Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

HiVi DIY 3.1 Revisited

2»

Comments

• I just ordered all the parts for the perfectionist build. Should I wire the woofer in reverse polarity like it is in the diagram?
  • No, wire it in standard polarity (opposite of what the diagram says).  I apparently wired the woofer backwards when I measured it.  I discovered and explained it in the third post when I was simulating the original crossover.
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Hello there. I just finish my Hivi's. This is my first DIY speakers and I'm really loving it. But I'm hearing a distortion/noise in one of the midranges. I've looked around online for a new HiVi DMN-B to substitute the one with the distortion without any luck. Does anyone know where can I find one? I really want to try the Perfecfectionist crossover, but I think I should fix the Midrange issue first. Thanks in advance.

• Sorry to hear about the midrange.
    A few things you should check before replacing the driver:
    Does the static resistance match or is it close to OE spec/the good sounding driver?
    Have you verified that all of the crossover components are in the correct location, the connections are good, and match their rating?
    Disconnect the tweeters and woofers and only listen to the mid range drivers to verify that it is only the mid that sounds bad.
    Contact HiVi through Amazon to see if there is any warranty that they can offer or if they have drivers available.

If you live close to someone with DATS or want to make a LIMP jig you could do some more testing of the speaker to verify the failure.

• And you could try swapping the DMN-8 drivers to isolate the problem.

• @Ed_Perkins said:
    And you could try swapping the DMN-8 drivers to isolate the problem.

Exactly. Make sure the problem isn't just a bad solder connection or something first. Swapping midrange drivers would be my step one.

• Thank you for your support. I follow your recommendations and was able to double-check and isolate the issue to be the midrange for sure. I was curious if you guys think that HiVi DMN-A would work as a replacement for HiVi DMN-B as Scotts said: "Physically the only difference I can readily observe is a 4 screw flange vs. 6 screws for the DMN-A. 6 screws would have limited the overlap between the mid and tweeter flange, so maybe that is the reason. The frequency response is very similar to what I measured for the DMN-A with minor differences likely due to cabinet geometries" Thanks for the help. I'll keep you posted if I find a fix. I'm already putting together the perfectionist option. I'm really looking forward to listening to the sound of this crossover.

• @longjoetm said:
    Thank you for your support. I follow your recommendations and was able to double-check and isolate the issue to be the midrange for sure. I was curious if you guys think that HiVi DMN-A would work as a replacement for HiVi DMN-B as Scotts said: "Physically the only difference I can readily observe is a 4 screw flange vs. 6 screws for the DMN-A. 6 screws would have limited the overlap between the mid and tweeter flange, so maybe that is the reason. The frequency response is very similar to what I measured for the DMN-A with minor differences likely due to cabinet geometries" Thanks for the help. I'll keep you posted if I find a fix. I'm already putting together the perfectionist option. I'm really looking forward to listening to the sound of this crossover.

Has the return period expired?

• If the midrange is defective, I would definitely look into warranty replacement if you are still within that period. If not, or if the logistics of getting a replacment DMN-B don't make sense, I do think the DMN-A is a viable option. You might have to leave out one mounting screw, but it's a midrange and there are 6...

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • I would personally consider replacing both DMN-Bs so you still have a matched pair of speakers. Stereo is an illusion and it doesn't take much of a difference in speaker response to nullify the illusion. In any case, you could purchase two and return the 2nd one if you don't think it makes a difference.

JasonP
  • Has the return period expired?

Yeap.

• Thank you all for your help. I'll try replacing both DMN-Bs and report back the results.