Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• Also not DotD, but anyone know if this is worth anything?  Same price range as Satori MR16p
    https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w6-1914sb-6-sandwich-cone-midrange-driver--264-905
  • I have a pair of the 1914S to utilize. Ani has a set of the 1914SB. I hope it's as good and better than the W4-1798S I have in the Glucinium Amor. Suffice to say- that alumihoneycomb driver arragement has fantastic detail and clarity if you can swing the cost.
  • That TB mid is tempting at that price... I wonder why it's on clearance?
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I don't think the flat honeycombs have sold very well. 
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • They only have about 8 pair left.
  • Just ordered a pair, obviously I'm an idiot. 
    e6zionTurn2
    I have a signature.
  • I paid 180 per on sale, usually 200$, but be careful of TB qualify, had to send back my original pair. At $140, it's a very good deal.
  • I remember your adventure, which is why I am obviously an idiot. Maybe I will get lucky. Probably not. 
    I have a signature.
  • edited October 2019
    Somehow I've been able to restrain myself on this deal.  Going through and actually inventorying all my drivers last night drove home the fact that I don't need any more drivers, no matter how great the deal may be.
    rjj45kennyk
  • I needed no more drivers, either, hence why I am likely an idiot 😆
    kennyk
    I have a signature.
  • Come on guys, I have a few left that need a home 😝
    kennyk
  • PWRRYD said:
    Somehow I've been able to restrain myself on this deal.  Going through and actually inventorying all my drivers last night drove home the fact that I don't need any more drivers, no matter how great the deal may be.
    Blasphemy. 
    jr@mackennykrjj45
  • JR, did your TB's show up yet?
  • Nope.
    I have a signature.
  • xt19td $15 
  • That tweeter is excellent. Copper cap, good dispersion, great above 2500. 
    I have a signature.
  • What are your thoughts on the xt25tg30?
  • It's pretty timeless. I have measured a few variants, my OG pair from Made in Denmark days correlated with Zaph's findings. Very high distortion below 2k. The two pair I measured from a decade later indicated some improvement in something, as in 2012 I crossed at 1900 hz with nary a complaint. In any event, still a pretty sweet tweeter.
    I have a signature.
  • I like the xt25tg30, but they have a bump at 12-15K that bothers me.  I'm just being picky but depending on the baffle I found I wanted to change my voicing.
  • I really like the xt25tg30. I used it with the Dynavox 6.5" last year. Can't remember how low I crossed - I'd have to load up that project to check. Not 1900, but most likely below 2.5K. Didn't John Hollander use them in his Synergy design? 
  • edited October 2019
    Tom, I used them in the Synergy but think there are better options for that design.  Something with a rising response and higher sensitivity would be good.

I'm kind of a fan of the Corundum right now.
  • Always thought the xt25tg should cross lower but after a while my ears thought they sounded harsh when crossed below ~2k.  Could the rising distortion below 2k be why?   

• Maybe, but it's usually higher level frequencies that bother people over extended listening.  Add a mid woofer and flatten a bit more if that's the graph you are listening to (above).
  • Yes- the rising HD is the concern, and is partially initiated by the high Fs magnitude as the XT tweeters (unless you got an OEM version) do not use FF.
  • I wonder if adding ferro fluid would help?  I ended up putting a big notch filter across the XT25.
  • That response is mounted and no crossover.  IIRC, on this build I added a notch around 600hz.  Is that what you guys did?
    Also been wanting to try the xt25bg60.  What's the consensus on that one?    

• I don't have any experience with that version. 
    I have a signature.
  • Santa in brown dropped these off today.  That's 4 of the $15 xt19td. 

jr@macjhollanderPWRRYD
  • That looks great. If they can do that with $15 tweeters, you have to wonder about other manufacturers bragging about matched pair sets. I'll be curious if the response is as consistent between all four.