Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Another project started

Comments

• Can you just start the sweep at 500hz?

• With a true ribbon it's crucial to use a capacitor, they're transformer coupled so represent a dead short to your amp at low frequency.

jr@mac
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I really wouldn't worry about tails etc, you will spend a lot of time tweaking regardless.

rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • 20mfd cap in series will do it.

• I've set my HP on the crown amp I use + a 100uF and didn't really get much difference than just the standard 20uF test cap.

• So I'll use a 20 uF cap. "Bass removed" track good enough or should I use the "bass and midrange removed" track?

• I test on a full range signal with the 20mfd cap. If you remove the bass from the test signal, it's probably fine but leave the midrange in.

• Great! Thanks Roman. I was kinda thinking bass and mid removed would be too much since that rolls off at 3kHz. I am hoping to cross somewhere near 3kHz.

R-Carpenter
  • OK, I will start another thread once I get some measurements and start rolling on this new project.

To follow up on the original thread project (attn: Geoff Miller) I love the original sealed crossover design I sent you with the ported version. So if you are going to build new enclosures I highly recommend the ported version. No subwoofer required, for music. I will post my rear ported enclosure design if anyone is interested. My focus now is on this higher end SB15CAC/Viawave project and another cost effective Peerless project:
    830870/DX20BF00 in 10"H x 6"W boxes.

Silver1omoGeoffMillarrjj45
  • Sweet, two Viawave projects going on now! 2021 might be a fun time on the DIY shows!

I have a signature.
  • Thanks Craig: still waiting for the inductors...

Peerless drivers are excellent value here, and due to the decline of the $A against the $US, have become cheaper than Dayton for the same performance; e.g. the DC160 here is $60, the Peerless 830656/7 are $35.

SB are good value also, for the same reason.

Geoff

• He Geoff, where you get the drivers and XO parts in Australia? Asking for a "friend"....

• Speakerbug in Brisbane for XO parts - excellent range and service - and LSK/Wagner Electronics for drivers (Dayton, Vifa, SB and Peerless) and XO parts.

That's about it for DIY suppliers here. It's usually not economical to source parts from overseas due to high postage costs.

Geoff

• I just think it's really cool that someone almost half way around the world from me and I can buy most of the same parts and share info, ideas, and opinions. Not THAT long ago there was no internet and you could only go to monthly club meetings to exchange ideas.

jr@macGeoffMillarani_101rjj45
  • Yes , cool indeed.

A big thank you to people on this Forum who are so happy to share ideas and experience.

I'm old enough to remember pre-Internet days, when a computer was the size of a suitcase, email didn't exist and the fax machine was the apex of technology!

A question please: the tweeters on my existing cabinets are offset, what sort of difference will that make to the sound, compared to your cabinets, please?

Thank you

Geoff

• Wait, you computer isn't the size of a suitcase? Mine is. Funny though, the computers get smaller but the monitors get bigger, I think my computer monitor now is larger than the TV we watched when I got my first computer.

When I was young and we got our first computer, email was only checked once per day like the normal mail. Mostly because the internet was on the phone line and no one could make a call if you were on the internet, so you got in, did your thing and then hung up lol. Those were the days, none of that push notification annoyance.

First computer was a Compaq Persario 420 btw, it had a 486DX266 and 8MB of RAM, and 420MB hard drive. We later upgraded to 16MB of RAM, woo!

jr@mac
  • I made it through engineering school with an XT8086 and a dot matrix printer.

rjj45
  • Oh that reminds me, in school I programmed an 8080 in assembler and it was in a literal suitcase! They called them the bombs, circuit board with a keypad and some segment LED displays in a suitcase, super cool.

• We programmed our first processors... Z80's!

• Still more power than Apollo got the guys to the moon and back :)

• haha we had punch cards and unix terminals...My first job we shared a IBM computer with a floppy drive...

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • My first computer was a Northstar Horizon kit. Z80, 16K of memory and 90K 5 1/4" floppy drive. With the operating system loaded there was 1K left for programs in Basic. Each board had roughly 1000 solder connections. 16K memory boards were $400 in kit form and that's what the floppy drives cost too. Those were early 70's dollars.

A friend helped design a board that would output sinewave warble test tones and capture the output of a microphone so I could do speaker measurements with it.

Ron

Silver1omoPWRRYDrjj45
  • Heithkit or TRS80 anyone?

• edited November 2020

Sure! I learned to program a little basic on dumb terminals in college. Our assignment to make a 1040EZ tax program. Then when I landed a job at the TV station, we had a TRS80 with dual floppy drives in the newsroom for the tape library. That thing took forever to boot up. My dad was just across the street working on creating accounting software for his division at Rockwell/Collins. I remember the huge clean room with racks of hardware and those open-reel tape transports.

• @6thplanet said:
    Heithkit or TRS80 anyone?

Do you mean the computer, or Paul Carmody's speakers?!

Geoff

• @6thplanet said:
    Heithkit or TRS80 anyone?

I bought a TRS80 in 1980. 16k ram with expansion interface bringing memory up to 48k. No HD. External 5.25 floppy drive, dot matrix printer, small monochrome monitor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS-80

• I played Dig Dug and Donkey Kong on a Commodore64.

• I remember back in middle school we saved our TRS80 "projects" on a cassette tape.

• Back on topic... I consider this project complete!!! They sound really great considering the driver cost. If anyone is interested please email me.

GeoffMillar