Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Up next, something a little nicer...

edited April 2023 in DIY

These will be using the SB NRX2C30-8 5" paper cone midwoofer, and the Hiquphon OW1 tweeter. Cabinet will be approximately 0.3 cubic feet.

I am naming them "Hermosa" after the street I grew up on. That is also the Spanish word for "Beautiful" but that is just a coincidence. I am not that pretentious. I have very fond memories of growing up in that neighborhood as poor as we were.

Anyways, ever since I built the Vermillions lo these many years ago I have wanted to do another build with those midwoofers. So when they went on sale at Madi for $44, I grabbed a pair. I also had the Hiq's on the shelf - got a good deal on them as they have been machined down to a 92mm faceplate, apparently some commercial company used them in that configuration and Mr. Ellis sells replacements etc.

Anyways, I will take a little time on these and make sure the cabinets are finishable. I'll bring them to Iowa, and if I am a nice guy maybe someone will build them in time for Meniscus as well.

Speaking of Meniscus - Mrs. JR expressed an interest in attending this year, whaddya guys think?

I have a signature.
jhollanderSteve_LeeVCORPUZ23

Comments

• edited April 2023

Great show. Dan, Kerry, Chad, Mark, Ken, and Matt do great things together.

• Linn loudspeakers used the 92mm faceplate.

I have a signature.
  • 1) Those drivers look like a nice combo. A little step up from the AliExpress drivers

2) I have been trying to get better at this whole xo/speaker building thing and trying to wrap up some builds for InDIYana next week. Last night I went through several of your recent build-posts to see how you do certain things. So, just wanted to thank you for posting each of your builds, your steps, and thought process.

3) I am always in favor of people coming to Grand Rapids since it is my home-town event.

jr@mac
  • Make sure Amanda attends! She is always fun to talk to and hang out with.

• And I like your your project concept.

• @Wolf said:
    Great show. Dan, Kerry, Chad, Mark, Ken, and Matt do great things together.

I've been several times, sir.

I have a signature.
  • Hiquphon tweeters are one of my favorite dome tweeters.

jr@macPWRRYDjhollander
  • I'm not actually a part of the Meniscus/CSS get-together. I just show up and try to add to the enjoyment, as I do everywhere I go. I'm not with either company just a fan of both, as a Michigander I feel it's my duty to root for the home team. In this case, I'm really lucky that neither team is the Lions. :s

PWRRYDjr@mac
  • I know you have, JR. There still isn't anything to dislike.
    Ken, you've stepped up a couple times over the years at the event to try and help things along like making the comparator for Kerry and Dan, and bringing gear when there wasn't gear present to commence. I think you are more involved in it than you think.

• As soon as we lock a date, I will book flights for us. The missus is looking forward to going to the Founders taphouse - and seeing Meniscus and the event itself, of course.

I have a signature.
  • Oh, and since reproducibility is a design goal this will use a standard cabinet design with a 3/4" round-over instead of my typical 1". I mean, my personal pair will get the larger radius - but I will publish the 3/4" version.

I have a signature.

• Flat packs cut.

kenrhodesugly_woofer
    I have a signature.
  • And glued up. Tomorrow will be router work. I really want these ready for drivers by Thursday night.

I have a signature.
  • JR , I thought you had already provisioned those Hiquphons into service ?

• @Nicholas_23 said:
    JR , I thought you had already provisioned those Hiquphons into service ?

No sir.

I have a signature.
  • edited April 2023

I must be loosing it , not that I ever had it ....

jr@mac
  • @Nicholas_23 said:
    I must be loosing it , not that I ever had it ....

It's all good, brother.

I have a signature.
  • PWRRYDtajanes6thplanetSilver1omohifisideNicholas_23kenrhodesSteve_LeeTurn24thtryand 2 others.
    I have a signature.
  • I might do a rev2 in the future with the CF or ceramic version of the woofer. We'll see.

I have a signature.
  • Woofer is a PITA to work with - but I am dialing it in the simulator.

Both drivers are pretty low distortion, if I can get the XO right these should be very, very nice speakers.

hifisideSteve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • LMT session

6thplanetVCORPUZ23
    I have a signature.
  • Oh, and this is where I am at currently. The reverse null starts around 500 and goes to 11000, with some phase fuckery (C) above that point, but not terrible. I think the Hiq can handle the 1800Hz XO point, based on listening and measurements. It is 3rd electrical plus impedance compensation.

It has a slight spectral tilt and a bit of a "BBC dip" which helps to counter the LR bloom.

Impedance is fairly benign, and although ARTA does not show it, the phase is below +/-30degrees in the areas I can control it.

Got a thumbs up from mama, that's always a good thing. Up next is to put it away for a few days, assemble both, and then give it another listen, this time on the stands where I would listen normally.

hifiside6thplanetugly_woofer4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • OK, gym tomorrow night so maybe Wed night I will revisit.

hifisideugly_woofer
    I have a signature.
  • Hoping I make Iowa to hear this!

• @isaeagle4031 said:
    Hoping I make Iowa to hear this!

when is Iowa / info - thx

• @tajanes said:

@isaeagle4031 said:

when is Iowa / info - thx

October in Ankeny, IA. Usually 2nd or 3rd weekend. Great event.

I have a signature.
  • @isaeagle4031 said:

That would be awesome!

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:

Hope to make it this year. (only a 12 ½ hr. road trip).

• @tajanes said:

@jr@mac said:

Hope to make it this year. (only a 12 ½ hr. road trip).

Look forward to meeting you!

I have a signature.
  • JR I think you guys have met at least once, maybe twice in Ankeny. He brought a 3 way OB project with active/passive xo (year of the power outage and kitchen fire maybe). One of the amps was an old Dynaco ST70 for the MT.

tajanes