Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Next speaker project

Comments

• jr@mac said:
    I don't even finish most of mine these days - I find too much joy in the engineering side. 
    +1

Even routering driver rebates has become a very mundane task. If I had the space I would build a DIY CNC machine like Mike did.

kennyk
  • PWRRYD said:

+1

Even routering driver rebates has become a very mundane task. If I had the space I would build a DIY CNC machine like Mike did.

I have that CNC dream too - but then I wake up and see our house just isn't big enough either.
  • Here is a 40x40 one with 32x32 cutting area for lime $1800. They have units that will cut lime 12x32 or other dimensions. Software and everything included. All leadscrew driven so no belt bullshit to deal with. Price of entry is coming down quite a bit. 

That said my prices are reasonable if you want baffles made and they are cost effective to ship. Full pair of cabinets cost alot to ship. It ends up being a really heavy package. I've been doing stuff for friends by request only. Don't really want to start a business up at this point but taking stuff on a case by case business. 

https://openbuildspartstore.com/lead-cnc-1010-40-x-40-1/

• Tom_S said:
    PWRRYD said:

+1

I have that CNC dream too - but then I wake up and see our house just isn't big enough either.
    https://www.shapertools.com/

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Mike, since you're so close I am going to reach out to you on my next project.  I've seen your work and it is top notch.  And since I can cruise down to your place and back for less than $10 for gas...  just makes sense.
  • My son is super excited (so am I)!  The weather here was beautiful on Thursday so after work Jacob and I got all the MDF panels cut.  He actually followed my CAD drawing and did all the table saw fence set up.  Of course I ran all the pieces through the saw but he was right there with his safety glasses on taking each piece and checking them for squareness and organizing them as we went.

Saturday was another beautiful day here.  Jacob and I got up extra early and he and I laid out the baffle and he used the drill press to drill all the pilot holes for the router.  I was able to router the speaker holes fairly quickly since he decided that we would only surface mount all of the drivers :)

He woke up early again this morning and we were able to start gluing up some of the sides before getting ready for Church.  Here are a few pictures of our progress:

Obviously we still need to construct the inner chamber for the mids before we finish up the rest of the sides and install the back.  We also have several braces that will be installing along the way.
    dynamoS7910kennykjhollanderNicholas_23WolfD1PP1NThumperTomGowaJasonPand 1 other.
  • Rockin! That's some good progress 👍
  • Looking great so far!!

It might be few years before he'll be able to move them by himself. If they survive his teen years unscathed, he'll sure have a rockin dorm room.
    rjj45
  • Lookin good!
  • Old school Monkey Coffin!
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • This is fantastic Craig!
  • Thanks Chuck.  Jacob is haven't a great time with this.  I swear it's all he talks about.  Going over and over the next steps.
    Silver1omoGowaMikegS7910
  • Quick update, we have these boxes done, stuffing inserted, and the drivers installed.  It's supposed to be beautiful here today so it's Spring yard work day for me :(  Tomorrow looks like rain so hopefully Jacob and I can get a full set of measurements done :)
    kennykSilver1omoGowa
  • Well the woofers and mids measured extremely well.  The tweeter not so much.  I know surface mounting it doesn't help as well as sitting between two surface mounted mids, but the overall response is not what this project needs.  I bit the bullet and ordered a pair of the Vifa NE19VTS-04 that will fit the existing holes perfectly.  Now this project uses all currently available Vifa drivers so if one gets damaged I can get a replacement.
  • Looking good! Interesting idea to thin out the baffle for the midrange chamber, I might have to steal that. What's the tweeter that's not measuring up? Your OP mentions ND16, but that's not what I see in the photos.

You're going to love the TC9 if you haven't used it before.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Yeah I never ended up using the ND16.  I started out with a pair of Audible Physics.  They are just barely sensitive enough to work with the parallel pair of TC9's (i.e. only 1 ohm padding).  Running sine sweeps they just don't sound right to me.  Their measurement show a 5 dB dip from from 5kHz to 8kHz.  And the two tweeter measurements don't exactly match each other.  So enter the Vifa NE19.

I have used the TC9 before as an open baffle driver.  I really like how they sound.

dcibelJasonPkennykNicholas_234thtry
  • edited April 2019
    The NE19VTS tweeters arrived today.  They are tiny Beasts!  Luckily they are a perfect "drop in and screw down" physical replacement.  We'll see how they measure and sound.
    JasonP
  • Those Tymphany/Vifa NE tweeters are super-impressive. No matter what Zaph claims on his now quite defunct site.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Zaph who?  J/K
    kennykGowaS7910
  • Either Tom or Richard made an 8" 2-way with one some years ago.
  • I used it with the MCM 55-2669. Was going to use it with the big Tang Band 5" but gave up after the third wildly different woofer showed up. Scrapped that project.
    I have a signature.
  • Wolf said:
    Either Tom or Richard made an 8" 2-way with one some years ago.
    Yep - that was me! Those speakers were somewhat flawed from a technical standpoint. But they still did sound pretty good, thanks mostly to those tweeters.

I think Craig has a real winner with this design. It's the best of the Peerless low cost/high performing drivers!
  • How did these turn out?
  • edited August 2019
    Really nice.  They rock.  I wouldn't hesitate to bring them to any DIY event.  The bass is "punchy"???  Probably because they are sealed with a Qtc of around 1.0.

They are still raw MDF.  One of these days my son and I will tear them apart and paint them (he wants blue).
  • Awesome, I love the old school size/shape
  • Is that a 12" Peerless SLS Driver? If so, nice upgrade indeed! How do you like them relative to other woofers you've worked with?
  • It's the SLS 10" 830668.  

It's the only sealed box woofer I've done.  They definitely sound different than my ported Peerless 830869's or my ported NE225W-04's.  I like them.  Great bang for the buck.
    rjj45BrannigansLaw
  • Anyone else having PE Mods delete their posts over at TT?
    rjj45kennyk