Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Anyone interested in Bozhen tweeters?

I'm going to buy a pair of Bozhen CQ76B tweeters from the manufacturer in China. Shipping for a single pair is ridiculous though and they offer a small discount on 2+ pairs. I am NOT trying to do a formal group buy or anything but since these aren't carried in the US that I know of I thought I'd check for interest here before ordering. They will be a little less than $150 each for CQ76B or $125 each CQ76.

PM me if interested. Mods, please move to classifieds if you think that is more appropriate.

Comments

• I've been interested in these for awhile, but never heard a pair to find out if I like them or not.
    Sorry, but I can't commit at this time.

Good luck!

• What's a CQ76 B? I know there is a plain CQ76 and a CQ76H for horn loaded, but I've never heard of a "B" version.

• Interested - same questions as ugly_woofer.
    IIRC, Rick Craig used them in several designs, which is a strong endorsement for me.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited May 2022

The B version is the newest version, it has a slightly wider diaphragm and bigger back cavity, a little less distortion and can go down to 1000Hz. There is also a smaller Q66 which would be approx. $130 ea.

www.bzspeakers.com/index_en.html

I know Rick used Bozhen tweeters in several designs. He used the B version and a Purifi midwoofer in his Purezza which was scored one of the highest "preference scores" ever on AudioScienceReview (reviewed by Erins Audio Corner, not Amirn). Curt Campbell used the non-B version in his Helios which I know some on here have heard at a DIY Dakota event years ago.

Even though I'm going to get the B version, I mentioned the non-B version because I can see that being preferred in some applications (and because its cheaper :) ).

jr@macPWRRYDrjj45
  • edited May 2022

The CQ76B is an updated version of the CQ76. From the Bozhen website:

Question: What's the major difference between CQ76B and CQ76?

Answer:
    CQ76B was designed for our DDQ8-2 new type woofer to build large size 2-way cabinet at first. It has wider diaphragm and bigger back cavity for the purpose of extending its low-end freq limit(crossover@1000Hz & THD < 1%) and matching bigger calibre woofers(12-15 inch traditional woofer with rubber or foam surround, etc). What's more, when it works with our patented woofer DDQ8-2 (crossover@1000Hz) in a large size box (sealed box with a 140L volume) it will give you a perfect 2-way Hi-Fi system. But this achievement was acquired at the cost of high-end freq limit. CQ76B could only reach to 28000Hz.

CQ76 could work at 1500Hz reliably(it could match with our DDQ6-2 or 8~10inch traditional woofer for most middle size home 2-way Hifi systems) and its high-end freq limit could reach to 32000Hz.

Link: https://bzspeakers.com/ribbon76b_en.html

• I have a pair of 76's on the shelf, but what the hell, I'm in for a set of B's. I'm thinking waveguide like the yellow guys, but wider and shallower.

• Awesome Nick. I'll wait until about mid-next week to see what other interest there is and then PM you.

• Works for me.

• I am interested, but the details on the website is sparse. Any other measurements or builds with these?

• edited May 2022

Rick Craig was both an ODM and distributor for them.
    They are very approachable and responsive to email.
    There’s probably an opportunity for someone to be a distributor; now that Fountek seem to be asleep.

I queried them week; and got sent the whole 2022 price list.

There’s some review online on AudioExpress or Voice Coil test bench; and they seem a competent product and can at least crossover below 3Khz AFAIK.

I also asked for some distortion measurements on their Large 10” woofer and they were accomodating but I can’t make head or tail of what this thing actually is; apart from being rather expensive and untested by a third party.

So I haven’t gone through with the order neither ; they look like good products. If only shipping to Australia wasn’t darn expensive (but that’s nothing new)

• edited May 2022

Maybe Jim Holtz can reach out to Curt for us and get his experience/opinion of them.

• @ani_101 said:
    I am interested, but the details on the website is sparse. Any other measurements or builds with these?

