Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New 2 way with Dayton drivers

I haven't seen anyone using the Dayton paper RS drivers lately.  I used the original RS150P-8 in my Jonquils project and really like it.  So I decided to try the "new and improved" RS150P-8A.  The new cones have some sort of shiny treatment compared to the original matte finish.  I decided to use a pair of NLA RS28AS tweeters off my shelf.  The enclosures have sloped baffles so Z offset between drivers is zero.  The enclosures are 3/4" baltic birch ply, with a couple of braces, and pieces of ceramic tile bonded to the inside walls.  They are very dead enclosures.  Net volume is 9 liters and they are ported out the back.  The interior wall are lined with UltraTouch.  Here are a couple of pictures:

The removable baffles are just 3/4" MDF with nice rebates and 3/4" roundovers on all four sides.  I sealed and sanded them really well then painted them with some rattle can Dupi-color ceramic engine paint (cast coat iron):  

Time for a battery of measurements, then XO design.
6thplanetBrannigansLawGowadcibeldynamojhollanderSilver1omoTurn2ThumperTomNicholas_23and 1 other.

Comments

• Looks good Craig. Can't make out, but are you using two tone paint baffle vs the body?
  • Yes.  Body is black Duratex rolled on with medium texture.
  • Wow- I didn't even know there were 'A' versions of the P's. When did that happen?

I like the look, Criag- almost a gunmetal cast grey.
  • Those look great! I can't believe that's engine paint. It has nice texture without being a textured paint - or is it a very subtle texture? What did you use for a sealer?
  • Thanks guys.  I am extremely happy with how these turned out (visually).  I have high hopes for their sound as well.  They won't have a Roemer approved F3 but should sound good anyway.

I think I remember them changing the cones maybe two or three (?) years ago Ben.  It might have been longer.  It was shortly after Rory got out of town.

The paint on the baffles is smooth, no texture at all.  I has metal in it so it has that look of being raw cast iron (rough).  But it is actually smooth enough I could throw a coat of Mothers car wax on them if I wanted more shine.  I like them how they are now and more importantly my wife does too. 

One thing about that Dupli-Color engine enamel with ceramic...  it stinks to high Heaven when spraying it, so open garage door and window painting only!  I sprayed the top plate of my tube preamp with it last winter with the garage heated.  The stink snuck into the house and I had to open some windows  when it was only in the 20's :#
  • Baffles look great.  That's highly likely to be a winner sound wise too.
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • These look very nice. I really like the finish on the baffle. You don't see as many DIY's building two way monitors with < 100 cm^2 cone area but I think they still are very useful speakers even if they lack the lower F3.
  • Nice job on the paint! Any pictures of the inside braces/tile?
  • Go LR2 Craig!  I've always liked the RS28As ever since hearing them in the Continuums.
  • Yeah I sloped the baffles (time aligned) so I could hopefully go LR2.  I know the drivers' usable passbands should allow it.
  • Does ultratouch come in panels?  All I can find around here comes in 4" batts.  Did you provide for some kind of reinforcement around the baffle mount bolts or is the mdf strong enough?   
  • Home Depot has it in 16" X 48" and 48" X 75" rolls.
  • Not all stock it, mine doesn't. It can be shipped to store.👍🏻
  • Nice job on the paint! Any pictures of the inside braces/tile?
    I didn't take any inside pics.
  • edited June 2020
    Kornbread said:
    Does ultratouch come in panels?  All I can find around here comes in 4" batts.  Did you provide for some kind of reinforcement around the baffle mount bolts or is the mdf strong enough?   
    No reinforcement.  I use the thinest foam weather stripping I can find (1/16" thick sold at Ace Hardware) so I don't have to really crank on the allen head cap screws too much.
  • I measured these speakers yesterday afternoon.  Did a couple quick sims after preparing the files at lunch today.  LR2 looks pretty good.  LR4 looks really good.  My initial test measurements to determine the proper angle of the baffle were spot on.  Using Jeff B's 3 measurement technique and WinPCD the true Z offset was truly zero!  I am gonna run another sim tomorrow to see if my xo topology from the Keramiskas could work.  Similar sized woofer and baffle size, but a significantly lower xo point.  We'll see  B)
  • Are those PE cap head wood screws?  I'm looking for a source.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Comment on the slanted front x-o might want to check vertical off axis. (thanks Eric...)
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • PWRRYD said:
     Using Jeff B's 3 measurement technique and WinPCD the true Z offset was truly zero!  
    What is the three measurement technique?
    How do you measure/sim for the slant without the actual box?
  • Kornbread said:
    Does ultratouch come in panels?  All I can find around here comes in 4" batts.  Did you provide for some kind of reinforcement around the baffle mount bolts or is the mdf strong enough?   
    I've been ordering these from Home Depot and having them shipped to the house.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lumber-Composites-Boards-Planks-Panels-Wall-Paneling-Acoustic-Wall-Paneling-Sound-Absorbing-Panels/N-5yc1vZ1z18goeZ12l0?NCNI-5&storeSelection=2104,2103,2115,2107,2101

These rolls are a couple of inches thick.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTouch-R-6-7-Denim-Insulation-Roll-16-in-x-48-in-6-Pack-60306-16482/202710055

These products can be cut with a good scissors and I use double stick carpet tape to fasten it to the sides of the cabinets.

Ron

ani_101
  • I use the ultratoutch often, when I need it thinner I rip it down the middle. Works great and Menards stocks it at good prices. One roll will last a LONG time.
  • All I find locally are 4" thick batts and they are super hard to cut so I just try and rip it down the middle.  $.10 worth of staples, like you use to install insulation to studs, and it's there.  Makes for some fugly looking padding but I guess it works just the same and no one will ever see it.  Feels like I'm cheaping out putting all that work into making the thing look pretty on the outside while it looks like a rat's nest inside.          
  • always liked the look of a baffle filled with drivers 
    ohitsuTodd
  • always liked the look of a baffle filled with drivers 
    Me too Nick!  I think it looks a bit off when there is a 5" midbass mounted in a 15+ liter enclosure.  However, this particular design with its small baffle is going to require a few extra XO parts to deal with the diffraction effects.  No biggy.
    jr@mac
  • Nick and I share a few let design philosophies - why we are tiiiiiizzzzzight!
    I have a signature.
  • What does the step response look like on a time aligned speaker?  Asking because when playing around with the minidsp and using delay corresponding to the distance the drivers are offset, the step response, well, it's just not what I thought it would be.  The tweeter shoots straight up and the woofer takes longer to get it up.  Then they kind of fight with each other.      
  • Give the woofer some sildenafil...
    I have a signature.
  • Mama ain't gonna let me waste that on a woofer.
    jr@mac
  • I'm so pissed.  I paid PE an extra $8.99 to ship my xo parts UPS so that I would have them today.  I checked UPS tracking this morning and now they are saying my package will be rescheduled due to "Civil Demonstrations" disrupting their business.
  • edited June 2020
    i had the same thing happen -  my shipment got delayed by over a week and the package was completely smashed.... PE is still trying to get out a undamaged piece to me…. supposed to come today, let's see what turns up or when

It seems to be stuck somewhere in IL. Not sure if there are still disruptions or not, Minneapolis seems to be calm the last few days.