Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Small high end 2-way

Comments

• Dang, 7 parts and a small inductor to boot = cheap crossover to build.       
    joeybutts
  • Is this going to sit on a table or a desk? If so, you might not need much BSC. I had Madisound design a crossover for the first first (decent) speakers I built many moons ago. I didn't know enough back then to ask them to include any BSC. They sounded a little thin as a stand mounted design, but they sound much better on my desk, raised up on little risers.
  • Ha ha, I was redundant many many times in that last post!
    joeybutts
  • Tom_S said:
    Is this going to sit on a table or a desk? If so, you might not need much BSC. I had Madisound design a crossover for the first first (decent) speakers I built many moons ago. I didn't know enough back then to ask them to include any BSC. They sounded a little thin as a stand mounted design, but they sound much better on my desk, raised up on little risers.
    It's going to be portable and I plan on selling it.  I'm just learning so will trust your guy's judgment and will play around with whatever is necessary.

Thanks!
  • Ok....
    1.  How do I know the attenuation necessary?
    2.  Where in PCD am I adding this in?
    3.  Is it necessary for this?

Thanks!!
  • joeybutts said:
    jr@mac said:
    That's a good sim, as far as that goes. But... It doesn't look like baffle effects are accounted for. 
    Well shit..... what do I do for that?  I didn't see anything about doing that....
    If you press the button in PCD for "raw driver response", you can see what the woofer series inductor is doing. You will typically want about a 3dB difference  - but that depends on the placement of the speaker and your preference.
    I often will "knock out" a quick sim in PCD to get me in the ballpark, but my process ongoing is to then measure the drivers in the intended box at about 26 inches or so, and import that into Xsim for tweaking.
    But there are many different process variations in our community.

joeybutts
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Awesome!  Thanks Don!  I think I'll fiddle a bit and then make the xover.  I'm not crazy concerned but want to learn and make sure it's pleasant sounding.  If these were bookshelves/towers I would definitely be more picky.
  • Build in a hump from about 800 and below rising about 6db in the response... That's for about a 8-9 inch baffle. Smaller baffle in width, you need to start higher.

Using a baffle step simulator like the edge or Jeff's boundary simulator will help you understand what's it doing...

6db is full Bsc, while for a desktop speaker or something closer to the walls 3-4 db is good enough
    joeybutts
  • So you say I should do 6db, ani?  Appreciate it. 
  • 6db is full bsc, speaker out in the middle of the room (4-6 feet from the back/side walls), tweeter at ear level - this is what the usual floor standers made for DIY event auditions go for - I don't have that kind of space, so i aim for about 4db. On the desk, might be tad lower say around 3db or use the EQ to compensate for bass (lower it for on Desk application or where it sounds good and not overpowering).
    joeybutts
  • What about in a field, at the beach, etc?
  • edited March 2020
    full BSC, but doesn't matter, as there will be no bass either way.... Outdoors is a different matter altogether, you need some sort of a room for bass enforcement

But let me also clarify by saying my experience of speakers outdoors have been underwhelming and i have not done or explored outdoor speakers much....
  • Hey Joey, if you're leaning towards the LD22, we still have some of the plastic faceplate versions on clearance on our website for $45.  If you end up ordering them, and you want them disassembled, shoot us an email at info@css-audio.com and we'll make sure the faceplates are separate. 
    dcibelSilver1omokenrhodesjoeybuttsPWRRYDThumperTom
  • That's some insider awesomeness right there!
  • DanP said:
    Hey Joey, if you're leaning towards the LD22, we still have some of the plastic faceplate versions on clearance on our website for $45.  If you end up ordering them, and you want them disassembled, shoot us an email at info@css-audio.com and we'll make sure the faceplates are separate. 
    Awesome!  Dan, lmk how to proceed, when I go to the website it shows them sold out.  Thanks!
  • ani_101 said:
    full BSC, but doesn't matter, as there will be no bass either way.... Outdoors is a different matter altogether, you need some sort of a room for bass enforcement

But let me also clarify by saying my experience of speakers outdoors have been underwhelming and i have not done or explored outdoor speakers much....
    Well, my helium based BT doesnt do too bad of a job and I'm guessing that has full bsc..... guess maybe go with it...
  • joeybutts said:
    DanP said:
    Hey Joey, if you're leaning towards the LD22, we still have some of the plastic faceplate versions on clearance on our website for $45.  If you end up ordering them, and you want them disassembled, shoot us an email at info@css-audio.com and we'll make sure the faceplates are separate. 
    Awesome!  Dan, lmk how to proceed, when I go to the website it shows them sold out.  Thanks!
    I pulled some strings and there's a couple more in stock now 😉.
    brek81ani_101joeybuttsPWRRYD6thplanet
  • Any chance there is one more without a home?
    joeybutts
  • brek81 said:
    Any chance there is one more without a home?
    One more tweeter or one more pair?  
  • edited March 2020
    One more tweeter.... would finish a 5 speaker goal with css ld22 tweeters

(Well, with 2 more paper riavels)

• Looks like one more just popped up.  Just one of the many perks of being on the MAC/DIY board after midnight 😁.
    rjj45joeybuttsani_101PWRRYD
  • Weird, it seems to be shipping with a 10" sub :P

Seriously take care of your crew first.  Appreciate you being a part of the community 
    DanPkenrhodesjoeybuttsani_101
  • Will be ordering tomorrow!!!  You are the man Dan!  Thank you so much!
  • Ordered😏😏😏
    ani_101
  • So confused about BSC in PCD.... why is my summed response going down for the woofer?  Shouldn't it be going up?
  • joeybutts said:
    So confused about BSC in PCD.... why is my summed response going down for the woofer?  Shouldn't it be going up?
    BSC takes away from the raw driver SPL. So 3dB of BSC makes an 87dB driver into 84dB. Not sure about your summed response question. Can you post the graph pics?
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited March 2020
    Deleted**
  • Dammit, disregard that last..... Here are the calculated values for 6db BSC.....

• You don't need a separate BSC filter.  Take it out completely and just play with the lowpass inductor until you drop the highs sufficiently to be in line with the 200Hz-ish mark.  Then play with your shunt cap to get the knee you want.  A single inductor and cap on a woofer is very versatile and usually sufficient for BSC and desired rolloff.  
    rjj45
  • Thanks Dan, I've been fiddling.... I can't get that top end down, if I should.....