I was wondering when you would jump in Ani.

ani_101
  • I'm in for a pair of the Bs. Let me know next steps.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • The woofers are similar to LAT and Heil Transar methhods. Opposed diaphragms and all that with rods connecting things. Main difference is the motors are not mounted directly opposed, but off about 20-30° off from vertical. I suppose the operation is also not dissimilar from a Ripolar assembly, with the components closer at the rear of the design than the front to avoid the cavity resonance.

tktran
  • @ugly_woofer said:

@ani_101 said:
    I am interested, but the details on the website is sparse. Any other measurements or builds with these?

I was wondering when you would jump in Ani.

The B looks interesting, though doubtful about the "can be reliably crossed at 1000Hz".

Put me down for a pair of the B's. Will see how low they can be pulled down... 1200? 1500? 1800?

• I can confirm that the review:
    https://audioxpress.com/article/test-bench-an-updated-cq76-ribbon-tweeter-from-bozhen-new-audio-lab

is not the B version.

Have you been in Liaision with them? Did you ask for distortion measurements?

I don’t want to push my luck…

If there is an order of over 14 drivers we can request a round faceplate version (130mm diameter). I’m not sure if that’s a good idea; or whether the standard rectangular one is easier to cut…

• @rjj45 said:
    I'm in for a pair of the Bs. Let me know next steps.

Don, Ani, anyone else interested - I'll PM you Wednesday or Thursday to make sure you are still interested. I don't know actual shipping - shipping for one pair to the U.S. was $66 ($33 per driver) so I'm hoping there are significant economies of scale. (I'll share the per-unit prices via PM but since the manufacturer emailed it and has clearly chosen not to post in on his website I don't want to make it public.) I'll place the order with manufacturer which is 12 hours ahead time-zone, and then let everyone know the final actual prices. I'll try to figure out what domestic shipping from me to you will be before then. Depending on when they arrive to the U.S. I can ship them to people or bring them to MWAF for anyone going who cares to save on domestic shipping.

I have to pay mfg via bank wire transfer. We can figure out payment to me via PM. I can do Paypal, Venmo, in-person at MWAF or anything else reasonable that works.

• edited May 2022

@tktran said:
    I can confirm that the review:
    https://audioxpress.com/article/test-bench-an-updated-cq76-ribbon-tweeter-from-bozhen-new-audio-lab

is not the B version.

Have you been in Liaision with them? Did you ask for distortion measurements?

The mfg has distortion graphs on the driver page using "SoundCheck" and also in the link on that page "LMS SPL Curves" using LMS. But I assumed because of the newness of the manufacturer you were looking for independent measurements. I knew that AudioExpress had not done the B version, but I think the quality of the Q66 and Q76 demonstrates that they are quality drivers.

The question then is not whether they are good, but how good are they and whether they are worth the money. I particularly need a ribbon type tweeter (ribbon, planar, AMT) than can cross to about 2Khz and$150 for a tweeter is a weird middle ground. Raal, Viawave and Beyma are much higher, Dayton AMTPRO-4, some Aurum Cantus ribbons, and Airborne RT-5002 are around this price but only the Dayton can go that low, is more expensive and drops off quickly on the high end. If I was okay with a dome tweeter then there are a lot more options under $150 and even under $100.

I know that Rick Craig used Bozhen drivers for quite awhile although I think the Purezza are the only ones with the B version. Rick used Raal, Scanspeak, etc. and designed very well regarded speakers. He was in business to make money so he must have decided they were very good value or he could have used other drivers. It's fun to try new drivers on the market so if he used them just once I'd be skeptical, but he tried them and then kept using them as one of his go-to drivers.

I know you are in Australia and I have heard the horror stories of shipping costs. Once I receive my pair I'll take some measurements and post here and probably Parts Express and Diyaudio. My measurements won't come close to AudioExpress' quality and rigor - I have REW, ARTA and a Dayton Audio microphone - but at least it will give you another sample of data.

