Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

The Nicholas Challenge

Only four weeks to go!

Viawave GRT-145 and Tang Band W5-2143 that will sit on top of my MCM 55-5670 8" bass bins.

ani_1016thplanetR-Carpentertajanesjr@macjhollanderNicholas_23GowaDanPsquamishdrocand 7 others.
ยซ134

Comments

• Those are some nice driver choices

• Pretty awesome! I really like the higher end TB drivers.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Extra nice. Need some fancy finish on those.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • The boxes are some more of that curly maple veneered boards I got for free from my neighbor. The same curly maple the bass bins are made of, so I'm good there. Just need to figure out a cool spray on finish for the removable baffles (something other than Duratex).

e6zion
  • These enclosures will also receive my tried and true application of ceramic floor tile bonded to the inside surfaces.

• Looking good! It's getting a little cold to cutting wood in the driveway. That's an interesting TB driver!

• Because it's different and just a baffle I'd follow Brads video, pick a color then finish it with the 2K spray max clear.

• Looks good. I'm interested to hear that TB driver - should be a good match for the ribbon.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • That could be an interesting side by side at the next diy, the TB vs Motus.

ScottS6thplanetSilver1omorjj45
    I have a signature.
  • The TB will be a dedicated mid in a 3 way. Your Motus is a 2 way.

• I'll throw them on top of some bass makers.

6thplanetrjj45
    I have a signature.
  • There ya go!

• @jr@mac said:
    I'll throw them on top of some bass makers.

Can I be the bass maker? ๐Ÿ˜›

Wolfkenrhodes
  • @6thplanet said:

@jr@mac said:
    I'll throw them on top of some bass makers.

Can I be the bass maker? ๐Ÿ˜›

IDK, depends.... would it be slap, snap, fusion, progression bass?
    Something totally rockin like Steve Harris?
    Or some dumb dumb 3 note bass like JP or AC/DC?
    :pensive:
    Or how about something poppy like John Taylor from Duran Duran?

• More Iron Maiden please...

• Leland Sklar! His beard is as epic as his playing.

R-Carpenter
  • How about we start with a little Geddy, get wild with Claypool, ramp it up into Cliff Burton, and gallop to the end with Harris๐Ÿค˜๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ˜ˆ๐Ÿค˜๐Ÿผ

• Dang, just realized we can't upload vids here.

• No Timmy C?

• I did forget Geezer, but who's Timmy C?

• Timothy Robert Commerford (born February 26, 1968) is an American musician, best known as the bassist and backing vocalist for the American rock band Rage Against the Machine (1991โ€“2000; 2007โ€“2011; 2019-present) and supergroups Audioslave (2001โ€“2007; 2017) and Prophets of Rage (2016โ€“2019)

• I pictured you as more of a Lawrence Welk fan :p

6thplanet
  • edited December 2020

@PWRRYD said:
    I pictured you as more of a Lawrence Welk fan :p

https://media.giphy.com/media/ZqlvCTNHpqrio/giphy.gif

• Dug Pinnick, John Myung, Flea, Mark Miller, Jaco Pastorius, Victor Wooten; many great bassists out there!

I never figured John for a Welk fan, but I never figured him for a Rage fan either...

• Just givin JH a little undeserved ribbin. Although I can guess with great confidence that TL Paul is a Welk Fan. "Here's a magical little number I'm sure you will love. And a one and a two..."

jr@macjhollanderrjj45Nicholas_23
  • edited December 2020

I can get down with some LW , thank my grandparents for that. I use to catch the reruns on PBS. Im an old soul

• Never got into LW. Not much into the big band sound. I do like some Jazz like Dave Brubeck or some Medeski Martin and Wood (add Scofield).

I like lots of stuff mostly funk, like Galactic (Rob Mercurio). Some old school Larry and Bootsy if not to disco. Right now listening to Brownout, Speedometer, and Mr President (try to find that)

• Ahhh, RATM, dig, definite fan, just didn't know his name. Big Mel Schacher fan of Grand Funk Railroad, as well as Chuck Rainy and Tom Barney of Steely Dan, with Becker doing the earliest stuff. Honorable mention to Stu Hamm and David Ellefson. Victor Wooten will always be king๐Ÿค˜๐Ÿผ

• @jhollander said:
    Never got into LW. Not much into the big band sound. I do like some Jazz like Dave Brubeck or some Medeski Martin and Wood (add Scofield).

I like lots of stuff mostly funk, like Galactic (Rob Mercurio). Some old school Larry and Bootsy if not to disco. Right now listening to Brownout, Speedometer, and Mr President (try to find that)

Probably shouldn't admit this, but I have at least one Lawrence Welk and quite a few other big bands on vinyl.

• I'm just here to throw Tony Levin on the pile.