Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

F6 + RT1.3WE

2»

Comments

• edited August 2021

So my very artistic daughter got home today and saw these for the first time. She loves the gray baffles, perfect contast that makes the drivers and zebra wood pop! (her words, not mine)... "So I got that going for me, which is nice" (Carl from Caddy Shack voice) B)

She initially named them the "Sunnyside Ups" because they remind her of how she likes her eggs cooked. After some thought she changed her mind because the marrijuana/canibus stores around here are named "Sunnyside Dispensary" and told me they shall therefore be called "The Yellow Jackets". Seems like a good name to me. I've worked up a preliminary xo design. Good simulated FR and phase tracking. Time to dig through my xo parts and see if I need to order anything.

jr@macSilver1omo
  • Unfortunately I had to order a few xo parts for these, so no listening until some time next week. My final sim'd design ended up with 12 parts, 5 for the tweeter and 7 for the woofer. I may end up having to add a small bypass cap across the tweeters' padding resistor to give the top octave a little lift like I did with the Keramiskas. Oh well, xo parts are pretty cheap considering all of the time/labor spent designing and constructing speakers.

• edited August 2021

Ben, I used a parallel notch in the F6 filter with parts somewhat close to your suggestion... .60 mH/ 47 uF / 16 ohm.

FWIW my design is LR4 at ~3k.

• So you went and hit with double the resistance, but started the effect lower in frequency for a narrower band. I bet it took more resistance in the narrower applied bandwidth to get the required effect. Initially, I thought 8 ohms was being overzealous, but came out just right. They will honk if not suppressed enough.

I think you'll like your pairing...

• Well our different baffle dimensions and different low pass slopes dictated a slightly different notch. My sims with my on-axis, off-axis, and my standard weighted average measurements all show what I want.

• Yay, PE box full of xo parts showed up today. I should have a prototype whipped up and will be voicing this weekend.

• My 47 uF caps measure more like 54 uF, so I'll need to unwind my inductors a bit and possibly tweek the resistor too in order to hit my target response.

• @PWRRYD said:
    My 47 uF caps measure more like 54 uF,

Electrolytic? The PE electrolytics have been right on for me.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Yes, PE NP electrolytics.

• GASP, right in the middle of the vocal and midrange too...
    For shame! :o

(j/k)

• Digging through my parts I found a pair of 27 uF Cross Caps. Paralleled two 10 uF Madisound caps so no more NPEs.

• When I'm done voicing these, and if they sound good, I'll order a pair of 47 uF Audyn Q4 caps...

• Having spent a little time with these now here are my first impressions:

1) I messed up on the BSC. Presently these are a little bit too bass heavy. Easy crossover mod.

2) Really great midrange from the F6's!

3) Tweeters don't disappoint. Bells, whistles, cymbals, etc are excellent.

kenrhodesNicholas_234thtry
  • Made a few small crossover changes and these guys rock! Looking foward to feedback in Grand Rapids.

Billet4thtry6thplanetTurn2
  • If anyone is interested in using this midbass, PE has the F6 on sale this weekend for $34.20.

• That's a good price, FWIW, $42 is regular price. It's a very underappreciated midbass that does a LOT right.
    I look forward to hearing them...