- just to see if it was audible. It was possible I wouldn't hear anything at all, but I did. Try clamping a cabinet with non-parallel sides like these- you can't! Strap-clamps would have separated the joints. I ended up using some gravity clamping to get the job done.

More recently I've taken fewer risks in cabinet construction like the Fenrir and Zingers, because they are not the difficult build on the burner, but I always seem to try things others wouldn't. Tom Zarbo says my stuff looks like it's mine. I feel that's a fitting description. I don't build projects simply more often than not, and challenge myself to see if I can do something. So far- I've impressed myself on what I can do if I set my mind to it.

As to Dan- Connexentric (I think that's right), Portals, Hurricanes, Boxers- all of these are risky by the same degree.
    ...and you are welcome, my friend!

Sorry for the hijack humoring Craig.
  • BTW- how would you add a tweeter to that kind of an array, Dan?
  • It's got a be in the middle suspended by piano wire, right?
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I think a floating tweeter like the iris of an eye might make it behave like an open baffle coaxial.
    Like the Tower of Sauron.
    DanP
  • It's got a be in the middle suspended by piano wire, right?
    I didn't like this look in my head because I didn't want anything to split the opening.  I'm going to use a geometry that holds a flangeless tweeter in the center and goes straight back and swoops down to mount to the back of the cab.
    kenrhodesjhollander
  • Cool build Dan!
  • Awesome.  What's the diameter?  You will probably get some pattern control like a horn.  Did you models this?
  • Wolf said:

Sorry for the hijack humoring Craig.

I just wanted to provide you a platform to publicly pat yourself on the back - lol
    6thplanet
  • DanP said:
    It's got a be in the middle suspended by piano wire, right?
    I didn't like this look in my head because I didn't want anything to split the opening.  I'm going to use a geometry that holds a flangeless tweeter in the center and goes straight back and swoops down to mount to the back of the cab.
    why did my mind instantly think of a scorpion tail poised to strike?
  • Awesome.  What's the diameter?  You will probably get some pattern control like a horn.  Did you models this?
    The opening is 11.5".  I haven't modeled it yet, but Ben Cooper just said he would do so for me.  He's got access to some cool stuff at his job. There's too many variables for me to predict what's going to happen intuitively, but I'm anxious to see what the models and measurements show.
  • 6thplanet said:
    DanP said:
    It's got a be in the middle suspended by piano wire, right?
    why did my mind instantly think of a scorpion tail poised to strike?
    That's pretty much the shape I'm going for.
  • Just a 2 way or will there be an on-axis mid between the woofer array and the tweeter?
  • These are truly cool an interesting!  What about a piece of 1/4" stainless rod shaped into a sort of shepard's hook to hold the tweeter?  Just a thought.
  • PWRRYD said:
    Just a 2 way or will there be an on-axis mid between the woofer array and the tweeter?
    Just a 2-way.  The tweeter will be in the center of the opening, but I don't want anything else in the way.
  • These are truly cool an interesting!  What about a piece of 1/4" stainless rod shaped into a sort of shepard's hook to hold the tweeter?  Just a thought.
    I don't have this part 100% figured out yet, but I've got a wish list and a back-up plan.
  • Wolf said:
    I'm glad Dan is still one of the 'oddball' builders (a compliment!). He's one of the guys that takes risks to try something different, whether it will work or not. I find Bill is also getting to be in that category. I've taken my share of risks on builds as well. And of course, dlneubec is likely the master of that kind of project plan. When the results are sketchy at best from the conception, and it's not a 'safe' exercise, things can be conceived and completed through lots of sweat equity, trial, and error.

Glad to see my name added to the "oddball" club.   Quite the distinction.    I think Nick should be added as well.  Artistic curves always sound and look better.   I like how Dan always seems to have a very good acoustical engineering rational behind his designs as well.  Form follows function (or is it function following form)?    Bill
    DanP
  • Nick is likely the VP of the group...
    DanP4thtry
  • Hi Wolf,

Did you get my email about attending InDIYana this year?

Jim
  • I haven't checked the event site e-mail this weekend yet- but if you sent it there, I'll add you...
  • ODDBALL!!!???  What the hell? Wait........ on second thought, that's accurate. 
    DanPWolf4thtry
  • On a more serious note, have you taken any measurements yet Dan?
  • On a more serious note, have you taken any measurements yet Dan?
    Not yet.  I just got all the damping material in the cabs and will be finishing glue up this weekend.  Haven't made much progress since my last post.
  • Got the cabs painted, woofers installed and took some preliminary measurements of the woofers only.  Measurements were taken indoors, on axis at 1m from the front of the baffle.  I think with this setup, I really need to take measurements outdoors at 2m+ to get a better representation of the summing that occurs, but there are definitely some trends here.  It doesn't sound as ragged as it looks, but the large peak around 400Hz is audibly imbalanced.  I'll play around removing this with a parallel LCR circuit before rolling off, probably with a single inductor around 2kHz.
    joeybuttssquamishdrockenrhodes6thplanetjhollanderSilver1omoGowa4thtrySteve_Lee
  • I like the "black hole" effect. Looks like someone fired off a Howitzer round through it.🤘🏼
    DanP
  • Like a horn, I'd take a near field right at the plane of the opening to see what you have before the baffle and the room.
  • Like a horn, I'd take a near field right at the plane of the opening to see what you have before the baffle and the room.
    I'll give that a shot tonight.
  • Ok, I'm stupid.  Explain how this Holy speaker is supposed to work.     
  •     I don't think he has any data just an idea. I for one love it. Once again Dan has found a unique way to use a lot of drivers.
       Maybee this will become known as a port array. 😀
    DanP