Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New members chime in here.

edited August 29 in Related

Just want new members to have a chance to introduce themselves!

I have a signature.

Comments

• You're replacing me? I guess it was inevitable, can't be new guy forever.

jr@macSteve_LeeAnalogkid455
  • No more egg on your face, uhm sorta....

• If no one responds by the morning, I will have retained my title for one more day.

• @Eggguy said:
    You're replacing me? I guess it was inevitable, can't be new guy forever.

Trying to - you have definitely earned the promotion.

I have a signature.
  • I guess I'll take this opportunity to say hello. My name is James and I'm in western Maryland so not really Midwest. I've done a few small two way builds, nothing fancy. One is a mtm with the peerless bc25sc06-04 tweeter (I think) and some very cheap buyout woofers and another is a tm using the hi-vi F5 and peerless da25bg08-06.

6thplanetSteve_Leeani_101a4eaudiojr@mactajanesAnalogkid4554thtryBryan@MACGeoffMillarand 2 others.
  • Welcome aboard!

I have a signature.
  • OK, I’ll go. I think I’ve been on MAC for about a year, so kinda new. My name is Tom Hannah. I am “cooper” over on PETT since ‘05, more of a lurker than a poster. I am 59 yo, lived in CA my whole life. My grand mother on mother’s side was from the Indianapolis area (one of her fave stories was learingi to drive on the bricks at Indy) grandmother on fathers side was from Iowa. And my daughter lives in Newark OH, so I am familiar with central OH. So that’s my Midwest roots. 😉. I enjoy music, audio (obviously) gardening, cars (have had ‘67 Olds w/425, ‘69 Olds w/455, 68 Buick GS400, a couple of ‘90 fox body 5.0’s, currently a ‘08 mustang bullitt) I also enjoy me some cerveza 🍺 bbq/grilling on an old school 22” Weber kettle. Have a great wife who does not give a shit about speakers, but tolerates. Most recent build is a set of Paul C’s Carerra, I snagged one of the last kits from meniscus before they closed. What a fantastic little speaker 😁. Music wise I am all over the board but I am. Deadhead for sure, for going on 40 years now. Was lucky enough to see them with Jerry Garcia about 90 times, at least a dozen Jerry solo shows, and probably almost 50 shows of the various incarnations since Jerry died. Wife and I elected not to try to see them at the sphere in Vegas this summer, I am already regretting not going. All for now, have a great holiday weekend all. Tom

a4eaudiojr@mactajanes4thtryBryan@MACGeoffMillarEggguySteve_Lee
  • Nice car collection!

6thplanet
  • No doubt!

• Thanks, if only I still had them lol. The Buick GS was sweet. It belonged to the grandmother of a kid down the street. I bought it for $1,200. Was all original and pristine with 49k miles. Of course in 1982 a lot of ‘gas guzzlers” were still around and could be had for less than $2k. Like the high school idiot I was I put a cam in it, headers, shift kit, etc. was still in good shape when I sold in ‘87 (to buy a S15 pickup) for $2,300. It really wasn’t all that fast. Really just a nice cruiser.

• @tommytunes50 said:
    OK, I’ll go. I think I’ve been on MAC for about a year, so kinda new. My name is Tom Hannah. I am “cooper” over on PETT since ‘05, more of a lurker than a poster. I am 59 yo, lived in CA my whole life. My grand mother on mother’s side was from the Indianapolis area (one of her fave stories was learingi to drive on the bricks at Indy) grandmother on fathers side was from Iowa. And my daughter lives in Newark OH, so I am familiar with central OH. So that’s my Midwest roots. 😉. I enjoy music, audio (obviously) gardening, cars (have had ‘67 Olds w/425, ‘69 Olds w/455, 68 Buick GS400, a couple of ‘90 fox body 5.0’s, currently a ‘08 mustang bullitt) I also enjoy me some cerveza 🍺 bbq/grilling on an old school 22” Weber kettle. Have a great wife who does not give a shit about speakers, but tolerates. Most recent build is a set of Paul C’s Carerra, I snagged one of the last kits from meniscus before they closed. What a fantastic little speaker 😁. Music wise I am all over the board but I am. Deadhead for sure, for going on 40 years now. Was lucky enough to see them with Jerry Garcia about 90 times, at least a dozen Jerry solo shows, and probably almost 50 shows of the various incarnations since Jerry died. Wife and I elected not to try to see them at the sphere in Vegas this summer, I am already regretting not going. All for now, have a great holiday weekend all. Tom

I am an Olds guy as well! Not many of us around. I do like Pontiacs and Buicks too.

6thplanet
  • @JamesMc said:
    I guess I'll take this opportunity to say hello. My name is James and I'm in western Maryland so not really Midwest. I've done a few small two way builds, nothing fancy. One is a mtm with the peerless bc25sc06-04 tweeter (I think) and some very cheap buyout woofers and another is a tm using the hi-vi F5 and peerless da25bg08-06.

Welcome fellow Marylander. I am in Westminster. Not to far from Baltimore but it is a totally different world were I live.

