Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Interesting New Tymphany Drivers

edited May 2018 in Commercial
Here are some links to yet unavailable drivers showing on the Tymphany site. No idea if they will come to DIY, but I hope so!
I really like the new 8 ohm OX20 above, as it seems they raised the impedance without any loss in sensitivity.

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."

Comments

• 32 mm tweeter would be fun
    JasonPGowa
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Wow and if that DA32XT comes out to that spec, it'll be a beast: 4.5mm gap height with a 2.5mm long voice coil. Talk about underhung.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • How low in freq. do you think you could you push the xover on the 32mm?
  • 4thtry said:
    How low in freq. do you think you could you push the xover on the 32mm?
    That is a tough question. I mean, we'd need measurements to see the linear movement of the tweeter diaphragm below 2000 hz. Optimally I'd like to think a tweeter with these specs could be pushed to 1400 or even 1200 hz, but without any idea of linearity of suspension, BL, etc, we dont' know.
  • Might be able to do 1,000 with no horn, depending on how hard you pushed it.  LR2s at 1,500 would be my first try.  I've got the Wavecor TW30 I'll be playing with later this summer
  • Turn2dcibelNicholas_234thtrykennyk
  • edited May 2018
    That is the coolest looking motor heat sink.  They move ahead of the RST on my to buy list
    JasonPrjj454thtrykennyk
  • They also mention the grill can be removed for best operation, which means there is no phase shield.
    Nicholas_234thtrykenrhodes
  • Guess it's time to go shopping lol. Oh my poor wallet!
    Nicholas_234thtry
  • Guess it's time to go shopping lol. Oh my poor wallet!
    Dont you have a water heater and such to buy ?  ;)
    rjj45isaeagle40314thtry
  • That is the coolest looking motor heat sink.  They move ahead of the RST on my to buy list

I wonder how they engineered the sink into the motor ? 
  • Do you think the sink is just bonded to the back of the tweeter? Or is it integrated internally ? 
  • Yes, just bonded to the back imo.  Seems like a lot of cost to make a finned chamber with electrical connections.  How about this tweeter paired with a Dnyavox woofer in a clear plastic enclosure?
    4thtry
  • That heatsink is really just for show the way it's been mounted, and also fairly redundant in a tweeter with a ferrite motor. The banana plugs are a nice touch, however.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Droooooolllllll.......

Eugen himself called it a TLabs knockoff on the NedLab website.

• Nicholas_23 said:hi
    Guess it's time to go shopping lol. Oh my poor wallet!
    Dont you have a water heater and such to buy ?  ;)
    Shhhhhh!
  •  jhollander said:
    Yes, just bonded to the back imo.  Seems like a lot of cost to make a finned chamber with electrical connections.  How about this tweeter paired with a Dnyavox woofer in a clear plastic enclosure?

And then you could name the finished speaker The conundrum  :p 

(Sorry, couldn't help myself, John) 

jhollanderJasonPkennyk
  • Wolf said:

Droooooolllllll.......

Eugen himself called it a TLabs knockoff on the NedLab website.

He did, did he? I am sure he is an objective observer lmfao
    I have a signature.
  • No offense to the Eugene fanboys, but seriously - lmmfao
    I have a signature.
  • I hope the world of high end treble will recover from tl labs folding... *Snicker*
    I have a signature.
  • *apologies in advance for this next comment* 

It makes me wonder if the world would survive Hiquphon going out of business...

...yep. 
    I have a signature.
  • Seriously though - one thing three + decades in this hobby has taught me: beware the boutique bandits. TL Labs and Hiquphon fall in there, somewhere. To a slightly lesser extent, that dude down south with the GR thing also. How many others? 
    I have a signature.
  • Do you have something against TLabs and Hiq? Hiq aside- you have to acknowledge that TLabs were one of the best measuring tweeters on the market. There just was not anything that came close for the price. Were they boutique? I suppose. But I really do believe DIY and commercial are worse off without them around. You seem to have disdain/bitterness for anyone lamenting/mentioning past available drivers with a sense of nostalgia. I see nothing wrong with it. They were a good product, and discussing them is okay, isn't it? People still discuss vintage Dynaudio drivers, and even older stuff like the Fried-egg tweeter and the LS3/5a. It's fine to have a sense of nostalgia.

Does the world survive(?) is kind of an unrelated query. It's also rhetorical. In the scheme of life does this matter, likely not. It does not mean they didn't leave their mark.

Danny at GR is a bunch of hooey in general- we've known that for years. TLabs was not hooey. I'm not even generally a fan of the Hiq, so YMMV.

All I was saying was I noticed that comment when I was looking at NedLab when Iowa had it as a sponsor last year. Then Geoff had one on FB (I heard). Now- it's in stock! No- Eugen (correct spelling) is likely not an objective observer, so I get your point. I just thought it was an interesting statement. I don't know that I'm a Eugen or Cristian fanboy, but they were both splendid to deal with, very knowledgeable, and worth their salt.

I will likely try the new Peerless ceramic tweeter because I liked the TLabs MgO I have so much. The new RS? I'm not really interested. That's okay too. It doesn't mean I don't still have plans to use the 2 pair of NLA RS28A I have either.

rjj45JasonPjholtz
  • The Hiq was the first tweeter I heard that made me take notice.  I still like it, for a small tweeter but think the LD22 is better and the TW022 is close
    rjj45
  • The LD22 is a marvel at it's cost for its low HD, and its ability to xover lower than any 22mm has a right to. The TW022 does not have a Neo magnet, and it's HD is higher than the LD22.
  • Wolf said:
    The LD22 is a marvel at it's cost for its low HD, and its ability to xover lower than any 22mm has a right to. The TW022 does not have a Neo magnet, and it's HD is higher than the LD22.
    Good to know!  I've been looking for a top quality, medium cost, flat FR, low distortion, small tweeter.
    The LD22 just become the top contender.
    thanks Ben and John.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Not that I have much experience with tweeters, but I like what the LD22 did in the Penguins - the raw measurements had me a bit puzzled, but the final implementation was great (as per me). Plus, I like the small format and lightweight neo.
  • To state more clearly, a neo tweeter will have lower HD than the equivalent ferrite jobby. This is because the neo magnet's inherent usage, shape, and application lend to an inherent 'shorting ring' in the motor structure due to how the neo motors work.

I believe the CSS P215 kit xovers at 1.6k, IIRC, but it also might be 1.8k. It's one of the 2.

The TW022 really is best above 2.5kHz, IMO/IME.

rjj45
  • I've been cherry picking every tweeter i felt sounded above average or stood out in a  good way to me at the various diy and axpona events. Ive liked the hiq and TL offerings. I really like the css ld22 as well. Sb has some good options as well. 
  • D1PP1N said:
    I've been cherry picking every tweeter i felt sounded above average or stood out in a  good way to me at the various diy and axpona events. Ive liked the hiq and TL offerings. I really like the css ld22 as well. Sb has some good options as well. 
    What?  No love for Goldwood or GRS tweeters?   :p
    jhollanderkennyk4thtry