Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• I dumped my landline in 2012 due to the cost, but have often wished that I could get it back again. I really miss the superior audio quality. With cell phones, one of the biggest problems is the lack of partial voice feedback from microphone to speaker as you talk. I want to be able to hear my own voice through the headset. So, last year, I picked up a Turtle Beach Recon 200 (Gen 2) powered gaming headset and I now plug this thing into my cell for all my calls. It has a built in battery powered amplifier that feeds back a small percentage of my own voice into the speakers as I am talking, making it sound much more like a traditional landline. But it is a hassle to use and still does not make my cell sound as good as my old landline. And neither the cell phone or the headset can be plugged in and charging during a call, because the 5 volt chargers send a switching type buzz into the headset speakers.

• I have a backup generator which does a lot more than provide me phone access.

MartyHhifisideSteve_Lee
  • I ditched my land line about 10 years ago and installed an Ooma VOIP phone. Kept the same number that I'd had for 20 years prior. Every once in a while it comes in handy. Sound quality is really very good.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • After the last 5 years of spam/ scam/ political calls we ditched the voip/ land line. We had the same number for 30+ years. No regrets, wish I'd done it sooner. Now if I could just dump the cable TV. The wife likes the one remote and the sport channels. ;)

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I don't need cable, never have i ever had or paid for it.

• I refuse to pay for TV as well.

• edited February 2023

I have a cell phone and internet service and that's it - been this way for 10+ years - I don't miss any of it especially the robo-calls 7 times a day nor the exorbitant bills for TV that I never watched.
    Losing a wife to menopause, cancer & divorce reduced most of my unnecessary expenses and stress levels as well.

Now I just stare out the window across the field and at the forest a lot while observing the clouds, turkeys, deer and the cat chasing squirrels and wonder why I didn't just get out here sooner.

If it ever stops raining I will go out there and walk my legs-off in the woods.

And play music - lots of music . . .

• ^ wonder why they were returned after all those measurements?

• edited February 2023

Not returned. He keeps them after review and then sells most of his review gear. I've purchased two things from him. Just listing another source for potential deal-buys since parts express seems to have dried up.

Steve_Lee
  • Steve_Lee
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • There are 5 different SB Acoustics buyout woofers at PE. I haven't looked at the details yet, but I think they were OEM drivers.

• Got any specific links to the good stuff?

• Go to Brands "Factory Buyouts".
    There is also TC Sounds 12" sub, Scanspeak and Seas drivers.

• Looks like more Aerial stuff.

I have a signature.
  • How bout that Dynavox LW5004 for $26.26 over at Newark. Two with the Aerial Seas Tweet in a MTM?

https://www.newark.com/dynavox/lw5004pmr-nm01/5-25-pp-mica-woofer-80-watt-6/dp/78Y7663

• Great driver. I am loaded down with midbasses right now or I would buy four of them. There are a few solid designs using it.

I have a signature.
  • @rstillin said:
    How bout that Dynavox LW5004 for $26.26 over at Newark.

Wow, that's quite a deal!

• edited February 2023

Page 7 and one driver on page 8.
    https://www.parts-express.com/brand/Factory-Buyouts?page=7
    https://www.parts-express.com/brand/Factory-Buyouts?page=8
    Yep, Aerial buyouts mostly, Peerless M series mainly, M11, M18, $40-60. TC12" $200.
    SB stuff has bucking magnets applied, and some are OEM usually unavailable to DIY drivers, $35-45.
    Seas H1264 or 27tbfc with dual cutouts for horiz MTM on the face and H1500 or 29ttfc uncut both $45.
    Edit:
    I'll bet ttfc is typo, and it's tffc. This is the aluminum 29mm with rubber oval insert.

Nicholas_23Steve_Lee
  • SB 6.5" aluminum cone at around 50% off - that's really tempting!!

• Thanks for the post Ben. Sigh , pulled the trigger on the NOS M18 vifa's

Billet
  • @Tom_S said:
    SB 6.5" aluminum cone at around 50% off - that's really tempting!!

Yeah, I'm getting 2 of these. Note the SB17NBAC is a 6" and the buyout is a 6.5". I checked the T/S parameters and dimensions and it really is a little different (I wondered if they were really just "badged" differently.)

The other ones I like are the Scanspeak truncated 7" woofers - $15 cheaper than the round, lower Fs and 16 ohms which is pretty rare.

• Some years ago, PE dropped a one day sale on the TC Sounds 8 inch subwoofer, and I built a monster little sub. The 12 inch TC sub is tempting.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • @Nicholas_23 said:
    Thanks for the post Ben. Sigh , pulled the trigger on the NOS M18 vifa's

So they went from 13 in stock to 11 :)

• @PWRRYD said:

@Nicholas_23 said:

So they went from 13 in stock to 11 :)

I know I've seen this asked before, but... Where do you see the in-stock count?

• You can select a number when ordering, and if you go over the number it will say they don't have enough to fill the order.

• I'll put something crazy like 1000 in my shopping cart. When I view my cart it will say X amount in stock and Y amount on back order.

• @Nicholas_23 said:

You should share some pics of your vintage Vifa collection, it is quite impressive. Not as cool as my Radio Shack museum - but what is?

Nicholas_23hifiside
    I have a signature.
  • Speaking of, I still have a pair here for you.

Nicholas_23
    I have a signature.
  • PE has 12% off with code PREZ12 through the 21st.

Ron