Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Gorilla coffin

Starting a new thread for this, as I will be making a few different ones in the months to come.

johnny5jzSteve_Lee4thtryrjj45

Comments

• Thinking of doing a simulated black ash finish. I think that’s what they call this finish.

jr@macSteve_Lee4thtryrjj45
  • Going to buy vinyl or doing veneer and stain?

• I built a pair of bookshelf speakers with a simulated black ash finish. They turned out looking really good. I veneered the boxes with some cheap paper backed oak veneer, then spray painted them with a couple of coats of Rustoleum flat black. After a few days of curing I rubbed the cabinets with a white Scotch Brite pad. That removed the dull, flat, overspray look and added just enough sheen to look like your example above.

rjj45
  • edited January 30

I will probably use just paint to simulate it. Done a lot of metal woodgrain doors in my days for people. There is no way I can veneer these and then paint over the top of them. I would have way more veneer and paint then I would the drivers and the wood that they’re built out of.

• edited January 30

Unless somebody knows of a sheet of veneer that is around 20 bucks for a 4 x 8. Lol

• Couple samples of simulated “wood grain “ I’ve done in the past.

Steve_Lee4thtrytajanes6thplanetTurn2dynamo
  • I have ebonized oak before and it looks killer. I use steel wool and vinegar to get the rust, after that I go over it with ebony stain.

• Those look great! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

• I also like this look. My Zonker speakers had a very dark simulated wood grain finish that looked very similar. Don't know if it was black ash, because the Menards price tag just said "value shelving". I sanded and painted the roundovers to match with a rattle can of Rust-oleum metallic oil rubbed bronze.

• I’m close. I will perfect it when I get closer to that stage

johnny5jzSteve_Leerjj45Silver1omojhollander6thplanetjr@macugly_woofer4thtrydynamo
  • I shouldn’t be this excited to get these things fired up, but I am.

jr@macrjj45johnny5jzSilver1omougly_wooferSteve_Lee4thtrysquamishdrocdynamo
  • edited January 31

So it's a 12 and a 15? Or 15/18

• edited January 31

I'd like to hear the first 20 seconds of Talking Heads - Burning Down the House on those beasts (cranked to 11)

6thplanetrjj45Steve_Lee
  • I'd like to hear the whole song cranked to 10 :p

6thplanet
  • The intro to "I will Remember" by Toto would be a good one to get those woofers moving!

rjj45Steve_Lee
  • Almost time for 2. Taking my time with this one I would really like this horn to sound nice.

Silver1omojr@mackenrhodesrjj45Steve_Lee
  • jr@macSilver1omorjj45Tom_Sjohnny5jz6thplanetNicholas_234thtrySteve_Leesquamishdrocand 1 other.
  • Jam!!!🤘🏼

• edited February 3

I LOVE systems that can really play clean loud music
    It's a wonder that I never built a diysoundgroup box, but I've got some big high efficiency drivers....

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • If these are still in the shop this weekend I think I'd like to stop out for a listen. I also have three drivers that may be interesting to see on the big baffle.

I have a signature.
  • There here. Still messing with some off axis measurements and the bottom end.

• Those are awesome!!

• At around 115db this morning

jr@macDanPugly_woofer6thplanet