Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• @dcibel said:
    I call the TG9 (or TC9) the poor mans Scan 10F. If you're referring to the Integrity build, TG9 would be very comfortable in that application. Looking at the midrange "problem" shown in the ASR review, it looks a lot like early cabinet reflection to me, but could be a driver cone-edge issue as well, though the manufacturer data doesn't show any issue there.

Yeah, I've heard that about the little TGs and TCs - I've got a strange and possible unique opinion of them, I jumped on the TC9 wagon some years ago, and pretty much liked them full range near field on my desk. Tried later to use them as mids in a 3 way, and got frustrated - they sounded great on much source material, but terrible on some other - couldn't ever figure out the problem, it wasn't FR or HD, after about 6 weeks of fooling around, pulled them out and dropped in a pair of Peerless HDS 4 inch mids, and the SQ was instantly better IMHO.
    Found a voice-coil test for the Wavecor -01 driver, and the high HD has scared me off from that one.
    I may try the TG9s for nearfield use. IIRC, some say that they are a step up from the TC9s.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I'm currently working on a design using the TC9 as a midrange in a budget system. I listened to the TC9 and TG9 side by side before choosing the TC9. When you listen to them with no crossover at all the TG9 sounds better because the cone breakup is well damped compared to the TC9. but for midrange use up to 4kHz the TC9 sounds more dynamic and natural. Both are very good drivers and definite leaders in the best bang for the buck. What would be totally awesome would be if Dayton Audio made a dedicated midrange version of the RS100P which is also a very good driver. It could be so much better as a midrange if the coil length was shortened for an X-max of 2.6mm like the TC9/TG9. The reduced weight would increase the sensitivity, lower the Qts and lower the VC inductance and the non-linear distortion would be better. It would be the middle class mans Scan 10F. But it seems that the RD people at Dayton audio are laser focused on developing huge subwoofers with generous profit margins.

rjj45PWRRYDBillet
  • edited November 2020

@ani_101 said:
    Anybody got a link to the review? I getting off tracked in my search. Is it the review of the driver or the whole speaker?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/selah-integrity-diy-speaker-kit-review.15695/

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • It's a review of the Selah Integrity speaker

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Thanks for link, what jumps out is the mid distortion and the FR blip at 1.7khz.

Is distortion the main issue or the dip at 1.7 or both? What needs to be addressed to resolve? If we are looking to substitute the mid, look for the distortion to lower? Go two way cross at 1800?

Invidual driver responses through xo would be helpful.

• Yeah, the only real problem is centered on 1.7K!
    Also notice how the polar heat diagram shows a little problem there, and the CSD shows a bit of a resonance there.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Anyone heard that phenolic ring cone tweeter on sale right now? I had a pair of Marantz speakers that used a similar tweeter years ago, and I remember them sounding pretty good. Considering a nostalgic project.

• edited November 2020

I'm almost certainly gonna be rocking a pair of those phenolic tweeters, it is too good of a deal to pass up. I've become a big fan of cone tweeters lately, the larger cone area seems to help a lot on the tweeters low end response.

Many years ago, I had a pair of Ohm E's with the original phenolic ring tweeter, they sounded great!

DanP
  • IIRC Eric L. 3nd place? 2013 the under $200 at MWAF with that tweeter. My notes said it was average

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @jhollander said:
    IIRC Eric L. 3nd place? 2013 the under $200 at MWAF with that tweeter. My notes said it was average

Was that the big 8" or 10" two-way? Average is about what I was hoping for. Just didn't want to be surprised with something unlistenable.

• Maybe green I don't recall. Yes it was a big 8 or 10 inch 2-way.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Use code TURKEY10 for 10% off everything at PE.

Ron

• Meniscus has free shipping now through cyber monday.

• Peerless 830874 (6.5" HDS w/PPB cone) is US$25 for Black Friday at PE. 50% off.
    https://www.parts-express.com/peerless-by-tymphany-830874-6-1-2-ppb-cone-hds-woofer--264-1090

• @Tom_S link doesn't seem to work. can open madisound, but not this link

• edited November 2020

Delete the https:// - that works for me.

• Fixed the link in the post, figured you wouldn't mind :)

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • DX25BG60-04 with the hds 830874 would be a killer combo for not too much money. I keep reminding myself of how many great drivers I already own...

• Anyone ever used the Fostex FT48D? One pair left on clearance at Meniscus...

• @kenrhodes said:
    DX25BG60-04 with the hds 830874 would be a killer combo for not too much money. I keep reminding myself of how many great drivers I already own...

I think a lot of us are in the same boat. I have enough top shelf drivers to build 3 or 4 really great speakers. Yet as a DIYer I'm still drawn towards high value (lower cost) drivers.

• If I lack anything its good tweeters. I never find them as exciting to buy.

• @e6zion said:
    Anyone ever used the Fostex FT48D? One pair left on clearance at Meniscus...

Is that the Magnesium AlNiCo monster? I've never heard a pair but have always wanted to.

If it's the 33mm dome, I've not heard it either, but have always been curious...

• @PWRRYD said:

I think a lot of us are in the same boat. I have enough top shelf drivers to build 3 or 4 really great speakers. Yet as a DIYer I'm still drawn towards high value (lower cost) drivers.

I was tempted - but I made a promise to myself not to buy any more drivers until I complete a few more projects. I'm out of space on the shelf. I also need to start giving some speakers away so I have room in the man-cave for new builds.

• @e6zion said:
    Anyone ever used the Fostex FT48D? One pair left on clearance at Meniscus...

They better be amazing for that price tag. I think there's a reason you don't see these as a popular DIY option, it doesn't look like great value. It's a large dome 33mm version of the FT28D.

jr@mac
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Yeah, it may have been close to sota 30 years ago, but the industry largely left Fostex behind many, many years ago.

I have a signature.
  • edited November 2020

I hope I'm on the right thread.
    Peerless DX25BG60-04 has an fs of 415 Hz. How low can this tweeter cross realistically?
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/soft-dome-tweeters-vifa/peerless-dx25bg60-04-1-textile-dome-tweeter-w/double-magnet/

• It will rock 1500 all day, maybe even lower.

Gowa
    I have a signature.