• @Analogkid455 said:

I am an Olds guy as well! Not many of us around. I do like Pontiacs and Buicks too.

Cool! The ‘69 was my grandfathers “98” a land barge for sure but the 455 4 barrel, 10.25:1 compression it could really move. A hand me down, They thought it would be a “safe” car for me at 16 y.o. OMG - with a 2.56 rear end I got it up to 130 before lifting.
    (120 was about 5 o’clock on the Speedo and I had it hanging straight down at 6 😨 that car taught me what “brake fade” was lol so glad I didn’t kill anyone 😬

Analogkid4556thplanet
  • @Analogkid455 said:

Welcome fellow Marylander. I am in Westminster. Not to far from Baltimore but it is a totally different world were I live.

Thanks, I'm out in Cumberland so a few hours west of you but I grew up in Jersey so I understand what you mean by a totally different world.

Analogkid455
  • This is why we have threads like this - great seeing connections being made.

Steve_LeeAnalogkid455
    I have a signature.
  • @JamesMc said:

@Analogkid455 said:

Thanks, I'm out in Cumberland so a few hours west of you but I grew up in Jersey so I understand what you mean by a totally different world.

Great area! I love it out there. The Mountains are beautiful but you get a lot of snow out there.

• I'm not 'new' per se, but I have said very little previously on this particular forum. My name is Danny Taylor, I met and spoke with a handful of you at Iowa DIY 2023. I probably saw many others from the forum, forgive me if I didn't introduce myself as I'm generally not much of a talker. I'm in Las Vegas, NV now, though I'm from Dubuque, IA. I built my first pair of speakers as a junior in college at Iowa State back in....2005ish? It was a Wayne Jaeschke (sp?) design that I rebuilt a few years later with better materials and had them professionally finished in gloss black. They've been in my living room ever since, despite one of the woofers seemingly rubbing something the wrong way when under stress. I've probably assembled around a dozen sets of speakers in all, including a handful of my own design, though I have not seriously attempted crossover work at this point.

Current work includes:

1. The Keramiskas, which I've been working on over a year due to somewhat unique construction. I created a hollow shell of 1/4" material (MDF I think, it's been a while) and mixed and poured polymer concrete inside the form. It was hugely messy and time consuming, and I'm not necessarily convinced it's all that much stiffer than 1" sidewalls, but they're almost ready for the painter. So close, maybe another weekend or two to cut out a countersink for a terminal plate and then just sealing and sanding. These are destined for an office setting.

2/3. I also have a set of Overnight Sensations TMM that I need to troubleshoot and a Speedster TMM that I sort of started. Probably only keeping one set for a small sitting room once I hear both of them.

1. Then I have my own design, a large floorstander using a quad of 7" Anarchies and a Seas C18EN002 coaxial with four passive radiators from Dayton. I was hoping to complete this for Iowa this year to get input on the crossover, but I'm not even close. So 2025 it is! These will replace my living room mains, and there is a plan for a whole set including matching center channel, surrounds, and Atmos speakers over the next several years.

2. I've also begun some work on Jon Marsh's SMJ40 design that he is working on. Mine will be a bit different, but I was also hoping to bring this to Iowa sometime (if he doesn't get out there himself). GRS 5010-8, GRS 2522C, and a quad of Dayton RSS-210HF-4 subwoofers per cab, plus passive radiators (also from Dayton). Absolutely no idea where this will go.

3. Finally, I have a very small pair of bookshelf speakers that Wolf graciously helped me with by providing a crossover design. It uses the Tang Band W4-1879 and the SB26STCN. I have yet to build the crossover as a part is backordered at PE. I'm looking forward to seeing if I can fit it in the cabinet. These are for my wife's office.

I have several other kits in storage that I nabbed when Meniscus was closing their doors and I'm really excited about them because I think they're all by Jeff Bagby, and I've never heard any of his designs. Obviously I have too many fires going right now to start on them, but I will dig them out someday.

hifisideSteve_Lee6thplanet4thtryAnalogkid455
  • I ask my wife, Do you know why I am doing this? And if she says no, I say, because you are letting me.

Analogkid455
  • @Eggguy said:
    I ask my wife, Do you know why I am doing this? And if she says no, I say, because you are letting me.

The truth sets us free... ha

• @Analogkid455 said:

Great area! I love it out there. The Mountains are beautiful but you get a lot of snow out there.

Cumberland isn't usually to bad for snow but if I go 10 miles west to Frostburg or Garret County that's a whole different story!

Analogkid455
  • I'll chime in as well, I'm Dan Watson. As it goes, long time lurker, both here and the PE forum. I was at the 2022 and 2023 PE SDC but schedule didn't work out this year. In 2022 I built the 'Active Acoustics', which were a DSP based 3way with a 100% hardwood enclosure, maple front baffles and cherry for the remainder. Last year I brought the 'Quattroporte', a 2way passive design with butcher block oak front baffles.

I'm currently based out of State College, PA - home to Penn State University. I built my first speakers in 2012, the PE 'TriTrix' kit. Instead of the knockdown cabinets I used 4/4 red oak for the sealed enclosures - I grew up around sawmills and woodworking. Professionally I mostly work on structural vibration analysis, but occasionally deal with airborne acoustics.

