Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Open Baffle Hybrid Design

Comments

• Loaded baffles now attached to the woofer boxes...  Let the measurements begin!

PS - you can clearly see the flaws on the left baffle above and below the tweeter's right side :angry: 
    Turn2kennyk4thtry
  • Well hot damn! Looking good
  • Those look good.  Shellac is a repairable finish.  You can sand the spot with 220 on something small like a 1/4 inch dowel rod, then using a small brush dipped in denatured alcohol blend in the finish.  

With the brush you can always add more shellac then blend in.  If using a rattle can I spray into the can top then dip in the brush.

This will work best if the baffle is horizontal.

This build makes me want to to do another OB mid...
    PWRRYD
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Great job!...............so how does it sound?
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Still working on the xo design.  I can say that during the measurement sine sweeps the OB mid sounds VERY different than my small sealed computer speakers (that also use the TC9FD).
  • Just finished up my first pass simulated crossover.  Being a 3 way it takes quite a few parts naturally.  17 to be exact.  Luckily 7 of them are just resistors and the inductors aren't very large.  The large caps will be NPE for sure.  XO points are 900 Hz LR2 and 3300 LR4.
    kennykjr@macgreywarden
  • Just for S&G's I simulated a 2 way without the tweeter.  Man I have all of the 6 parts per side in my stock so for fun will build some prototypes just to hear how that little mid sounds OB with no tweeter.
    Silver1omoNicholas_23kennykjhollander
  • WOW!  I just listened to this project for about an hour with some well recorded music (one of Ron E's Iowa long program CD's).  This was the simple 6 component crossovers using only the ND105-4 woofers and TC9FD open baffle mids, no tweeters.  Wow!  I likey!
    Turn2
  • How was the off axis on this Craig? I'm curious , I bought four of those Vifa mids awhile back and interested in using them, or at least two of them . 
  • PWRRYD said:
    WOW!  I just listened to this project for about an hour with some well recorded music (one of Ron E's Iowa long program CD's).  This was the simple 6 component crossovers using only the ND105-4 woofers and TC9FD open baffle mids, no tweeters.  Wow!  I likey!
    In your opinion, would 2 TC9's (ala the Brio Trio) overwhelm a single ND105? 
  • Looking at the transfer function, I am padding the single TC9 -3dB.  I was playing it pretty freakin loud last night and the woofer has issues before the single mid does.
    Turn2
  • Nick, the off axis wasn't bad.  I wouldn't call it a wide dispersion design though :astonished: 
    Nicholas_23
  • I listened to these a little more after work tonight.  I'm going to make new baffles this weekend with no tweeter holes :)  I like how they sound a lot.  

Nick I will be bringing these to SD as well as my Gormachos (8945A, CAM558, Neo1.0).  Will also bring my latest tube amp in case anyone wants to have a listen.
    Nicholas_23jhollanderJasonP
  • Awesome.  I loved my mid/ tweeter OB designs but they all fell down in bigger rooms, so don't be too disappointed.

Several people panned the Titan OB at MWAF and Iowa, but they still sound great in my room...center couch position...
    kennykPWRRYD
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • First time I messed with OB mids, it was like an epiphany! They just seem so much more dynamic and detailed.
    PWRRYD
  • I actually think the venue in SD might be ideal for these.
  • They will, the more open the area the better. Now pair that with H-frame woofers and part two of pure sound ecstasy will arrive....
  • Cool but beautiful sunny weather here today.  So after work I was able to cut the new baffles out of a nice plank of hickory I've had for a while.  Tomorrow I will machine the driver cutouts and their frount roundovers.  Time permitting I will machine the edge roundovers, the driver rear rebates, driver mounting holes, and start sanding.  Pictures to follow.
  • Wow, I've had a more productive day today than normal.  Here are the baffle blanks I cut out after work yesterday:

kennyk
  • I've been getting up at 4 AM and going into work early for the past couple of weeks (covering for a guy who quit and training the new guy).  So unfortunately I wake up at 4 AM on Saturdays and Sundays now...  but with everyone else still fast asleep I can sneak down the work bench and layout the baffles.  Got outside early and made some saw dust.  They just need sanding and finishing.  This hickory is HARD and heavy!!!

kennykTurn2jhollander4thtry
  • And the backsides:

Nicholas_23
  • I imagine you have buttoned them up and (sitting back with a beer) soaking up some tunes. 
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • I didnt get shit done so far this summer. Last night a friend stopped by (Kolda, Nick) to buff a little on my truck and it seems the Perfect It does not work withoutcopious amounts of Leinies and bullshitting about making music. Ergo, today I did nothing but take two naps and go for a drive. Tonight we (wife and I) have a double date with a musiciand and his lady friend - he has a studio in his basement and I suspect we will be singing and recording. 

Long story short - missing speaker building but so many other exciting projects that I am staying busy. 

Looks great, Craig. 
    I have a signature.
  • Awesome JR.

Kenny, well after I was done making critical cuts and using power tools... yeah I grabbed an IPA and started sanding.  Happy to say sanding is complete and the baffles are ready for the finishing steps.  Just fired up the grill, time for family time.  Looking forward to seeing you guys in a few weeks.
    kennyk
  • So, from looking at the baffles, these will be the two way versions? Do you plan on bringing the three way Craig?
  • Wait , I'm confused
    kennyk
  • Three ways 
  • Only 2 way version.  The TC9's sounded great without tweeters.
  • Sweet , I'm looking forward to hearing them