Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Listening spaces? Let's see 'em!

Comments

• They look great Jim.

jholtz
  • @dynamo said:

Well since my home listening space is filled with my sister in laws stuff cuz she’s temporarily staying with us, here is my work desktop. Emotiva ego+ dac, Schiit Vali 2++ preamp/hp amp, unnamed powered speakers (Dayton kab250, rs125p, seas h1212).

How do you like the RS125P's?

Steve_Lee
  • edited January 2023

@PWRRYD said:
    How do you like the RS125P's?

I probably haven’t given them a fair shake in this design, but they have their strengths and weaknesses. To my ears they are a touch dark and cloudy, perhaps even a little dull on certain pieces, but have wonderful midbass and lower midrange. They really excel on the bass lines and kicks in music like Fourplay, and sound great with music like deep/dark/dry cello. Vocals (especially on vocal focused music) are very nice. Classic rock and such Im not as impressed, at least in this implementation. They also could use another 10-15hz of extension in a two way with no sub.

My personal thought of their best use is the bottom end (midbass) of a small three-way (plus a sub), or a two way to a robust tweeter that is crossed low / shallow, plus a sub.

Steve_Lee
  • My amp stand showed up, and after a hernia inducing moment lifting the Dreadnaught up and over it - I like it. Not a bad $60 to spend.

As soon as my longer interconnects show up, I'll get things cleaned up and shoot another picture. It really bothers me that the amp is not centered. A lot.

I have a signature.
  • edited January 2023

Here's the current rotation.

jhollanderSteve_Lee6thplanetdynamo
  • Why are they in jail?

dynamo
  • Little fingers?

• edited January 2023

freethespeakers

jhollanderSteve_LeePWRRYDdynamoKornbread4thtryjr@mac
  • I look at them as though they are not caged, but outside the energized perimeter. The listener and pets and little fingers are caged, not the speakers.

a4eaudioSteve_Lee
  • Yes, we cohabitate with a curious 3 year old.

• Our basement home theater/exercise area was finished 12 years ago. The wall and ceiling voids are sound insulated and there's a small closet behind the wall for incoming internet, wifi, rear channel wiring and amps, outdoor antenna, etc. Over the years I've found myself using an SMSL Q5 Pro for 2.1 nearly 98% of the time. The Mrs. prefers viewing on the main floor. As such, the center and rears don't get much use, but the mains rotate frequently. Current iteration below.

Steve_Leedynamo6thplanetjr@mac
  • edited January 2023

Moved some of the sister in laws stuff to take a few pics. Gear: ARC LS15, JBL Synthesis S400, Technics SL1200MK2, Emotiva phono pre, MacBook Pro, Denon DCM555ii, MF v90 dac.

Speakers: “References” (Vifa PL woofers, d27tg45 tweeters)

Not that it says much since I am not half the designer you guys are, but no matter what I build I can’t top these old speakers.. Probably the only design I actually ever got “very right”.

Oh and sorry the pics look like they were taken with a potato. My phone case covers the lens and is scratched to hell.

Steve_Leetajanes6thplanetTurn2ugly_wooferR-Carpenterjr@mac4thtry
  • edited January 2023

Love that ARC preamp! I've always admired those. Just a classic look that appeals to me. Some day....

And I think I was running the same horns in a PA system in the late 80s. 2445 drivers on flat bi-radials?

Kornbread
  • @Tom_S said:
    Love that ARC preamp! I've always admired those. Just a classic look that appeals to me. Some day....

And I think I was running the same horns in a PA system in the late 80s. 2445 drivers on flat bi-radials?

Yeah I like it too thanks. I also love the look. Some of their stuff is too analytical for me, but (maybe it helps that it is their entry level piece at the time) this has a nice “tube preamp” sound. I had an LS7 before that also sounded very nice but I wanted a remote.

You have a keen eye for old JBL stuff lol, they are 2445s.

• Ron, I'm envious of your space that's for sure. As much as I love my current situation, there is always room for improvement.

I have a signature.
  • I really need to clean up my listen space and add some permanent room treatments. Your's all look really nice.

• Got the amp stand and longer interconnects - symmetry has been achieved.

Colonel7Steve_Leehifisidetajanes6thplanetdynamoR-Carpentersquamishdroc4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • BASSment:

Living room:

PWRRYDdcibelTurn2dynamoSteve_LeesquamishdrocColonel7R-Carpenterjr@mac4thtry
  • damn it dynamo, just when I was getting over large horn designs you bring out your JBL's...

dynamo
  • 6thplant
    hafler amp ?

• New house new listening space...

Office

My wife has the home theater setup in the family room. I rotate speakers in there but not much dedicated music listening.

Steve_Leejholtz6thplanettajaneshifisidejr@mac4thtry
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • That table is pretty! You make that too?

• Yeah I made the river table. It's curly walnut with steel legs. There's a long story that goes with it.

tajanes6thplanetSteve_Lee
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited March 2023

My utility room system, Rival/Viawave TM with FX Audio DAC, tube buffer/preamp, and amp.

Where I do my soldering/assembling and sometimes run my WinXP box to play old games.

hifisidetajanes
    I have a signature.
  • Our humble little spot. Certainly not perfect. Yes, the wife has a thing for elephants (I count 7 more above, outside of this shot lol). But she puts up with the stupid big speakers I build.

hifisideSteve_Lee6thplanetjhollanderBilletjr@mac4thtry
  • fair trade off

Steve_Lee
  • Turn those up loud enough and you might get the elephants to walk!

PWRRYDjr@macTurn2
  • Got it cleaned up a bit more, O'Ryan currently rotated in.

6thplanethifisidetajanes4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • ...and yes, the lack of symmetry between the speakers and subs does bother me but they are too heavy to switch sides willy-nilly. That or I am lazier than I am OCD.

kenrhodes
    I have a signature.