Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• Thanks for the heads up Ron. I ordered a pair too.

• Is it typical for Newark to be r e a l l y s l o w with their shipping? I ordered a pair of MCM 55-5670 woofers on a different deal a little over a month ago and it took 3 weeks to get the in stock items. Hope you guys have better luck.

• I got a UPS tracking number yesterday.

• @Ron_E said:
    I got a UPS tracking number yesterday.

Hmmm, I'm not sure I would have EVER gotten them if I hadn't inquired. And of course they hit me up with satisfaction surveys for the next 2-3 weeks.

• I ordered mine yesterday and received my tracking number today.

Turn2
  • I used the GRS-3 driver in 2015 for a tiny tower using 8 of them per side.
    (12 per side would have been better)
    Sounded pretty good full range, and better with a BC25 tweeter and a cap inline to high pass the woofers around 150Hz

The 4 inchers should give much better bass.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • 835025? Is this the one you used JR and couldn't stand? Maybe as the woofer in a small 3 way? The DOTD price is certainly attractive.

• I used the 4" aluminum and did not like it at all. The poly 4" is great.

I have a signature.
  • 830855 is great too! Those do things in a 4" size that they shouldn't be able to.

• @PWRRYD said:
    835025? Is this the one you used JR and couldn't stand? Maybe as the woofer in a small 3 way? The DOTD price is certainly attractive.

Now that PE is doing free shipping over $49, it's hard not to order a pair. I don't ever remember hearing these though...

• I used the Peerless HDS 835023 aluminum cone 4 inch as a mid in a 3 way and LOVED it. Recently played that design side by side with my current 3 way with a Morel CAM558 dome, and it didn't give up anything, and had better dynamics.
    If I needed any more 6 1/2 inch woofers, this would be a strong buy. Don't know about the bass though.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • The 5.25" aluminum I've only heard maybe once. It was paired with a cone-guided full-range driver by Shawn_K and he posts here and at PE.

• I listen to the 835023 as my desktop monitor and still enjoy them

rjj45
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I love the Peerless 835025 drivers, I used them in the DCT-1 speakers I brought to MWAF in 2016 (won in the under $200 category), You can check out the speakers at PE's project gallery. I ordered a pair when they were on sale for 50% off and I'm working on a 3-way design with them now. Very low distortion from bass to the lower midrange and deep bass in 19 liter enclosure. I might have to order some more.

rjj45
  • edited November 2020

All I had to do was take a look at my driver shelves and it guilted me out of buying a pair or two of these woofers.

Not saying these are not great drivers or the price is bad... I just see several pairs of Rival woofers, a pair of Usher 8945A, and a pair of HiVi F6's and say "I have a lot to work with here" :)

rjj45
  • @PWRRYD said:
    All I had to do was take a look at my driver shelves and it guilted me out of buying a pair or two of these woofers.

Not saying these are not great drivers or the price is bad... I just see several pairs of Rival woofers, a pair of Usher 8945A, and a pair of HiVi F6's and say "I have a lot to work with here" :)

What are your plans with the HiVi F6 Craig?

• Large BR stand mount 2 way paired with the Wavecor TW030WA08.

Nicholas_23
  • Fountek NeoCD 3.5H is on a flash sale for $50.
    What's the consensus? 3rd order distortion is higher than I'd prefer, but crossover < 3.5K looks ok.
    https://www.parts-express.com/fountek-neocd35h-horn-loaded-ribbon-tweeter--296-703

• I like its little brother, the NeoCD1.0 which I have crossed ~4k.

Anyone notice that PE changed its free shipping back to orders > $99? I was kind of eye spying those Peerless 160F25PR01-08 (qty 4) then notice no free shipping on > $49. That made up my mind :/

• edited November 2020

@rjj45 said:
    Fountek NeoCD 3.5H is on a flash sale for $50.
    What's the consensus? 3rd order distortion is higher than I'd prefer, but crossover < 3.5K looks ok.
    https://www.parts-express.com/fountek-neocd35h-horn-loaded-ribbon-tweeter--296-703

Yeah - keep the crossover high and it should work well, a good pair for a 4-5" midrange. It has some natural rising response in the top end that I'd probably leave in there to compensate for lack of vertical directivity.

IIRC correctly there used to be a Peavy branded model of this tweeter that were previously sold on clearance for $50 as well.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • The Peavy was based off the 3.0

• The Peerless Tymphany NE225W-08 are on sale for $100 too. I used them in the Cherry Pi's.

https://parts-express.com/peerless-by-tymphany-ne225w-08-8-subwoofer-speaker--264-1138

Ron

• In Parts Express' Flash Sale today, half price:

https://www.parts-express.com/peerless-by-tymphany-sds-160f25pr01-08-6-1-2-paper-cone-woofer-speaker--264-1146

Sounds the same as the 830657 as far as I could tell but has almost twice the Xmax and there are several projects already around. If it weren't for the shipping to Oz, I'd get another pair!

Geoff

• @GeoffMillar said:
    In Parts Express' Flash Sale today, half price:

https://www.parts-express.com/peerless-by-tymphany-sds-160f25pr01-08-6-1-2-paper-cone-woofer-speaker--264-1146

Sounds the same as the 830657 as far as I could tell but has almost twice the Xmax and there are several projects already around. If it weren't for the shipping to Oz, I'd get another pair!

Geoff

In the cart Geoff.

Wish I had the coin for a quad of ne225w. Yum.

• Sweet deadline deal this weekend...

I have a signature.
  • What? Don't see any flash sale banner on PE

• Another LED light Ani.

ani_101
  • Not PE, but just a heads up the beast DX25BG60-04 is only $24 at Madisound right now. Seems like a killer deal.

rjj45