Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Time Keepers

These have been in the works for years, but you guy's know how it is. Life gets in the way, and I'm guilty of having several projects going at one time, which means something has got to give and these were shelved only needing finish, but that's the worst part of any build for me, so here they are years later, finally shiny.

kenrhodesrjj454thtrySilver1omoRon_EdcibelTurn26thplanetPWRRYDS7910and 3 others.

Comments

• Why did you use ugly in your username? Your work is definitely not ugly. It's frilling awesome.

rjj45
  • Wow, I'm impressed by the inlay look Nick. Apply your typical crossover skill and I think you have a great shot at the MWAF under $200 category (assuming the drivers don't put you over). BTW, what drivers are they?

• edited October 2021

Heehee, my favorite guessing game...
    W4-656
    25-1719

• edited October 2021

@Kornbread said:
    Why did you use ugly in your username? Your work is definitely not ugly. It's frilling awesome.

Have you seen me? I'm freaking hideous. Quasimodo! Just kidding the ugly woofer thing was kind of a joke, because PE was getting in a bunch of buyouts, guys were complaining that some of the woofers were ugly, and half of my builds have grills anyway, it was just humorous to me.

• @Ed_Perkins said:
    Wow, I'm impressed by the inlay look Nick. Apply your typical crossover skill and I think you have a great shot at the MWAF under $200 category (assuming the drivers don't put you over). BTW, what drivers are they?

Ed, these were a pain to construct....16 sides, but these actually have a matching sub, I just haven't veneered it yet, so they would have to go into the Friday rounds if I took them.

Silver1omoPWRRYD4thtry
  • @Wolf said:
    Heehee, my favorite guessing game...
    W4-656
    25-1719

And Ben for the win! Our resident driver encyclopedia.

PWRRYD
  • That subwoofer looks gigantic. I'm guessing about 2.5 cu ft. I like how the port position echos the tweeters on the satellites. That should look really cool when set up for playback.

• It's actually only 35l give or take. It uses the RSS210HF-4 with a f3 of 27 is hz and the model shows that it should be good for 101db down to 25hz.

rjj45
  • Nifty units, Nick!

• Here's the sub measurement.

jr@mac4thtry
  • Near field measurement? Passive xo LP?

• edited November 2021

Near field of the woofer + port. It's equalized flat with the Dayton 250w dsp plate amp. I used no more than 2db boost or cut on any band.

rjj45
  • Please don't tell me these subs will be placed directly under the mains instead of shoved all over the room. Yodass will be pissed! lol

• Only one sub, centered........let the anger begin.

• Bill thinks you're an idiot lol

• It's ok, I am!

rjj45
  • How did you capture the woofer plus port? Midfield measurement or summation in Omni mic?

I don't think you could photoshop a better graph :)

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I took near field measurements of the woofer and port, and then scaled the port, which had to be reduced -6.8db, and finally summed the two. The in room response won't be that pretty but it's a good base line.

• Here is the evolution of the satellite's polar response from my initial crossover guess to what I consider optimized.

6thplanetdynamo
  • And here's the on axis response. It's only accurate to about 500hz at the moment.

kenrhodes4thtryrjj456thplanet
  • I installed some bracing. The first two photos are the top of the cabinet

The bottom of the cabinet.

6thplanetjr@macrjj454thtry

• I laid the port against the wall to gain some free length. Okay let the jokes begin.

• Old school tuning tricks right there.

I have a signature.
  • Why no treatment to the edge of the port?

• The port isn't actually glued together yet, I just assembled it dry to get the photo. I haven't tested it for noise at this point, so I'm unsure if an edge treatment is necessary, but if it is, I'll create some kind of radius that blends the edge into the side wall of the cabinet and flairs outward.

• Cool, looked like it had glue residue. My OCD wouldn't let it not be smoothed over, regardless if it needed it or not.🤷🏻‍♂️