Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Design concept

Comments

• No finish yet, just sanded them with 100 grit so far.
  • That is going to be a killer monitor, Craig. Good drivers, and a good crossover designer. I would bet if you talk to some of the musicians at your church, they would know somebody looking for a playback monitor in a studio. These will be perfect.
    I have a signature.
  • Thanks JR.

Do you guys have any suggestions for a veneer for the boxes?  I was sort of leaning towards a lighter contrasting color.  Something like natural birch or maple (clear coat only).  I love walnut and cherry but have already done both and they aren't very contrasting.
  • A figured maple would be beautiful Craig.
  • birdseye maple!
  • or curly maple
  • Anyone see that blue tooth sub that WWWJD posted on PETT?  He did a maple veneer with a pecan stain/poly.  I think that looks great.
  • Yes with a swell aluminum top
  • I didn't like what I found locally for maple or birch veneer.  Pretty blah looking actually, basically Ikea looking crap.  But I did find some really nice red oak veneer.  I've always loved oak.  Not exactly "exotic" hard wood, but always finishes well.
  • Oak takes acrylic color real well but I guess you are going with clear natural finish
  • To me it has kind of a retro color, so maybe flat sawn maple stained black or chocolate
    Turn2
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Oh I like the sound of staining it black John.
  • Yikes!  I did a little googling on staining oak black.  Sounds pretty hit or miss.
  • edited February 2017
    FWIW, I used the Minwax black gloss on cheap old Menards red oak veneer. It came our closer to piano black (while preserving the grain) than any paint technique I could ever use. This was over the .04 cu.ft. prefabs, so not a LARGE job. The flat/semi-gloss black hasn't given bad results either. Maybe I've been lucky.
  • for staining oak black, i ebonize the oak. going alternate with tea and vinegar steel wool solution. works to a nice deep brown/black. Is not perfect, and the oak itself dictates the shade. If it is not dark enough, i go a few more coats. Retains the grains and all the beautiful oak textures and pores.
  • Some of the heavy pigmented stains work well.  General Finishes wipe on stains and I recently tried the new Varathane wood stain Ebony.  This is on walnut so not a fair comparison.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • This is Minwax Polyshades black gloss on Oak. I love the look, satin would look great, too IMO

D1PP1NTurn2
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • How many coats did that take greywarden?
  • Bought a 1/2 pint of Minwax Ebony stain to try on a scrap piece.
  • Hey sorry I forgot to check back. That was 1, maybe two coats I don't remember now. That stuff is super thick

deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • Finished veneering the enclosures yesterday. 

Nicholas_23D1PP1Ngreywarden
  • What an awesome build!
  • Thanks.  This is a different build for me.  Normally the drivers would be fully measured, xo designed and prototyped, and voicing complete while the enclosures are still raw MDF.  Then they go to a DIY event just like that.  With this build I'm banking on them sounding great so I'm doing the finishing first.  Hope it doesn't burn me.
  • PWRRYD said:
    Thanks.  This is a different build for me.  Normally the drivers would be fully measured, xo designed and prototyped, and voicing complete while the enclosures are still raw MDF.  Then they go to a DIY event just like that.  With this build I'm banking on them sounding great so I'm doing the finishing first.  Hope it doesn't burn me.
    Next thing you know, you will have crossovers ready before you even own the drivers..! Nah, who does that?!?!?
    isaeagle4031PWRRYDkennykMzisserson
    I have a signature.
  • Cranky Roemer does that all the time!  Oh wait, he only does that for other people.  He hasn't brought a design to a DIY event since the NTN's in Chicago back in 2012.  I won't comment on those...
    greywardenkennykD1PP1NMzisserson
  • Why would he? Nobody has bested his design yet!
    PWRRYDgreywardenkennykD1PP1NMzisserson
  • I wonder what he ever did with that pair of $$$ Raals his wife won as a door prize a couple years ago.  I think she also won an OmniMic the following year.
  • Hopefully he didn't try to measure them and toast the ribbons...
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • ScottS said:
    Hopefully he didn't try to measure them and toast the ribbons...
    The ribbons are user replaceable.  https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/voice-coils/raal-70-10d-replacement-ribbon/

Ron
  • Ron_E said:
    ScottS said:
    Hopefully he didn't try to measure them and toast the ribbons...
    The ribbons are user replaceable.  https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/voice-coils/raal-70-10d-replacement-ribbon/

Ron
    Optimum word there Ron. USER!