Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Fourth Summer Project

13»

Comments

• And the bottoms. Lol.

Wolfjr@mac6thplanet
  • Thinking of Minion quote:
    "Bottum! Heeheehehehe!"

ugly_wooferjr@mac
  • Now I'm picturing the the scene where one minion is photo copying his butt, and every time a new copy pops out of the copy machine the other ones giggle.

jr@mac
  • The bottoms will display marring due to my spike support method, though.

I have a signature.
  • I have the compound, buffing pads, buffer, sandpaper all ordered or already here. This weekend I will get them wet-sanded and buffed so I can load drivers in and get started on the design work.

I have a signature.
  • Ron_Eugly_wooferPWRRYD6thplanetrjj45jholtzGowaS7910kennyk
    I have a signature.
  • Nice shine! B)

What buffing compound did you use?

• Looking good!

• Five footers, cutting and polishing that Spraymax is a learning curve.

I have a signature.
  • I'll do a writeup later outlining all the things I fucked up, but they will look nice at my desk or in my bar.

6thplanetrjj45GowaSilver1omojhollanderTurn2Ron_EdcibelScottSkennykand 3 others.
    I have a signature.
  • Fucking sweet dude🤘🏼

• Love how those drivers look and I think your red cabinets are a great match.

rjj45
  • Spent some time with these this morning, before I got too exhausted. I have a decent working crossover on it, enough to do some preliminary listening and some good measurements. Distortion at 90db/1M from 100Hz up is below the noise floor in my basement - might be the cleanest I've personally measured. Below 100Hz is still very clean. I have some issues in the current testing crossover I need to work out with regards to off-axis behavior but is otherwise a very solid starting point and to be honest would likely satisfy a lot of people.

Silver1omo
    I have a signature.
  • edited January 2022

So I have it pretty much figured out. I slept 12 hours last night - been averaging 10-12 per day since Thursday night. Spent the last few hours listening and tweaking. Need to order a few parts for it.

The woofer has some linear distortion issues, but nothing I am going to sweat. Bit of rollercoaster behavior between 700-2000Hz. Some of that is likely the surround - not uncommon on modern drivers. Some of it might just be the reason carbon fiber is largely abandoned by manufacturers these days. In my listening today, I may have picked up a very slight edge, but only on relatively simple passages in acoustic music. For the most part, it just sounds smooth and velvety. Great little woofer.

I am committing to the current iteration.

So here are the drivers on the baffle.

Here we have distortion at 90db/1M. For the most part, it is below the noise floor in my basement.

Here is the response over impedance. Phase goes a little far in the bottom end - but not much I can do about that short of sealing them up and losing the phenomenal bass. Rest of it is pretty tame. Some minor differences between modeled and measured due to inexact data input on the part of the designer - but you get the drift.

Here we have the reverse null showing about -30db at the crossover point of ~2900Hz. This is at 1M:

Here are the individual driver responses:

Here are some horizontals. I have a bit of a dip in the 2000-5000 range to compensate a bit for the mild bunching that occurs there off-axis. Other than the anticipated bunching due to the crossover topology, the off-axis is pretty good.

Here is the crossover, 18awg coils. I have a silver Solen for the tweeter circuit (doorprize a thousand years ago) and I'll likely use a Rival Polar 12uF cap on the woofer shunt. Resistor is a NOS Dale from the 60's. Inductance is not measurable on my meter, and they are all 1-2% in spec:

Modeling in WINISD using 0.35 cubic feet tuned to ~51Hz with a 2" flared Precision Port, 20W and appropriate series resistance. The modeled SPL is obviously before baffle step losses. I used 4.5mm as my rough estimate of linear excursion, at 20W it doesn't break Xmax until the low 40's - which should mean it will maintain composure with quite a bit or program material at "loud enough" listening levels:

So now I wait for a couple inductors to show up, solder up the crossover and get them put together and installed in my bar in place of the KRK monitors currently serving duty in there.

I'm going to take a nap, now.

4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • I like woven drivers. Well damped, minimal breakup, and smooth response.

I'm wondering if the cavity resonance on the 850 will rear or not. When Adam Malito built his 3-ways a couple years ago, he said he had to kill that to make them better/listenable.

• I didn't use a trap on my other 850 build.

I have a signature.
  • Gowarjj454thtrysquamishdrockenrhodestajanes
    I have a signature.