Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Another project started

124»

Comments

• I hope to receive my inductors this week, Australia Post notwithstanding, then I can build the crossovers and confirm your listening impressions.

I just had to enlarge the tweeter holes a bit but otherwise fine.

Not sure if the offset tweeters will make a difference to the sound but I intend to build new cabinets as per your design next year anyway.

Looking forward to it!

Cheers

Geoff

• Craig - what paint did you use on the baffles? I like that texture.

And if you could, send me your crossover. I happen to have both of those drivers on the shelf, so I'll whip up a quick set for my nephew as a thank you for helping tarp our roof again.

Thanks!

• Rustoleum "Cast Iron" followed by a couple light coats of satin clear. I'll send you my project info.

• Cool - Thanks!

• I just wired these up, haven't soldered the crossovers as yet, but these are really, really good: thank you Craig!

The mids are noticeably cleaner and more detailed than my previous design with the BC25TG; the Peerless is a large step up in quality. Bass seems similar to before, but maybe a little tighter, comparing the bass on Kind of Blue with the old and new speakers.

Will sound even better when it's all soldered together properly and gets a new cabinet.

Cheers and thanks again for such a good design

Geoff

PWRRYD
  • I'd also mention that things like cymbals and violin harmonics come across very well, the Vifas are good, but the DA25s are better. I haven't used an aluminium dome tweeter before, so I don't know if it's the dome material or the overall design which makes the difference?

My 'go to' recordings for those sounds include "So What" from Kind of Blue - where there's a huge cymbal crash just after the introduction - and Bach's Sonatas for Violin by Julia Fischer. They're both beautifully recorded.

Maybe they will go on sale again, he hoped.

Geoff

• Awesome! Very happy you like them Geoff.

• edited December 2020

After listening to these for a while now, I can't help but ponder how the Peerless DA25s would match up with the larger 6.5" Peerless SDS 830657s or the SDS 160PROs. The latter have about twice the Xmax of the 830657s but look identical and sound pretty much the same, at least when I've messed around with them.

I only bought one pair of the DA25s so this would be a project for somebody else, but it could make for a nice floor standing two way with enhanced bass and sound output compared to the 830656. I'm really impressed buy this tweeter.

Any thoughts welcome!

Geoff

• edited December 2020

I do have a pair of those SDS 160PROs on my shelf (couldn't resist when they were only $13). Unfortunately the weather here is getting pretty cold and I do all of my table saw and router work on the driveway.

• @PWRRYD said:
    I do have a pair of those SDS 160PROs on my shelf (couldn't resist when they were only $13). Unfortunately the weather here is getting pretty cold and I do all of my table saw and router work on the driveway.

I think you've already set a record for the number of speakers designed and built in a month; no-one could expect another pair, even if the weather was good!

• @PWRRYD said:

With 50-ish temps and no clouds or wind in Central IA I seized the opportunity to do just that on Saturday. Given your productivity lately we'll let you slide for a while.