Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

When is it truly DIY???

2»

Comments

• I figured weather might be part of the reason, makes sense.  Gotta find something to do while stuck inside.  How often do you guys host the MAC event and when is the next one? And where?

• Grinnell, Iowa, this October 21
    I have a signature.
  • Good times in Grinnell!
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • FWIW - I do not think the bike rally analogy is a bad one. In fact, I believe it is an accurate one. The Sturgis rally (which we endure every year here in SoDak) started as a small gathering of guys racing their motorcycles up hills and has evolved into 700,000 people trying to bond over a common interest. There are still competitions (usually involving titties and beer), of course, but the primary focus is to have a damn good time with a group of people with a similar interest. 

The social aspects have swamped the original competitive aspect of the event, is the point. There are bike shows and winners and losers in those - but that isn't the thrust of the event. In fact, it is almost unrelated to the event itself these days. Very few people participate. The swap meets, the campgrounds, the concerts, seminars, food etc are what people love about the event. 

I think we can bring that sense to the DIY audio community.
    I have a signature.
  • Ooo i like that audio rally....! We should bring back the educational series to MAC events.... There were a couple...
  • Kevin my comment was not directed towards you.
  • PWRRYD said:
    Kevin my comment was not directed towards you.

No problems man.  I was just pointing out that I walked away a winner this year and didn't complete the build on my own.  I know one of the ones you are referring to without mentioning names.  Just didn't want you thinking that's how I plan to roll every year. 

I am striving to be able to do this stuff on my own.  It's starting to sink in.  Some of us learn faster then others, and admittedly I'm one of the slower ones.  Seeing how something is done has always been faster for me then reading how something was done.  Unfortunately, there's too much distance between me and other builders so having an opportunity to work with someone up close and watch how they do it hasn't been an option. 

Looking forward to meeting you at a future event. 
  • jr@mac said:
    Grinnell, Iowa, this October 21

JR, is this a "one day" or "weekend" event?  Who can I talk to for more information or is there a website link?
  • All info here: http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/events/iowa2017/registration/

It is a weekend event, typically starting out informally on Friday evening, Saturday is the main event, and there is again informals in the Hotel dining room on both Saturday evening, then typically moving to somebody's room till wee hours in the morning.... Sunday is typically wrap up and go home....!
  • Also look for the IOWA DIY 2017 thread in this forum as well as PE
  • Don't believe for a minute that I am against collaborative builds, Kevin.

Iowa is a blast, the venue alone will make you reconsider attending other events. The company is great, as well. 

I am not too active in MAC lately due to a series of events both in and out of my control, but I will be there for the entire thing in October. 
    I have a signature.
  • Sounds good guys, I'm going to try to work it in. May only have a small set of bookshelves available to bring (or ship if that's an option) to the event.  Thanks for the invite!
  • The hotel will accept ship ins, Kevin. 
    I have a signature.
  • Me too JR!  That was certainly not my point.  Collaborative builds are great.  They bond friendships and each party walks away with better skills.

Shipping your raw built speakers to and "paying" a hired gun to measure, design xo, and voice them for a sponsored "DIY" contest...  isn't really DIY in my book.
  • We used to have a rule for anyone entering their speakers in a DIY event that the crossover and basic build info had to be made available for anyone that wanted to build them for personal use. Is that collaborative or a hired gun? How about quid pro quo? There are crossovers that are proprietary in at least one of the speakers entered in Iowa this year.

IMHO, publishing the crossover and build info pretty much eliminates the argument. YMMV...

Jim
  • What speakers this year use a proprietary crossover? I will make sure the presentation reflects that - as it borders on my "no commercial entries" rule. 

I have considered disallowing any secret anything in the past - meaning the design needs to be completely open source on all fronts. Maybe it is time to formalize that. 
    I have a signature.
  • I've made a lot of friends over the 15 years I've been involved with DIY which is why I know where the crossover came from and also why I'm not going to be "the guy" that told you. ;)

A couple thoughts. When there was an "incentive" to be selected for best sound in a certain class and win a special prize at the events, it made a difference. Show and tell is more about showing your latest build and hanging out. There's no real incentive to "beat anyone" by having the best sounding speaker. Unless someone is selling designs and kits to make a profit or a living and they publish the plans including the crossover, its really DIY. Again, YMMV... Those are just my thoughts.

MAC runs the event so it's up to you guys to set the rules and make them known to all the entries.

Jim
  • It is the reason I would personally ban a Continuum entry. No room in DIY for that non-sense. 
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:

I have considered disallowing any secret anything in the past - meaning the design needs to be completely open source on all fronts. Maybe it is time to formalize that. 
    Seems like a good idea.  I don't know any DIY'rs that would have a problem with that.