Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Monster project. Wanted to share

I had 28 of these laying around. They are motorcycle audio speakers. Nothing special!Built 4 identical boxes to hold 3 woofers and 1 mid. The tweeter enclosure in the center will hold the crossovers inside on a slide drawer. The woofersare in 4 cu.ft tuned to 44hz. The midrange is in a .5cu.ft sealed wedge enclosure. The diffuser panels surround the mid 5” back from there 1.5” denim than behind that stuffed with poly fill. Checking my progress with xsim. Still some work to do but the soundstage on these is getting very detailed. Do you think it’s the way the drivers are shaped?I used the Peerless DA25TX 1” tweeters crossed at around 2.2k and mids crossed around 150hz. Trying to use minimal components. Roller feet in the future and some type of finish probably not a high shine finish, that sounds time consuming. I have under $500 so far in them. When finished I would like to be at around $1k.
jhollanderjr@macGowakennykBryan@MACD1PP1NS7910DanPSteve_LeeColonel7and 4 others.

Comments

• edited January 2019
    Monsters!  And I actually really like the look.  Sorry, I have no knowledge to address the sound.  Where are these headed?

What material are the diffusers, looks like wax that is why I'm curious.....
    kennyk
  • There urethane rubber. There different stiffness this mid way.
  • Very cool.  What are the diffuser panels made of please?

My signature goes here
  • Bryan@MAC said:
    Very cool.  What are the diffuser panels made of please?

Urethane Casting Rubber.
  • Hifi nice work. The diffuser idea is awesome. P.s. how do you like the Carver? 
  • D1PP1N said:
    Hifi nice work. The diffuser idea is awesome. P.s. how do you like the Carver? 
    Thanks. I like it, in great shape. It will sit on the shelf till I can find a few more carver pieces.
    D1PP1N
  • Its a cool amp. My adcom 5 channel had 1 channel board fail and i was looking at getting another and they are selling for 150-200 each used on ebay. Starting thinking its way more profitable to sell the boards and not the amp. Amp might have been $300-400!
  • looks like you've hit another (way) out of the park !
    hifiside
  • Time to finish these and deliver them.

jhollanderSteve_Leerjj456thplanetsquamishdrocugly_wooferSilver1omoScottSRon_ES7910and 2 others.
  • I do like the color combo!

4thtry6thplanet
  • Now there’s one!

6thplanetR-CarpenterNicholas_23dynamo
  • Punchy sounding?

They look great!

• @Steve_Lee said:
    Punchy sounding?

They look great!

Can’t remember. Just got them assembled again after painting 3 years ago. I’m going to redo the crossover and all the measurements and then we’ll go from there.

• @hifiside said:
    Checking my progress with xsim. Still some work to do but the soundstage on these is getting very detailed. Do you think it’s the way the drivers are shaped?

Nice looking cabinets! I would think that the 6 x 9 shape of the mids would narrow the horizontal directivity pattern somewhat and make them sound more detailed. Assuming these are 6x9 drivers, I guesstimated from your photos that the driver heights + spacing + tweeter cab (72+18+5.5) = 95.5" tall. So, they should just clear an 8 foot ceiling with 7" to spare!! Or am I way off? Also, how much do these monsters weigh? B)

• Yes. 6x9. They stand 7’ 6” tall and each side is roughly 170lbs.

• You just out bigged yourself. Congratulations.

• Narrower membrane = wider H dispersion

Steve_Lee4thtry
  • You should let me tag along with JR , would love to see the shop and what not.

• @Nicholas_23 said:
    You should let me tag along with JR , would love to see the shop and what not.

Sounds fine to me.

• Nick, we can meet at my house and you can give a listen to a build or two then we can carpool to Brads shop.

I have a signature.
  • Sounds good guys , I will talk with the bossman and see about getting the third off.

• Awesome project and awesome shop! Sorry if I missed it but do you build speakers as a profession (or paid hobby)? If you don’t you should..

• @dynamo said:
    Awesome project and awesome shop! Sorry if I missed it but do you build speakers as a profession (or paid hobby)? If you don’t you should..

Thank you and yes kinda. That will be announced soon here in MAC.

dynamo
  • Lol its about time I wrap this up. I do love the big speakers, though.

Steve_Leetajanes6thplanet
  • VW project as well… in your free time B)

hifiside6thplanet
  • In-freaking-credible, but every time I see these it messes with my brain. I keep thinking the photo has been stretched in the vertical but not the horizontal.

hifiside