Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New 3 way project with PLA200-6 planar

Comments

• PWRRYD said:
    Next up....  fill them with sun dried pool filter sand.  Should add about 10 pounds each!
    Ooh, sun dried is the best! Preserves and intensifies all the audio flavor...
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Sun-dried if fine and all, I prefer fire roasted. Nothing like the crispy carmalized sounds of heavy metal sand rock!
  • edited August 2019
    Ben,
    Marked them, drew a pencil line, then cut them on the table saw.
  • The tubes are packed tight with dry pool filter sand.  The sand added a whopping 13.7 pounds per enclosure!!!  These babies are gonna be dead :)

JasonPjhollanderkennykNicholas_23hifiside
  • edited August 2019
    Can you hear the sand moving in the tubes?  Just wondering how you pack the sand to keep it from moving. (edited my original poor wording)
  • Yes I had to pack it in there real tight.  Otherwise you could hear the sand moving when you shook the speaker up and down.  I used a large drift punch and kept packing it in there, shake, add some more, pack it some more, etc.  Took about 1/2 hour per tube.  It was obvious when the tube was completely full and would not accept another grain.  And now there is zero sand moving sound.
  • That is just hot glue I used to seal off the sand holes.
  • PWRRYD said:
    Yes I had to pack it in there real tight.  Otherwise you could hear the sand moving when you shook the speaker up and down.  I used a large drift punch and kept packing it in there, shake, add some more, pack it some more, etc.  Took about 1/2 hour per tube.  It was obvious when the tube was completely full and would not accept another grain.  And now there is zero sand moving sound.
    A vibrator would have worked great. No, not THAT kind of vibrator. Any kind of "home remedy" muscle vibrators would work well. We used something similar when pouring concrete walls.
    Nicholas_23
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • rjj45 said:
    A vibrator would have worked great. No, not THAT kind of vibrator. Any kind of "home remedy" muscle vibrators would work well. We used something similar when pouring concrete walls.
    A 1/4 sheet sander works as a vibrator as well...
    rjj45S7910kennykPWRRYD
  • Some great news!  I found some time this morning and was able to take FR and distortion measurements of the PLA200 planars and the RT1.3WE tweeters in their "big round -over" enclosures.  The PLA's were only surface mounted for this test but the two units measured exactly the same.  Nice and smooth FR and low distortion in the pass band.  So it's a green light to go ahead and veneer the enclosures and build a template to rebate the planars.  On a subjective note, the mids sounded super clean and clear when the OmniMic Lady announced the tracks  B)
    kennykrjj45S79106thplanetBrannigansLaw
  • how low and how high can you cross the mids?
  • At first glance I would say roughly 700 to 5000 no problem.
    ani_101kennykrjj45
  • Those look pretty nice compared to the neo8's they're kinda modeled after. Except it doesn't have that wicked peak at 15K, so bonus for it!!!
  • edited August 2019
    I hate using the router to rebate odd shaped drivers.  A little careless router work booger'd up one of my enclosures.  I have way too much time and effort invested in these things to just scrap them.  I'm going to fix them then use a conventional round frame driver for the midrange instead of these planars.  I'll save the planars for a future project, but they will be rear mounted to a removable baffle next time.
    jholtz
  • It would be nice if suppliers would sent a 1/4" plastic cut out template with the drivers for flush mounting.
  • For my C-cake build I had Mike CNC me two baffle pieces for the AMT3-4, saved me a ton of time, and of course they were perfect.
  • Yeah.  I should have reached out to Mike.  As it stands, I feel like I've taken so many steps backwards :(

Not enough time to finish these before the Meniscus event.  Hopefully in time for Iowa.
  • any updates on these? Looks like you switched drivers, what did you choose and how did it work out?
  • That project is on the back burner right now.  I switched from the planar mids to Tang Band W4-1320SIF bamboo cones.
  • edited October 2019
    After listening to so many truly great sounding speakers in Iowa this past weekend, I drove home inspired to get as many enclosures as I can finished before the snow flies.  Then I can spend the cold months measuring, designing, voicing and enjoying.  This project is the first one I plan to complete.  Tonight I will give them their final light sanding.  Hopefully have the enclosures completely finished this weekend.
    BrannigansLawani_101Turn24thtryS7910kennyk
  • Finished the final sanding last night.  Tonight I did a bit of color matching on wood putty that fills my router tearout goofs.  Can't wait to start measurements and crossover design (my favorite parts).
  • Your on a building spree dude!
  • I'm crazy like that.
  • edited October 2019
    I applied the first coat of the 1:1:1 ratio of boiled linseed oil, turpentine, and gloss poly after work tonight.  Unfortunately the temperature is dropping quickly so I had to close the garage door and fire up the garage furnace.  That turpentine flat out stinks!  My wife isn't very happy with me right now   :s
  • A few pics:

hifiside4thtry6thplanetTurn2S7910ThumperTomkennyk
  • Looks great...! I need to make a bass bin that I can use with multiple speakers
  • Ditto.  And now you're into the fun part, measurements and xover design.