Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New Peerless 8" 2 way project

13»

Comments

• I ordered a pair of the da32tx with those woofers I bought and they came today. Those tweeters are impressively massive. They are so much bigger than they look in the pictures. I’m excited to try them.
  • Yes, they're huge!
  • Well yeah, they're 5 1/4" in diameter. Big ol' tweet, yo!
    rjj45

• I swear from just a picture, if you didn't know any better you'd think these were a 5-1/4" midbass and a typical flanged tweeter in maybe a 14L box.  Not 28L eight inch two ways.
    Nicholas_23rjj45hifisideThumperTomkennykS7910JasonPkonfyoused

• Yep, I had to offset the binding posts.
    Nicholas_236thplanetJasonP

• Time to start measurements for the crossover design.
    BrannigansLawdcibelrjj456thplanetThumperTomTurn2jr@macdynamokennykJasonPand 1 other.
  • Did I mention they weigh a ton!  In all seriousness, I'm very happy with how they turned out (looks).  A few very minor flaws but that's what you get sometimes when working with hardwood.  I can't wait to work up a prototype xo and actually hear these woofers and tweeters for the very first time!
    jholtz
  • I think you will like that tweeter.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • That tweeter is huge. 
  • I really like the look of white oak with danish oil. Nice contrast of red oak vs white oak.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • This is really nice work... commercial quality finish. Very curious as to how you like them, I've two pairs of these woofers awaiting a suitable project.
  • rjj45 said:
    I really like the look of white oak with danish oil. Nice contrast of red oak vs white oak.
    +1
  • These woofers are $38 right now.
    I have a signature.
  • See, those offset terminals looks fantastic!  Fabulous job on dem dur speakas!
  • jr@mac said:
    These woofers are $38 right now.
    Wow!  That's a good deal.
  • Wow, these really look great
  • Thanks for the compliments guys!

No pretty graphs to post right now but I just finished measuring all the drivers' impedances.  No surprise, the Peerless QC seems to be as good as expected.  The driver impedance curves laid almost perfectly on top of each other.  The woofers were dead nuts the same.  The tweeters were barely 0.25 ohms different.

I missed the port tuning frequency by about 2 Hz (measured lower than sim'd).  I think I can live with that :)
    rjj45Silver1omo
  • I finished the measurements Saturday morning and just finished a nice prototype crossover design.  I love working with well behaved drivers like these.  While I didn't end up with a super simple 5 component crossover, I did end up with what I think should sound very good right out of the gate. 3rd order electrical with a couple padding resistors on the tweeter.  Damped 2nd order electrical with a notch on the woofer.  There ended up being a pretty large Z-offset between these two drivers.  I had to order a few components so I won't be listening to these for a few more days.
  • Those do look very nice.  Good work.
    dynamo
  • Got my first listen in this morning at a fairly low level (kids still sleeping upstairs).  Woofers seem smooth.  I really like what I heard from these new tweeters.  I'll have to crank it up a bit and hear how they sound with such a low crossover point.
    kennyk
  • Ok these tweeters clearly pass the test  <3. Listening to Iowa demo tracks at +90 dB.  The 1250 Hz LR4 crossover point is absolutely no problem for these beasts!!!  No harshness or perceivable distortion.  The bells/whistles on one track are just spectacular.  Brushes on a snare drum are so real.  I need to work on the crossover a bit though.  The overall balance is a tad bass heavy.  Easy enough to fix that.  I also really like these Peerless 8 inch woofers.  Their bass response is much better than the Unibox model suggested.  They are on sale...  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair.
    JasonPkennykThumperTom
  • PWRRYD said:
    I also really like these Peerless 8 inch woofers.  Their bass response is much better than the Unibox model suggested.  They are on sale...  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair.
    Comparo RS225 or RS225P? more likey?
  • I have only used and have extensive listening time with the RS225-8.  It was in my Agendas project.  That was a tall enclosure MLTL alignment that Paul K designed for me.  I really didn't care for the bass in that project at all.  I can't really say it was the RS225-8 driver's fault.  Love them or not, Paul's MLTLs all sound about the same to me.  YMMV
  • Craig, how was the midbass in these?  Not so worried about extension but looking to get closer to a cinema sound.  Ironically, as you made your comparison between the rs225, thats what I'll be leaving...