Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

HVLP question

Has anyone had success spraying water based Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 with a HVLP gun? The stuff is so thick I imagine it will need to be thinned alot.

Comments

• Never tried it, but should work fine, just thin it up with alcohol, but might take some experimenting with tip size. Let me know how it works.

• Thin water-base with alky?

• Sorry, I glossed right over water base. Is your gun water base capable, which just means stainless parts, other than that, it should be no problem.

• I've sprayed the shellac based and thrown out the water based :#

John H, thanks to JP I did get that email
  • @jhollander said:
    I've sprayed the shellac based and thrown out the water based :#

That's what I was afraid of...

• edited September 7

@PWRRYD said:

@jhollander said:

Hi Craig.

Here's something you might consider for super low VOC sealing that will pop the grain and enhance the color.

https://www.targetcoatings.com/product/emtech-ush3000-ultraseal-wb-shellac-sealer/

My spray booth is in the basement under and next to living areas, so water based is the only option for me.

Jim

• edited September 7

I sprayed it on my basement walls full thickness with an airless paint pump with great results. Very even, slight fine texture that I’m sure could be sanded if need be.

• @jholtz said:

@PWRRYD said:

@jhollander said:

Hi Craig.

Here's something you might consider for super low VOC sealing that will pop the grain and enhance the color.

https://www.targetcoatings.com/product/emtech-ush3000-ultraseal-wb-shellac-sealer/

My spray booth is in the basement under and next to living areas, so water based is the only option for me.

Jim

Thanks for the link Jim and I'm happy you are feeling well enough to post.

• edited September 7

@PWRRYD said:

Thanks for the link Jim and I'm happy you are feeling well enough to post.

Thanks, Craig! I busted out of the hospital Sunday morning and have been getting settled back into home life with a bazillion doctor's appointments etc. The good news is the bypass and valve replacement surgery went really well and I'm on the mend.

The downside is a 10 lb lift limit for over 2 months. That pretty much curtails any activities. They also said no travelling or event gathering are in my immediate future.

But, I'm damn happy to be alive with a lot more years ahead of me!

I appreciate your thoughts my friend!

Jim

Ron_ETurn2rjj45PWRRYD6thplanetjr@macNicholas_234thtrytajanesjhollanderand 7 others.
  • That's great news, Jim! You'll back to bench pressing subwoofers in no time.

jholtz
  • That was quick! Hope you mend just as quickly.

jholtz