Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

HVLP question

Has anyone had success spraying water based Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 with a HVLP gun? The stuff is so thick I imagine it will need to be thinned alot.

Comments

• Never tried it, but should work fine, just thin it up with alcohol, but might take some experimenting with tip size. Let me know how it works.

• Thin water-base with alky?

• Sorry, I glossed right over water base. Is your gun water base capable, which just means stainless parts, other than that, it should be no problem.

• I've sprayed the shellac based and thrown out the water based :#

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @jhollander said:
    I've sprayed the shellac based and thrown out the water based :#

That's what I was afraid of...

• edited September 2021

@PWRRYD said:

@jhollander said:

Hi Craig.

Here's something you might consider for super low VOC sealing that will pop the grain and enhance the color.

https://www.targetcoatings.com/product/emtech-ush3000-ultraseal-wb-shellac-sealer/

My spray booth is in the basement under and next to living areas, so water based is the only option for me.

Jim

• edited September 2021

I sprayed it on my basement walls full thickness with an airless paint pump with great results. Very even, slight fine texture that Iā€™m sure could be sanded if need be.

• @jholtz said:

@PWRRYD said:

@jhollander said:

Hi Craig.

Here's something you might consider for super low VOC sealing that will pop the grain and enhance the color.

https://www.targetcoatings.com/product/emtech-ush3000-ultraseal-wb-shellac-sealer/

My spray booth is in the basement under and next to living areas, so water based is the only option for me.

Jim

Thanks for the link Jim and I'm happy you are feeling well enough to post.

• edited September 2021

@PWRRYD said:

Thanks for the link Jim and I'm happy you are feeling well enough to post.

Thanks, Craig! I busted out of the hospital Sunday morning and have been getting settled back into home life with a bazillion doctor's appointments etc. The good news is the bypass and valve replacement surgery went really well and I'm on the mend.

The downside is a 10 lb lift limit for over 2 months. That pretty much curtails any activities. They also said no travelling or event gathering are in my immediate future.

But, I'm damn happy to be alive with a lot more years ahead of me!

I appreciate your thoughts my friend!

Jim

Ron_ETurn2rjj45PWRRYD6thplanetjr@macNicholas_234thtrytajanesjhollanderand 7 others.
  • That's great news, Jim! You'll back to bench pressing subwoofers in no time.

jholtz
  • That was quick! Hope you mend just as quickly.

jholtz
  • @jhollander said:

After trying to work with this water based I'm to the point of just throwing it away. Straight or thinned doesn't matter.... doesn't brush well or roll well at all. At least not on speaker cabinets.

• Yay for me! Roller grade, black, Duratex to the rescue once again... LOL ! These are just "test" boxes and baffles but I'm hopefully bringing this 3 way hibrid OB project to Iowa in a couple weeks and don't want them to be just naked MDF :#

rjj45
  • Looking forward to hearing them and it doesn't really matter what they look like.

6thplanet
  • Well if I can get the crossovers/voicing done right they have the potential to sound very nice (bassed on the drivers' quality and some initial sims).

• Craig, your cabinets always look good.

• Duratex still wet:

Silver1omodynamojholtzrjj45Turn26thplanethifiside
  • So if I can get these sounding proper... this is what I'll be bring to Iowa in two weeks:

dcibelNicholas_23jr@macjholtzRon_Ehifisiderjj45Turn2Silver1omo6thplanetand 2 others.
  • Now THAT is very interesting....very interesting indeed.

• Kornbread like.

• Yup pretty cool. Big fan of the neo8šŸ‘šŸ»

• Audiopur PLA200-6
    LD22
    R176-KVC-08

• I looks like the Audiopur drivers have disappeared from the market. I look forward to hearing them.

Ron

• I measured everything today. That mid has pretty smooth FR and very good THD through the pass band. The Rival woofer and CSS tweeter measurements are great. Shouldn't be too difficult to work up crossovers. Just wish I had more time to live with them and make small tweeks before Iowa.

• On a side note, the white baffles are only cheap MDF test baffles sprayed with some Binz 123. That is not their final "look". I like hardwood baffles ;)

Billet6thplanetrjj45