Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Rival R176-CP MTM MLTL

Comments

• Very nice!

rjj45
  • Those are going to look sweet! I've always been fond of cherry & I like that paint color too.

rjj45
  • Looking good!

rjj45
  • I have a very similar project sketched out on my project list. Same exact Rival drivers in a MTM but with the Morel Supreme tweeters I won as a door prize in Iowa last year (thank you Madisound). I also modeled my MLTL with Hornresp. My design has a slightly different port placement and length and slightly more stuffing. Otherwise these MLTL designs seem to be pretty generic.

• @PWRRYD said:
    I have a very similar project sketched out on my project list. Same exact Rival drivers in a MTM but with the Morel Supreme tweeters I won as a door prize in Iowa last year (thank you Madisound). I also modeled my MLTL with Hornresp. My design has a slightly different port placement and length and slightly more stuffing. Otherwise these MLTL designs seem to be pretty generic.

Once I got some chops going with Hornresp, I started to play with wildly different parameters for a given driver(s) and T/S ported alignments. Some parameters can make a big change, others you have a big range of values for essentially the same output. It's really fun.

PWRRYD
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Don,
    I’m curious, (Mac guy w/o windows pc), re modeling MLTL with Hornresp: can you provide any insights to an aperiodic vented, in combo with a shortened length TL? i.e. possibly by modeling a short and very stuffed line?

Not so much looking as an alt to a ported or full length TL box, but more of an smaller aperiodic box using a stuffed / felt lined divider 'line' to attenuated the higher frequencies along the way to the aperiodic vent.

• @tajanes - I'm sure that Hornresp can do this, but not so sure I can! Give me a couple of days and I'll see what I can do. Do you have a specific woofer and alignment that you are looking at?

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Looking at the 8in MCM 55-5670 you recommended a bit ago (thx)

I ran this in ajdesigner more for calculating box volumes (1cu ft sealed / 1.7cu ft ported) than the alignment, but looking for the smoother roll off ~Qtc .5 to .7 with a lossy / aperiodic box. I'd be interested in what you see with adjusting down from a ¼ length downward towards a single fold w/in maybe a 1.7cu ft box, and/or if it presents any insights of employing an aperiodic vent in a 1cu ft box.

thx

• Any progress Don?

• All buttoned up and ready for crossover development, which should not take long. Got caught up in the holidays and all the political turmoil. Edges carefully painted with some GF Black milk paint and proper amount of stuffing added.

Screwing down the baffle with some pretty screws.

Ready for some Omnimic crossover development.

6thplanetGowaPWRRYDkenrhodesBrannigansLawSilver1omoTurn2S7910ThumperTom
  • Lookin goody in the hoodie.

rjj45
  • They look fantastic!

rjj45
  • Yup, the bronze looks fantastico!!

rjj45
  • edited January 2021

Love your hardwood floors.

• The bronze does look nice!

rjj45
  • Mmmm - Rival MTM B) B)

• Raw driver response as input FRD to Xsim: (tweeter with 20uF protection)

About 20 minutes of fooling around in Xsim showed this with 7 components total:

Silver1omo
  • finished up the boogers. Here's some curves.

THD at 95 dB one meter

Quasi anechoic, nearfield woofer and nearfield port sort of merged.

Toneburst energy storage -- pretty clean, but possibly not outstanding.
    What do you think?

• 0-50 degree polars normalized and not normalized.
    Not sure these look that good . What do you think?

Normalized:

Not normalized:

• Standard 4 curves and crossover will be forthcoming. At one point I measured a 45 dB reverse null!

• Oh, heck. My date can wait....
    45 dB reverse null (woohoo!)

Crossover:

jr@macani_101Silver1omoPWRRYD6thplanetGowasquamishdrocThumperTom
  • Nice looking speaker, I'd add another 2-3dB of BSC personally based on these plots. You might try experimenting with some EQ to place a dip in 2-3kHz range and see if you like that better, as it's obviously a high energy area in the overall directivity.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I'd personally agree with dcibel, it looks a bit hot in the mid-range. I can never get flat speakers to sound good with all the types of music I listen to.

• OK, I got two votes for a change. Typical for my projects! After I drop nearly $200 on crossover components, I find a need to change things...
    One of the funny things about this project is that when I was dialing in the crossover, just listening to one speaker, the bass sounded weak and thin. (should have told me something right there) - but yesterday I fired up the pair, and found that the bass response and depth was very satisfying. But I'll revisit BSC tuning.
    Thanks guys!

• The only person you really need to satisfy is yourself. You can use EQ to provide some insight before making crossover tuning changes.

6thplanet
  • @dcibel said:
    The only person you really need to satisfy is yourself. You can use EQ to provide some insight before making crossover tuning changes.

Eq is your friend.

dcibel
  • The EQ menu within Omnimic can help determine EQ settings, or for equivalent functionality in VituixCAD you can simply load the measured response into Vituix and use the active EQ bands as needed to tune the response, then copy the settings over to the EQ of your choice and listen.