Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New project - The Farvalpeas

edited July 2023 in DIY

As I mentioned in another thread I have started a new project using only Peerless drivers. It will be a small MTM, 11 Liters total. The woofers will be the 830855 4" SDS series and the tweeter will be the DA25BG08-06 aluminum domes. The woofers should be here later today. I bought the tweeters from PE when they were on sale for $25. Got started yesterday after work. It took just over one of those 11.5" x 8" x 5/8" Menards particle board shelf boards. These will be ported using some 2" ID CPVC conduit.

rjj45ugly_wooferSteve_Leesquamishdroc

Comments

• Simple box model. Not bad for a pair of 4" woofers.

rjj45
  • Coolness! I'll have something to directly compare to when I get around to doing mine.

• Odd. Around here cpvc is yellow'ish and regular sched40/80 white.

• I don't think you have to worry about PE stealing the name of this one.

jr@maccharlielaubrjj45Steve_Leeugly_wooferTurn2
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • This is not the CPVC you buy at the big box stores. It's from a national pipe supplier. Generally our CPVC is slightly darker gray than our PVC. We use it due to elevated temperatures (up to ~200 F). This is not the white stuff intended for drains and household water supply. My picture looks a little lighter because I sand blasted them and the cell phone camera flash.

• The drivers showed up yesterday as expected. Cute little buggers! I broke them in for 5 hours last night. Will measure their T/S parameters after work today.

• These 4 drivers measured within 1% of each other and within 5% of the manufacturer's published specs. Pretty typical of all my results using Peerless, SB Acoustics, and even Dayton RS series drivers.

Steve_Lee
  • Can you post the TS parameters you measured please.

Thanks.

• Sorry Ken, just now saw your post. I looked but can't find them here at home. Must be at work. I'll post them when I get back.

• edited July 2023

Couple of progress pics:

Fixed pic

Silver1omo6thplanetDrummer
  • edited July 2023

Fixed pic

Steve_Lee
  • Weird... I don't like posting pics directly from my phone. Somehow it edits out the background.

6thplanet
  • Kind of cool if you can figure how it works.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @PWRRYD said:
    Weird... I don't like posting pics directly from my phone. Somehow it edits out the backgroundThat sounds like a phone feature you can turn off> @PWRRYD said:
    Weird... I don't like posting pics directly from my phone. Somehow it edits out the background.

That sounds like a phone feature you can turn off

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Actually kinda neat looking.

• @6thplanet said:
    Actually kinda neat looking.

Agreed. While the selection tool is pretty fuzzy on the edges it does a great job of hiding the bloody bodies stacked in the corner, or whatever revealing details may be lurking there.

Kornbread6thplanetSilver1omo
  • I thought maybe you neglected mowing in favor of building these speakers and just didn't want an overgrown yard to show in the background.

6thplanetugly_woofer
  • I see background!

6thplanet
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Almost ready for measurements:

jhollanderjr@macDrummerhifisidetajanesWolfSilver1omo6thplanetNicholas_23Steve_Leeand 1 other.
  • I've decided to complete the finish on the baffles and the finish on the boxes before I take all the measurements. Usually I throw them together naked just to get my measurements for the xo design and do the voicing. But then I dread having to take them all apart, remove the internal damping, remove the foam gasket tape that seals the baffles to the boxes, etc. This way I might be able to just remove a woofer or two to mount the xo's inside. Postponed gratification maybe?

rjj45
  • edited July 2023

lol That is normally how I do it. Or I would just wind up listening and never finish em.

I think I'll try solid wood baffles on my MTM too (though I'll have to order that in). I ve got a 2ftx4ft sheet of paper backed cherry veneer, but that wouldn't get me enough to do vertical grain on the baffle along with covering the other visible faces.

• Baffles are done, boxes just need a final sanding then a couple of final color coats:

ugly_wooferhifiside4thtrytajanesSteve_LeeSilver1omo6thplanetrjj45Turn2S7910
  • edited July 2023

I really like the sort of "cinnamon" color the BLO/thinner/poly gives these oak baffles. Way better than the classic "Golden Oak" stain/gloss poly look. Thanks Dave Fred for the 1:1:1 tip! These have a satin finish which I prefer for oak.

• How is the dry time on that 1:1:1?

• @kenrhodes said:
    How is the dry time on that 1:1:1?

With a box fan only about 12 hours.

kenrhodes
  • Ready for MWAF...

Steve_LeePWRRYD
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @PWRRYD said:

@kenrhodes said:
    How is the dry time on that 1:1:1?

With a box fan only about 12 hours.

You can tune the mix, more thinner will dry faster.
    Add more oil and it will dry slower but have a more oily look.

• Yes of course you are 100% correct. But I really like the simple baseline 1:1:1 ratio. I know everytime exactly what to expect (call me a non-adventurous person lol). If I end up wanting a bit more sheen then I will just give them a coat of furnature wax =)