I spent 6 years in metro Detroit and grew up in Kentucky, schedule permitting I hope to make it to more of the midwest based events in the future. It's always easier to justify a trip to visit friends and family along with hobby travel.

Steve_Lee6thplanettechnodanvanjr@macPWRRYD4thtryWolfBilletsilverDAnalogkid455and 1 other.
  • @technodanvan said:
    I'm not 'new' per se, but I have said very little previously on this particular forum. My name is Danny Taylor, I met and spoke with a handful of you at Iowa DIY 2023. I probably saw many others from the forum, forgive me if I didn't introduce myself as I'm generally not much of a talker. I'm in Las Vegas, NV now, though I'm from Dubuque, IA. I built my first pair of speakers as a junior in college at Iowa State back in....2005ish? It was a Wayne Jaeschke (sp?) design that I rebuilt a few years later with better materials and had them professionally finished in gloss black. They've been in my living room ever since, despite one of the woofers seemingly rubbing something the wrong way when under stress. I've probably assembled around a dozen sets of speakers in all, including a handful of my own design, though I have not seriously attempted crossover work at this point.

Current work includes:

1. The Keramiskas, which I've been working on over a year due to somewhat unique construction. I created a hollow shell of 1/4" material (MDF I think, it's been a while) and mixed and poured polymer concrete inside the form. It was hugely messy and time consuming, and I'm not necessarily convinced it's all that much stiffer than 1" sidewalls, but they're almost ready for the painter. So close, maybe another weekend or two to cut out a countersink for a terminal plate and then just sealing and sanding. These are destined for an office setting.

2/3. I also have a set of Overnight Sensations TMM that I need to troubleshoot and a Speedster TMM that I sort of started. Probably only keeping one set for a small sitting room once I hear both of them.

1. Then I have my own design, a large floorstander using a quad of 7" Anarchies and a Seas C18EN002 coaxial with four passive radiators from Dayton. I was hoping to complete this for Iowa this year to get input on the crossover, but I'm not even close. So 2025 it is! These will replace my living room mains, and there is a plan for a whole set including matching center channel, surrounds, and Atmos speakers over the next several years.

2. I've also begun some work on Jon Marsh's SMJ40 design that he is working on. Mine will be a bit different, but I was also hoping to bring this to Iowa sometime (if he doesn't get out there himself). GRS 5010-8, GRS 2522C, and a quad of Dayton RSS-210HF-4 subwoofers per cab, plus passive radiators (also from Dayton). Absolutely no idea where this will go.

3. Finally, I have a very small pair of bookshelf speakers that Wolf graciously helped me with by providing a crossover design. It uses the Tang Band W4-1879 and the SB26STCN. I have yet to build the crossover as a part is backordered at PE. I'm looking forward to seeing if I can fit it in the cabinet. These are for my wife's office.

I have several other kits in storage that I nabbed when Meniscus was closing their doors and I'm really excited about them because I think they're all by Jeff Bagby, and I've never heard any of his designs. Obviously I have too many fires going right now to start on them, but I will dig them out someday.

All sounds great. Number 5 and 6 sound amazing. Those RSS-210s are amazing. I have the 2522s. Not impressed. I also have that SB tweeter. Super impressed. All TB drivers I have had were very good.
    Thanks for sharing!

• A couple years in here but I have yet to meet anyone in person. Hoping I can get out to an event one of these years when work and family commitments don’t interfere with a long trip. I’m Dave and from still another part of Maryland (Edgewater/Davidsonville) that is a a big wetland or swamp depending on how you look at it. Been building speakers since 2020 and took it up when I was pretty ill for a couple years. Great hobby because it rewards patience and almost any issue can be dealt with through problem solving and diy engineering. And no, I was never in the military but my moniker is a nickname from childhood that stuck playing sports.

Steve_LeeAnalogkid4554thtry
  • @Colonel7 said:
    A couple years in here but I have yet to meet anyone in person. Hoping I can get out to an event one of these years when work and family commitments don’t interfere with a long trip. I’m Dave and from still another part of Maryland (Edgewater/Davidsonville) that is a a big wetland or swamp depending on how you look at it. Been building speakers since 2020 and took it up when I was pretty ill for a couple years. Great hobby because it rewards patience and almost any issue can be dealt with through problem solving and diy engineering. And no, I was never in the military but my moniker is a nickname from childhood that stuck playing sports.

I worked in Edgewater when I lived in Annapolis. Great seeing Marylanders in this hobby. Cheers!

Colonel7Eggguy
  • People who have been around awhile are also welcome to chime in.

I have a signature.
  • Here's a picture of me so people know what my ugly ass looks like.

ugly_wooferhifisideSteve_LeeEggguyAnalogkid4554thtryMikeg
    I have a signature.
  • edited September 9

Hey, ugly is my thing :p

Love the tee shirt.

jr@macSteve_LeeAnalogkid455
  • That's adorable

• @Eggguy said:
    That's adorable

Thank you, sir 😋🤔😄

I have a signature.