Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• edited October 2020

Nice 3-way combo with any decent tweeter of your choice ;)

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • @Kornbread said:
    HiVi LK8A 8" Sandwich Cone Woofer $99, the DMA are on sale, Wavecor tw030wa01 $25, TB coax $115, w4 $35

That tw030wa01 deal is outstanding! Not like I need more tweeters on my shelf, though.
    When I think of the kind of tweeters you could get in 2000 for $25, we have come a long way in value / quality.

jr@mac
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Hey that Wavecor tweeter looks like an easy retrofit on the Maggies build. Nice. I never really liked the MCM tweeter I used in it. For that matter, the 3" KB mid I used was not exactly awe inspiring, either. I am replacing the KB mid with a Aliexpress unit with aluminum cone and a very strong neo motor. This tweeter should be the icing on the cake. The woofer will remain the excellent 6.5" KB.

I have a signature.
  • @rjj45 said:

@Kornbread said:
    HiVi LK8A 8" Sandwich Cone Woofer $99, the DMA are on sale, Wavecor tw030wa01 $25, TB coax $115, w4 $35

That tw030wa01 deal is outstanding! Not like I need more tweeters on my shelf, though.
    When I think of the kind of tweeters you could get in 2000 for $25, we have come a long way in value / quality.

Not just tweeters, that 8" HiVi at $100 is quite a bit more driver than was generally available 20 years ago for that money. Drivers in general are becoming pretty nice.

rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • Did anyone ever buy one of those HiVi 8" woofers and confirm the T/S?

• Some interesting deals for sure, even a few flashlights for Craig. PE seems pretty desperate to get rid of those DMA drivers... The Wavecor tweeter looks interesting at $25, less so at the regular $75. Solen has them on sale, too, so they apparently weren't that compelling at retail price.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Yeah, I am starting to think Wavecor should have taken a page from SB playbook. SB really doesn't bring anything to the table, dollar for dollar, that Wavecor doesn't - except for the way they positioned themselves. I like to think things would have been different for Wavecor if they had done a little more marketing than "designed by former Vifa engineers".

DanP
    I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    Yeah, I am starting to think Wavecor should have taken a page from SB playbook. SB really doesn't bring anything to the table, dollar for dollar, that Wavecor doesn't - except for the way they positioned themselves. I like to think things would have been different for Wavecor if they had done a little more marketing than "designed by former Vifa engineers".

Yeah, pretty much agree, but I've always been dismayed at the sheer number of Wavecor models that only very slightly differ. re: the TW030 - PE shows 10 versions!. SB has like standard fabric, the Satori, and a BE for a particular tweeter size. Looks like Wavecor was really tooled up for the OEM market, but didn't get much penetration.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Someone described the Wavecor tweeters as very good, maybe just a tad less detailed than the CSS LD. Having heard the CSS LD, I'm a big fan, and can't resist a solid bargain on a great driver. Pulled the cord for a quad of the TW030wa-01 babies.

• I'm sure those tweeters are quality. What little I could find for measurement info looked less than ideal. Taming any response can get costly quick. Would it be better to just spend $35-40 on a tweeter with a better response? These are tempting just not sure I need more drivers on my shelf.

• What particularly concerns you?

I have a signature.
  • I can't speak for Ken, but what would concern me would be the 3 dB rise from 5.5 kHz to 6.5 kHz and the fact that it is non ferrofluid and has an Fs over 1 kHz means it probably won't cross extremely low. Once all of those things are considered, is it really better than something like the $33 SB26STCN? Maybe it is, but on paper it doesn't seem that way.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • What Scott said. I did not notice the non Ferro fluid. I think I'll pass on this one.

• Where did you find the measurements at?

• @ScottS said:
    Once all of those things are considered, is it really better than something like the $33 SB26STCN? Maybe it is, but on paper it doesn't seem that way.

Man I love the SB26STCN! Used them in my Jonquils project.

• edited October 2020

I like wavecore, if only they could standardize the line and pricing and not make everything go NLA. Well my stock in particular is going NLA and I have a few...

• I like the Wavecor tweeters that they call "chambered" (i.e. have a sizeable rear cavity). For example, the TW030WA05, 6, 7 and 8. All of these have an Fs around 450 Hz which makes handling the Fs impedance hump easier. You can get them w/o ferrofluid (the 5 and 7) or with ferrofluid (the 6 and 8), but the impedance hump difference is only a few ohms.

I'll definitely be in if the chambered, waveguide versions (the 11 and 12) ever go on the chopping block.

• I'd be surprised if the WA11 and WA12 get cut from the lineup, they're the flagship tweeters from Wavecor, and excellent performers.

In my view, the top end Wavecor products offer excellent performance at a reasonable price, while their low end products are overpriced for what you get, at least on this side of the world.

• Dayton Audio RS52FN-8 2" Reference Fabric Dome Midrange 8 Ohm $35. The freq response looks flat as a pancake.

• How good is it? Anyone tied it or heard it. The old alu was a mixed bag

• Both the FN and AN are now not meeting the flatness FR specification. See here:
    (Start at post 323)
    http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?33490-Driver-Evaluations-for-a-new-project/page10

BrannigansLaw
  • That's too bad, and is unfortunately one of the reasons Dayton is generally not highly regarded in many circles.

The RS52 has everything it needs on paper, but perhaps with a possible recent change in vendor (I think the original was made by Peerless of India which appears to be defunct) soft parts may have changed.

I have a signature.
  • Yes- they were PoI products.

• edited October 2020

Inadequately damped chamber. Should be caught by QC checks if Dayton ever did any. For all we know this sale is just an attempt to quietly offload a subpar batch of product.

ani_101rjj45
  • P.E. would never do that... :#

• I have an older pair of the alu, bought maybe 4-5 years ago... Don't know if it is worth the effort of putting it in a box, compared to the many others waiting their turn....

• I just ordered a pair of MCM 55-5670 woofers. Newark has a 15% off voucher for the week. Autumn15.

https://newark.com/mcm-audio-select/55-5670/8-die-cast-woofer-8-ohm-rubbber/dp/95Y2936?ost=MCM+55-5670&cfm=true

Ron

rjj45