• Bozhen is not a new company, as they've been around at least 10 years. I wish I could get a set of the B, but can't currently. Just of note, these are not true ribbons or planars and actually have voice coils. The diaphragms are not as fragile as the alternatives. They are just made in such a way to have the same kind of polar response.

jholtz
  • edited May 2022

Before Rick's passing, tweeters came up in conversation. He thought of the ribbon(esque) tweeters, Raal was #1 while viawave and Bozhen were #2, and then there was everything else. He felt the value proposition was higher with Bozhen, so he ended up using them more.

I personally have not heard any of the 3.

Regarding shipping to Australia, there are massive maritime constraints, and thus, crazy costs. I'm struggling with it every day at work.

• @PWRRYD said:
    Maybe Jim Holtz can reach out to Curt for us and get his experience/opinion of them.

I didn't get a chance to connect with Curt over the weekend, but I do have measurements and Curt's comments from when he did the design for Leon.

I really liked the sound of them, and they crossed low for a ribbon style tweeter. I thought the design Curt did for Leon was excellent. I contacted Rick about them but he was reluctant to quote prices and didn't follow up with me on some questions that I had regarding availability.

But, they are a very nice low distortion driver that will pair well with just about any 7" and smaller driver. From my perspective, not having a distributor here in the states is a showstopper. If you have any problems there's basically no one to talk to get it resolved. I've encouraged Mark to carry them but didn't get much feedback.

Anyhow, here is a measurement and a clip of Curt's remarks.

Jim

The bottom line: I'll be darned if they aren't capable of exactly what they claim. At 2.8v that 2nd harmonic peak was about 0.7%, while the rest of it was around 0.3%. -And clear down to 1500 Hz too! At 8v that peak doubled to just over 1.4%, but the rest of the pass band stayed below 1%.

• and Airborne RT-5002 are around this price.......there are a lot more options under $150 and even under $100.

Wait, the RT5002 aren't $150 each now are they!? Looking up now.....
    They were only $78 or so when i used them, and i see they are now $118.

They were the only tweeter that did the chimes/bells warble accurately at the last Chicago DIY. Everything else hit the note, but the decay was wrong. That really impressed me. If you can do 3.5k, or waveguide it to go lower, they are really hard to beat. See OscarJr's HD measurements for further information.

• I got 2 pairs of the RT5002 from Oscar, and used one pair in a MTM MLTL with 2 R176CP - really liked that a lot. Now I want to compare the other pair of RT5002 with the Bozhen Bs. Honestly, like most men my age, my hearing above 10K is pretty shot, but I know I can hear big differences in tweeters just the same.

• Wait, the RT5002 aren't $150 each now are they!? Looking up now.....
    They were only $78 or so when i used them, and i see they are now $118.

I do realize that saying $150 and $118 are "roughly" the same price is a little subjective. This $150ish price is in a weird spot. Don't know if you have noticed but the AMTPRO-4 is $180 and the AMT3-4 is $120!!

• Yeah, lots of prices have gone up for sure....

• @e6zion said:
    Raal was #1 while viawave and Bozhen were #2, and then there was everything else.

I was recently reading a 2020 thread at Audio Slcience Review and Joachim Gearhard was building a new speaker for his new company and stated Viawave was the lowest distortion driver he could find. I looked into them and they are $300 each which I just can't pull the trigger on with my lack of speaker building knowledge. So I started looking for "the next next thing" and ended up here buying some Bozhens and trying to save some money on shipping (because I'm cheap).

• I'm happy to be in on a pair of Bs, but can you send my pair to Ben to have a play with?

Once he's done with them he can ship them to me in Australia. I pay shipping. To be honest i'll be probably cost the same as China -> AUS.

No strings attached and no pressure Ben. I know you go ta lont on your plate

• Hi all. I will be placing the order with Bozhen tonight. Right now I have 4 people - ugly_woofer, rjj45, ani_101, and tktran. If anyone else is interested please let me know today. I don't have the final estimate for shipping from China to me, but the tweeters will be very close to $280 **pair **+ domestic shipping to your location (est. $15). I will be at MWAF and can deliver in person to anyone else is going there if you want to save the domestic shipping. The shipping from China is pretty expensive but is NOT on the "slow-boat" so I think they will get here reasonably quick.

rjj45ani_101tktran